Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

OK, what am I missing here????

FrickFrick Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
edited September 25, 2023 8:56AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

I thought it was a typo, but the seller says he has "multiple offers and will take the highest". I call bull, but....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155782866573

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frick said:
    I thought it was a typo, but the seller says he has "multiple offers and will take the highest". I call bull$hit, but....

Why don’t you believe him? I don’t doubt that he’s received multiple offers. And what makes you think he won’t accept the highest one?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Frick said:
    I thought it was a typo, but the seller says he has "multiple offers and will take the highest". I call bull$hit, but....

Why don’t you believe him? I don’t doubt that he’s received multiple offers. And what makes you think he won’t accept the highest one?

It's the listing price, not the willingness to accept the highest offer. Am I missing something?

• Options
    edited September 19, 2023 3:06PM

@MFeld said:

@Frick said:

@MFeld said:

@Frick said:

It's the listing price, not the willingness to accept the highest offer. Am I missing something?

Yes, you’re missing the point that the seller can ask whatever he wants and his price need not have anything to do with reality. So there’s no reason for you to call BS or make a big deal out of it. Lots of sellers list items for sale at ludicrous prices.

Maybe YOU'RE missing the point. I was curious if this is some super wazoo specialty consecutive CAC Morgan that is actually worth $9,000. If consecutive rattlers ARE worth this much, I'm a millionaire. Also, I looked at his other auctions,and saw similar outrageous prices. Thanks for your response....

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers send offers, usually with a 48-hour clock. The seller is free to accept one or none. It's certainly possible they have received multiple offers.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    Buyers send offers, usually with a 48-hour clock. The seller is free to accept one or none. It's certainly possible they have received multiple offers.

Yes, I get them all the time. I should have mentioned that he indicated multiple offers within less than 2 minutes after this listing went live on eBay. I’ve been out of collecting for about 18 years. I was secretly hoping consecutive rattlers were worth $9,000 😂😂

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2023 3:49PM

You did not miss anything at all. The seller is a liar. He did not receive multiple offers unless they were shill bids and should be reported to EBay and banned.

This tactic lures unsuspecting buyers to believe something that is not true and to rely upon it.

• Options

@1northcoin said:
    You did not miss anything at all. The seller is a liar. He did not receive multiple offers unless they were shill bids and should be reported to EBay and banned.

This tactic lures unsuspecting buyers to believe something that is not true and to rely upon it.

Why don’t you believe he received multiple offers? They wouldn’t have to be anywhere close to the asking price and an offer isn’t the same as a bid. I think you’re way out of line calling him a liar, since you’re not in a position to know what offers he received.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2023 4:08PM

@MFeld said:

@1northcoin said:

Why don’t you believe he received multiple offers? They wouldn’t have to be anywhere close to the asking price and an offer isn’t the same as a bid. I think you’re way out of line calling him a liar, since you’re not in a position to know what offers he received.

Not sure why you are defending the conduct. Maybe you missed the OP's added info that the claim to multiple offers was made within two minutes of the posting.

That said, I have to agree it is otherwise conceivable that the seller listed the item asking for Best Offer and got some lowball offers.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

>
    >
    Would a potential buyer really ever know if there were any offers that were made?
    I ask because I have never sold anything on EBay.
    But if it’s anything like the RE business, you see crazy stuff like this all the time. Seller’s asking 2-3 times FMV. And then after it’s been on the market for a LONG time, they either drop the price or it drops off the market!
    >
    Perhaps I’m not as concerned as to the buyer’s side. I mean if someone is thinking about spending $9k on these 3 coins, they should have did their research and know what they’re getting into, no?
    Caveat emptor!😳😉

• Options

@HillbillyCollector said:

@1northcoin said:

>
    >
    Would a potential buyer really ever know if there were any offers that were made?
    I ask because I have never sold anything on EBay.
    But if it’s anything like the RE business, you see crazy stuff like this all the time. Seller’s asking 2-3 times FMV. And then after it’s been on the market for a LONG time, they either drop the price or it drops off the market!
    >
    Perhaps I’m not as concerned as to the buyer’s side. I mean if someone is thinking about spending $9k on these 3 coins, they should have did their research and know what they’re getting into, no?
    Caveat emptor!😳😉

Another question to which the answer might help is whether a seller is obligated to sell for Best Offer when he advertises x price or Best Offer. If so then I guess he might even be doing a service to others to let them know that there are other offers just like in a regular EBay Auction when you learn if your bid is the highest or not.

Otherwise, it is misleading to imply that one has other offers close to a ridiculous asking price. And yes, the sophisticated buyer would be doing his due diligence, but it is the unsuspecting buyer that can be misled.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    What the frick!?

Has the frick gone frack? ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2023 4:31PM

Fair enough. I assume though that you would agree it is unethical to imply or state one has other offers when that is not the case. Would your auction house be able to trace the timing of other offers in a Best Offer Auction, assuming that is even an option at Heritage similar to what EBay allows?

In this instance I assume EBay should be able to confirm the veracity of the seller's claim two minutes after his posting that he already had multiple offers.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@1northcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@1northcoin said:

Not sure why you are defending the conduct. Maybe you missed the OP's added info that the claim to multiple offers was made within two minutes of the posting.

That said, I have to agree it is otherwise conceivable that the seller listed the item asking for Best Offer and got some lowball offers.

I’m not defending anything. I’m only pointing out, that contrary to what you and the OP stated, it’s perfectly conceivable that the seller received multiple offers (and quickly). For all we know, they could have been strong ones or low-ball offers, but offers, nonetheless. So there was no reasonable basis for calling BS on the seller or calling him a liar. If the two of you had just said that his asking price was outrageous, you wouldn’t have heard a peep out of me.

Apologies, the above response should have included this quote.

• Options

@1northcoin said:
    Fair enough. I assume though that you would agree it is unethical to imply or state one has other offers when that is not the case. Would your auction house be able to trace the timing of other offers in a Best Offer Auction, assuming that is even an option at Heritage similar to what EBay allows?

In this instance I assume EBay should be able to confirm the veracity of the seller's claim two minutes after his posting that he already had multiple offers.

Of course, it would be unethical to lie and state you’ve received offers, if you haven’t. Keep in mind that potential buyers might have sent offers through eBay’s messaging system.

I’m not aware of best offer auctions at Heritage.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frick said:

What do you estimate they are worth? If you want them place an offer. He has a set time to accept, decline or allow the offer(s) to expire.
    He can say he has 1 or 50 offers. That is unimportant info to you... place your best offer out there and see if it gets accepted. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. Also, if you just don't trust the seller take a pass.

Mark

• Options

I don’t want them, I was curious as to the significant value for a couple of consecutive numbered rattlers. That’s it.

• Options

I ignore crap postings on Ebay,

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frick said:
    I don’t want them, I was curious as to the significant value for a couple of consecutive numbered rattlers. That’s it.

To answer your question, I don't think you missed anything and to a coin collector like myself the consecutive numbered rattlers mean nothing. To a slab collector, they may very well mean the world and they may be willing to offer somewhere near $9,000 for them. One never knows.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@1northcoin said:

I've had sales made within minutes of a listing. He also could have offers from other places. People do list on Instagram and other places.

But, honestly, who cares? He can ask whatever he wants. And "I've got offers", even if a lie, is about the lowest level lie imaginable. If you don't want to offer on the coins, don't. And if you don't want to bid against yourself, don't negotiate.

To the OP, what was your inquiry that led him to tell you he had offers? Did you suggest the price was too high?

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I've had sales made within minutes of a listing.

Yes, often !

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

You all don't realize how hot the plastic + CAC market is right now, eh?

For what it's worth, the vast, vast majority of my eBay purchases (6 figures every year) happen within seconds of listing, and I made an offer on this lot shortly after it was listed as well.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    You all don't realize how hot the plastic + CAC market is right now, eh?

For what it's worth, the vast, vast majority of my eBay purchases (6 figures every year) happen within seconds of listing, and I made an offer on this lot shortly after it was listed as well.

LIAR!!!!

;)

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW !!!!!

• Options

That was funny.

• Options
    gowithmygutgowithmygut Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

What the OP is missing is that two of the coins have Gold CAC stickers. There is a large following for that sticker, and they do carry a substantial premium. If you are a collector of Gold CAC stickers and you see a listing for one that has Best Offer there is a great likelihood that an immediate offer is made for what you think they are worth regardless of what the listed price is.

Successful transactions with RYK, Soldi, Cent225, RG, ilmcoins, Jim Tyler, commoncents05, coinduece, Hash Tag, jclovescoins, carsgoby, Smittys, Pittstate03, astrorat, pragmaticgoat, al032184, Rob41281, commoncents05, TexasAKHouston, nankraut, Lakesammman, Wahoo554, Vetter, RedSeals, coinlieutenant and others.https://www.ebay.com/str/GoldenDoubleEagleCoins

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is Ebay. the seller can do anything they want to do. I have had winning bids cancelled because the seller can't find the item only to find the same seller listing it later for a higher price. Don't buy from this seller. it won't change. I do believe that 99% or more of the sellers are very honest and have great standards too. Take a deep breath and just move on, this Turkey will get roasted in due time.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

It’s ebay. Prices, selling angles, stories behind the coins… they run the gamut.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

only thing OP is missing: correct forum. Better for US Coins ...unless he is promoting his coins for sale.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saints for sale here.

$2175 each.

Sorry, no '33s.

• Options

if you dont believe he had several offers .... list a hundred dollar bill for sale on marketplace...

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is EBAY - it doesn't have to make sense.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members