Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Another Palestine 50 Mil dated 1931 is being sold by HA / PF or MS?

https://coins.ha.com/itm/palestine/palestine-british-mandate-50-mils-1931-ms64-pcgs-/a/61336-24132.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

I just noticed this. It is being sold as MS64, but the slab says PF64.
I never saw this piece as far as I recall, has anyone else seen this one?
is it MS or PF?

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 10:57AM

I really do not like to see threads/subjects such as this remain unanswered.

I suspect the easiest answer is to just conclude it is a mechanical error at PCGS. And that is likely what the Auction Co did unless they choose to take a deeper dive into whether Proof or SP examples even exist for the date. I don't know enough about the series to answer that question. All I can write is that stranger things have happened in that either Proofs or some sort of SP coins exist. And if they do exist, the mintage and surviving population would be minimal as in perhaps never making it to the mainstream.

I like the coin. I will not opine as to whether it is a Proof or some sort of SP. I will write that it has enough unusual characteristics to the point I would need to see in hand before concluding the easy way out which is mechanical error. There is a shallow sharpness about the coin that leads me to be open minded as to whether it was just a commercial strike or something beyond that.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:
    is it MS or PF?

Description it is fixed.

Seems this coin is worthy of something more in terms of highlighting the rarity of it being a Proof- it is the only one graded as such at PCGS. I suspect that somewhere there is a fascinating story behind the issuance of this coin- should be fun to watch

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely there is, as I have never heard or seen this date in PF. In MS grades it is supposedly rare.

Interesting HA does not state anything more than a one line grade comment.

The first year of this British ruled Mandate series , in 1927, was the year that proofs were struck.
    As presentation gifts, unsure to whom, but in single denom (7pcs) or double denoms (14 pcs, Obv & Rev of each denom) in felt cases, not many are around and are considered quite scarce.

@coinkat thanks for the response and not letting it go to the dust bin.

This is a big deal and there should be much more interest-