Options

Drew Brees or John Elway

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Drew Brees or John Elway

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not fair to compare

the game is so different from when the 2 played in their primes.

I think Elway was as physically gifted as any QB who ever played. A huge arm, fast, strong. I wonder how he would have fared if he could have played in SF or Miami or Buffalo or any number of places where his talent could have been maximized.

I guess we will never know.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    Not fair to compare

@craig44 said:

I think Elway was as physically gifted as any QB who ever played. A huge arm, fast, strong. I wonder how he would have fared if he could have played in SF or Miami or Buffalo or any number of places where his talent could have been maximized.

Many times it’s difficult to compare with NFL QB’s.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I don’t understand. When he was beating hell out of the chiefs it sure seemed like he was maximizing his talents.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not fair to compare

Still Otto Graham for me.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Not fair to compare

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

I don’t understand. When he was beating hell out of the chiefs it sure seemed like he was maximizing his talents.

As I recall, Dan Reeves wanted to run the ball down the other teams throat. a run first coach. He would really only unleash John if he found himself down in the 4th quarter.

also, most passing plays were the old 5 or 7 step drop plays. Elway didnt get to play out of the shotgun like most other QB's.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not fair to compare

Two great QBs.

Flacco/Aikman would also be unfair to compare; two good but far from great QBs.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elway

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

Not difficult to compare Aikman and Flacco

There is no comparison.

I know I'm one of the few Aikman defenders here, but please don't tell me anyone would rate Flacco over him.

• Options
    Elway

Elway's stats are of course going to pale in comparison. Who's don't? (Well, other than the GOAT's).

Elway was the prototypical passer, combined with being a great runner, smart, tough, and a leader. But he would probably be underrated by many if not for his late career SB wins barrage.

As for Brees, I consider him overrated. 🤷

• Options
    Not fair to compare

Brees also played the majority of his career in a dome. that should be considered

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

There is no comparison.

I know I'm one of the few Aikman defenders here, but please don't tell me anyone would rate Flacco over him.

Gotta go with Flacco!

• Options
    Elway

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

There is no comparison.

Gotta go with Flacco!

You can't just say "gotta go with Flacco". I need the why. The why!!!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

There is no comparison.

Gotta go with Flacco!

You can't just say "gotta go with Flacco". I need the why. The why!!!

Flacco 67 more td passes but only 6 more int’s than aikman.
    Also Troy underperformed with the great o line he had. Numbers should be much better especially with emmitt helping to open up the passing game, keeping the D honest.

• Options
    Elway

🙄

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elway was more gifted and undoubtedly was hampered playing under Reeves. But he's also overrated. He threw a ton of picks and his 56.9% completion is pretty low. Still, even with that critique, I'd take him over Brees.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I am a Denver Broncos fan I will always choose Mr. Ed as my favorite QB.

In the August, 1979 I was given a tour of the athletic facilities at Stanford University (including the football stadium, Maples Pavilion, etc.) by its new equipment manager (who was the long time equipment manager at the college I attended from 1974 to 1978). During this tour I was taken into the locker room used by the football team. The team was going through fall practice session and I saw Mr. Ed in the locker room (as an 18 year old freshman QB). My first thought on seeing him was "Mr. Ed" :)

• Options

I’ve said this before but what I remember most about Elway is his scrambling ability. Many times I saw Derrick Thomas zeroing in on him and John would somehow avoid him and then either throw for 30 yards or run for 30. Most frustrating qb I’ve seen as a divisional opponent of kc.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elway

I chose Elway, but barely. His two SB wins I credit to Terrell Davis. Both QB'S had their exciting moments. JE with his running always was a factor. But DB had his moments as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Not fair to compare

Elway definitely had better tools: arm, legs.

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    Tie

Both very good QBs