Home Sports Talk
Options

John Riggins or Larry Csonka

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Both great backs.

Riggins caught 2 1/2 more balls over his career because Csonka played with Shula who rarely threw to the fullbacks. Jets threw much more. Skins too.

Look at the awards on the bottom. I’m suprised that’s so one sided.

I don’t know who I’d take.

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2023 9:48AM

Wow talk about a coin flip

I'd make the decision much easier and just wait for Earl Campbell 😊

But too bad Csinka didn't play long ger, it would have been interesting to see how close they could have got to each other

Both were great, tough runners

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta go with Riggins. Csonka at his peak was better than Riggins ever was, but his peak is short and there isn't much else, at least compared to a workhorse like Riggins.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take Riggins. Both were tough runners, but John lasted longer. over 100 TD's

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a tough one. Both of them were beasts.

If it's for one game, I gotta go with Csonka, taking nothing away from Riggins.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earl Campbell was mentioned, and ya can't disagree with that choice.

That being said, Jim Brown is my GOAT.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Riggins

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2023 4:47PM

Tough to say and it kinda depends on what you're wanting. Do you need a guy who will give you 25+ carries? Well, then Riggins is your guy. Csonka had 25 carries in a game only three times. Riggins did it 29 times. Riggins also had twice as many 100-yard games (if we include his two 99-yard games) - 31 vs 16. But Csonka was also a much more efficient runner - 4.3 yards with 2 seasons of 5.0 or higher vs 3.9 with none. Riggins had 250 catches vs 106 for Csonka. Riggins had 104 (rushing) TDs vs 64 for Csonka in just 29 more games.

I think I would lean toward Riggins. 29 more games gets you 40 more TDs, 3200 more yards, and 144 more receptions. But you can certainly make the case for Csonka.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

although when I played grammar school football I wanted the U like Larry... B)