4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2023 2:12AM in Sports Talk
   Montana.                   Young

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Joe Montana or Steve Young

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    Tie

I really want to give the slight edge to Young but I voted tie.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve

I will take Steve thank you

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe

If I were a player in the NFL and I could choose any quarterback in history to go into battle with, it would be Montana. I've read a lot about him, the kind of man he is, the kind of player he was. Ronnie Lott said, "If I knew I was going to die, I'd probably want to sit there and just stare at him. Because he's going to instill something in me that's going to say, 'You've still got another one. You've still got another one. You've still got another one." That's the kind of impact he made on his teammates, on Ronnie Lott, a man who gave up one of his fingers to continue playing football.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe

Joe Montana is the 2nd GOAT behind Tom Brady.

• Options
    edited September 21, 2023 5:34AM
    Joe

@doubledragon said:
    If I were a player in the NFL and I could choose any quarterback in history to go into battle with, it would be Montana. I've read a lot about him, the kind of man he is, the kind of player he was. Ronnie Lott said, "If I knew I was going to die, I'd probably want to sit there and just stare at him. Because he's going to instill something in me that's going to say, 'You've still got another one. You've still got another one. You've still got another one." That's the kind of impact he made on his teammates, on Ronnie Lott, a man who gave up one of his fingers to continue playing football.

Tough to disagree with that about Montana.

I choose Brady for GOAT because of his many accomplishments.

Of course Bill Belichick, as we all know and understand, had a lot to do with "creating" what Tom Brady accomplished. And let's not forget that Bill Walsh did a heckuva job designing innovative game plans for Joe Montana to skillfully execute.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe

I take Joe. He is my 2nd all time in the GOAT list.

with his efficiency, I would have loved to see him play in todays game. I think his stats would have been insane and he probably would have played longer as he most likely wouldnt have sustained the major injuries that he did in the 80s

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe

Before TB he was the GOAT

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe

I voted for Montana for all the wrong reasons- I remember the ND-Houston Cotton Bowl Game- Montana orchestrated one of the greatest 4th quarter comebacks I have ever witnessed- albeit it was witnessed on TV-That was truly amazing. Playing against Montana tells me that the game is really never over until there is no time left on the clock. One can not assign value or weight to that type of emanant threat.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Tie

@coinkat said:
    I voted for Montana for all the wrong reasons- I remember the ND-Houston Cotton Bowl Game- Montana orchestrated one of the greatest 4th quarter comebacks I have ever witnessed- albeit it was witnessed on TV-That was truly amazing. Playing against Montana tells me that the game is really never over until there is no time left on the clock. One can not assign value or weight to that type of emanant threat.

Loved that Cotton Bowl.
    Totally agree. Great comeback.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    Joe

That Cotton Bowl game is known as the chicken soup game, because Montana had hypothermia during the first half, his core temperature was low, so at halftime he went into the lockerroom and ate warm chicken soup to get his body temperature back up enough that the doctors would let him go back in, and then went out in the second half and did his thing. That's one of the things that made Montana so great, he was willing to go to the edge of the abyss for you, he took one heck of a beating in his career, Steve Young said this about Montana, "how many weeks did I see him on Wednesday and say there's no way. There are tons of times in games when I thought there was no physical way he could play, and he would play, and play well." Steve Young really came to admire Joe Montana, and respect the heck out of him, he has a Joe Montana jersey hanging up in his office. But that was one thing about Montana, he was always playing hurt in some way, and he was willing to damn near die for the game if he had two. Since retirement, he's had over two dozen surgeries, all over his body, including a neck fusion, injuries literally forced him to retire.

• Options
    edited September 21, 2023 12:25PM
    Joe

This hit by Leonard Marshall broke Montana's hand, cracked his ribs, bruised his sternum and stomach and gave him a concussion. Steve Young sprinted onto the field in concern and got to Joe first.

• Options
    edited September 21, 2023 12:43PM
    Joe

Montana got knocked out of three different playoff games with hits that would now be illegal. Giants nose tackle Jim Burt hit him in 1987, and on TV the camera settled on Montana seeming to mumble. He was knocked cold and taken away in the back of an ambulance.

• Options
    Joe

Love this photo of Steve Young checking on Montana. Like I said, Steve Young really grew to admire Montana, and in Steve Young's autobiography he has nothing but nice things to say about Montana.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Joe

@doubledragon said:
    This hit by Leonard Marshall broke Montana's hand, cracked his ribs, bruised his sternum and stomach and gave him a concussion. Steve Young sprinted onto the field in concern and got to Joe first.

While the NFL game has gotten a little bit "softer" over the years, it's still a very rough game. And I do fully agree with the rules protecting the QB. The QB's overall are generally the stars of the game. It's bad business to see your star player get decimated which could create less fan interest.

If it happens to a back or other position, well then that's part of the game. But the QB is very vulnerable back there, an open target, and it's no disgrace to protect him as much as possible within reason.

I recall the hit on Terry Bradshaw some years ago. Where the defensive player had him in his grasp, the play was over, and he picked up Bradshaw and threw him to the ground, obviously with the full intent to injure. That cannot be tolerated, and thankfully it isn't any longer.

• Options
    Joe

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

While the NFL game has gotten a little bit "softer" over the years, it's still a very rough game. And I do fully agree with the rules protecting the QB. The QB's overall are generally the stars of the game. It's bad business to see your star player get decimated which could create less fan interest.

If it happens to a back or other position, well then that's part of the game. But the QB is very vulnerable back there, an open target, and it's no disgrace to protect him as much as possible within reason.

I recall the hit on Terry Bradshaw some years ago. Where the defensive player had him in his grasp, the play was over, and he picked up Bradshaw and threw him to the ground, obviously with the full intent to injure. That cannot be tolerated, and thankfully it isn't any longer.

I agree, the game wouldn't be fun to watch if all the star quarterbacks were injured, they definitely made the right move protecting them. I remember the hit you're talking about, very brutal, Joe "Turkey" Jones basically body slammed Bradshaw on his head, could have Killed him. Steve Young's career ended on a hit, in which he was literally knocked out cold, so they definitely made the right decision protecting the quarterbacks.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young had a little stronger arm and was a much better runner. I have him at #2 ever so I'd take him ahead of Montana but you're certainly not wrong if you pick Joe.

• Options
    Joe

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I agree, the game wouldn't be fun to watch if all the star quarterbacks were injured, they definitely made the right move protecting them. I remember the hit you're talking about, very brutal, Joe "Turkey" Jones basically body slammed Bradshaw on his head, could have Killed him. Steve Young's career ended on a hit, in which he was literally knocked out cold, so they definitely made the right decision protecting the quarterbacks.

I think this probably had its early roots with Joe Namath. Joe at that time was by far the most popular and well known player in the league, especially after he won that famous Super Bowl. And the ladies loved him, drawing in women also as fans to watch the games.

It was an unwritten rule and I never saw it violated, not to go after Joe's knees during a game, and no player did. Because every player knew that Joe lifted up everyone in the NFL resulting in higher ratings, and thus more money for the owners and players. May have given the Jets a little added edge during the games, but I believe it was well worth it to everyone.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I think this probably had its early roots with Joe Namath. Joe at that time was by far the most popular and well known player in the league, especially after he won that famous Super Bowl. And the ladies loved him, drawing in women also as fans to watch the games.

It was an unwritten rule and I never saw it violated, not to go after Joe's knees during a game, and no player did. Because every player knew that Joe lifted up everyone in the NFL resulting in higher ratings, and thus more money for the owners and players. May have given the Jets a little added edge during the games, but I believe it was well worth it to everyone.

Completely false.
    In the Joe Namath biography by Mark Kriegel, it's stated that opposing players tried to hurt Namath whenever they could. In fact, Joe drew a "smiley face" on his uniform pants over his surgically repaired knee before a game and he was hit there right away injuring it again.
    Then there's Ben Davidson (see photo) who punched Joe in the face so hard he broke his jaw.
    Namath is quoted as saying the defensive motto back then was "kill the quarterback".

If I remember correctly, Roger Staubach retired because he had suffered multiple concussions.
    If there was an "unwritten rule" a lot of guys didn't read it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2023 8:06PM
    Joe

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Completely false.
    In the Joe Namath biography by Mark Kriegel, it's stated that opposing players tried to hurt Namath whenever they could. In fact, Joe drew a "smiley face" on his uniform pants over his surgically repaired knee before a game and he was hit there right away injuring it again.
    Then there's Ben Davidson (see photo) who punched Joe in the face so hard he broke his jaw.
    Namath is quoted as saying the defensive motto back then was "kill the quarterback".

If I remember correctly, Roger Staubach retired because he had suffered multiple concussions.

I watched a number of games after Joe's knees were known to be shot, and everything I stated occurred, or should I say didn't occur as far as defensive players tackling Joe at the knees.

I'm not sure exactly the time or year that the "unwritten rule" was put into place, sometime after him winning the Super Bowl, but it definitely was there. If there are any full Jets games on Youtube with Namath as their QB, you can observe this for yourself.

The "unwritten rule" was specifically for Joe Namath, not for anyone else that I am aware of. This was mentioned many times by newspaper reporters and others in media.

If you believe everything that Joe Namath told Mark Kriegel, I suggest you stay away from used car salesmen. Namath has always had a playful spirit. Namath posed scantily clad for various magazines. Look at what Namath did with Suzy Kolber. I could easily see Namath telling his biographer anything he felt like, fact or fiction, and Kriegel would gobble it up like gospel.

Perhaps Namath saw the unwritten rule as pandering or whatever, that defensive players would treat him differently than other quarterbacks. Perhaps Joe being the warrior that he was, saw that as sort of an insult. But that's the way it was, whether Joe liked it or not, or whether Joe cares to acknowledge it or not.

• Options
    Joe

@doubledragon said:
    That Cotton Bowl game is known as the chicken soup game, because Montana had hypothermia during the first half, his core temperature was low, so at halftime he went into the lockerroom and ate warm chicken soup to get his body temperature back up enough that the doctors would let him go back in, and then went out in the second half and did his thing. That's one of the things that made Montana so great, he was willing to go to the edge of the abyss for you, he took one heck of a beating in his career, Steve Young said this about Montana, "how many weeks did I see him on Wednesday and say there's no way. There are tons of times in games when I thought there was no physical way he could play, and he would play, and play well." Steve Young really came to admire Joe Montana, and respect the heck out of him, he has a Joe Montana jersey hanging up in his office. But that was one thing about Montana, he was always playing hurt in some way, and he was willing to damn near die for the game if he had two. Since retirement, he's had over two dozen surgeries, all over his body, including a neck fusion, injuries literally forced him to retire.

I am not a big College Football fan and had never heard the chicken soup story. Thanks for sharing!! that makes me an even bigger fan of Montana. He really was great running the 2 minute drill in pressure situations.

I did know he was often hurt, but played anyways. I think it was 1986 where he had a horrific back injury that they did not think he could come back from. but he did. It is too bad he couldnt have played in more modern times with the protections the QBs have today.

• Options
    Joe

@doubledragon said:
    Love this photo of Steve Young checking on Montana. Like I said, Steve Young really grew to admire Montana, and in Steve Young's autobiography he has nothing but nice things to say about Montana.

That is a fantastic photo.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Completely false.

I watched a number of games after Joe's knees were known to be shot, and everything I stated occurred, or should I say didn't occur as far as defensive players tackling Joe at the knees.

I'm not sure exactly the time or year that the "unwritten rule" was put into place, sometime after him winning the Super Bowl, but it definitely was there. If there are any full Jets games on Youtube with Namath as their QB, you can observe this for yourself.

The "unwritten rule" was specifically for Joe Namath, not for anyone else that I am aware of. This was mentioned many times by newspaper reporters and others in media.

If you believe everything that Joe Namath told Mark Kriegel, I suggest you stay away from used car salesmen. Namath has always had a playful spirit. Namath posed scantily clad for various magazines. Look at what Namath did with Suzy Kolber. I could easily see Namath telling his biographer anything he felt like, fact or fiction, and Kriegel would gobble it up like gospel.

Perhaps Namath saw the unwritten rule as pandering or whatever, that defensive players would treat him differently than other quarterbacks. Perhaps Joe being the warrior that he was, saw that as sort of an insult. But that's the way it was, whether Joe liked it or not, or whether Joe cares to acknowledge it or not.

AFTER Namath's knees were destroyed, some players probably stopped trying to hurt him, just like AFTER Bobby Orr (had to get him in the conversation) had multiple surgeries, guys might have taken things a bit easier.

You're hilarious in believing newspaper reporters and dismissing a biographer who actually is writing a factual account instead of spouting off a bunch of unsubstantiated opinions to generate "buzz".

In fact in the book you haven't read, the writer tells a story where Namath ran the ball in from the goal line late in his career (1974) when nobody thought he would, because he could barely run, so yes, when Joe was basically a player with destroyed knees, guys quit hitting him.

MAYBE in his last 3 seasons guys took it easy on him, before that, not so much.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Joe

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Completely false.

AFTER Namath's knees were destroyed, some players probably stopped trying to hurt him, just like AFTER Bobby Orr (had to get him in the conversation) had multiple surgeries, guys might have taken things a bit easier.

You're hilarious in believing newspaper reporters and dismissing a biographer who actually is writing a factual account instead of spouting off a bunch of unsubstantiated opinions to generate "buzz".

In fact in the book you haven't read, the writer tells a story where Namath ran the ball in from the goal line late in his career (1974) when nobody thought he would, because he could barely run, so yes, when Joe was basically a player with destroyed knees, guys quit hitting him.

MAYBE in his last 3 seasons guys took it easy on him, before that, not so much.

There's a book out there which I'm not going to mention because it's off topic for this forum, which is supposed to be an autobiography, which many agree is likely over 90% fiction. So dam right I'd rather trust a source that was there at the time, observing and reporting on the games, even if it was to generate buzz. Than a biography written years later that could very well be embellished and fictionalized...also to generate buzz.

Although it's possible the number of women Joe had wasn't fictionalized. But I have my doubts about the Wilt Chamberlain number. 🤣