Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which 21 D Walker would you choose?

VetterVetter Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 15, 2023 1:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Both are straight graded by NGC. One a F12 and the other a VF 20. Considering the price difference between F12 and VF20 is almost double. Which one would you choose for a lower mid grade set? There really doesn’t seem to much difference in the overall look to command such a large spread IMHO.

To clear things up. The top coin is VF20 ($1440 bid) and the bottom on is F12 ($780 bid)

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2023 3:36PM

The one on top. Looks better to me and cheaper. edited to reflect the first one was not cheaper and was the higher grade.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

From these photos I like the one on top. The fields on obverse are much cleaner. Especially to the right of Liberty.

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close, but I like the top one better. The fields on the top one present themselves better. The crust on obverse around T and Y is a minor distraction. Bottom one has busier fields, but better crustiness and is a nice half generally speaking. The brighter look for the top piece is more appealing to me as well.
    Both halves are nice key date examples. Either coin is nice. Good luck with your decision.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2023 7:40AM

I don't like this.

Number 2

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2023 8:01AM

I think everyone is ignoring the price difference here. I’m assuming the top one is the VF? I agree that it’s a slightly nicer coin but I wouldn’t pay double the other one for it. The F12 looks almost as nice so if I had to choose, I’d pick the bottom one.

• PClark99PClark99 Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

Go with the cheaper one for sure. Quality is too close to pay extra money for the vf. Take the money saved and buy another coin.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course 1 has better details but obviously 2 if you want to save some money. 2 will look fine in a set if you are cracking out and putting into an album.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2023 12:29PM

Coin one looks better by very slim margin.

It is NOT worth the significant price difference.

The mild discoloration, on the obverse, doesn’t bother me, as it is a heavily circulated coin.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top one for sure.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the spread is significant, I'd choose 1. Way more for your money.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like @JBN, I like both.
    I like the gray color of the second one, but it does have some chatter. I’m guessing coin 1 is the VF. Coin 1 looks F15.

Buy coin 2, crack it, and send it to CACG. You may wind with the cheaper coin in a VF-something holder 😉.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    The one on top. Looks better to me and cheaper.

What makes you think the top one is the 12?

• VetterVetter Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top one is VF20 and the bottom one is F12. Now noted in the 1st post. Sorry I omitted that.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:
    The one on top. Looks better to me and cheaper.

What makes you think the top one is the 12?

Good question. Only because it was listed first, and the text read like this. One a F12 and the other a VF 20. Obviously, I made an incorrect assumption based on the sequence of text. It is clear now that the additional information has been added.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what grade/look the rest of the set is. Assuming you are buying it to be part of a set. I like to make the key dates match the rest of the set.

Mr_Spud

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass on both. The top one i actually like except for the staining on the right of the front. Unfortunately that would bug me too much to enjoy the coin. The bottom one...i don't consider that a straight grade coin, i would not buy it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file