Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Freddie Freeman make it to 3000?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

He turned 34 yesterday and currently sits at 2100 hits.

does he have 900 more in him?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call, I am surprised he is 900 away I figured he would be closer

• Options

if he can have 2 more great seasons like this one and knock 400 or so hits out, i think he can limp his way there in his late 30s

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    if he can have 2 more great seasons like this one and knock 400 or so hits out, i think he can limp his way there in his late 30s

Does he want to do that is the question, he is a family man with hundreds of millions of dollars, I guess it depends on how much he loves the game still

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Does he want to do that is the question, he is a family man with hundreds of millions of dollars, I guess it depends on how much he loves the game still

that is very true. I also read somewhere recently that launch angle and BB rate will be the end of 3000 hit candidates.

lots of guys look promising when they round 2000 hits, it is the last thousand that proves the toughest.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Molitor 1,870 through age 33 season
    Winfield 1,935 through age 33 season.
    Brett 2,095 through age 33 season
    Murray had 2,168 through age 33 season.

Jeter 2,356 through age 33 season
    Yount had 2,602 through age 33 season.

He is well within the trajectory to do so for guys who were more than singles hitters. As stated above, it all depends how long he plays and how well he ages.

Altuve is the same age and he is at 2,026. He at one time looked like a lock but has slowed(in terms of hit totals) considerably.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

He does have four more years on his contract after this year. Barring major injury he will be somewhere between 2,700-2,800 hits at that point.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still going strong so like you guys said probably just a matter of desire.

When Hosmer was with the royals I always hoped he would become as good a hitter as Freeman. I’m not disappointed in hosmer since he was a key player in 2 World Series appearances but clearly nowhere close to future hall of famer Freddie Freeman.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭

Will he get 3000 hits very doubtful. Hes never had 200 hits in his career though he did get 199 once and has only been over 180 3 times in his career. Unless some team will allow him to play until hes in his mid 40s Julio Franco style just collecting some extra hits here and there it highly doubtful. He'd need 150 hits a year for the next 6 years with no injuries in his mid and late 30s.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope he does. Freddie is 100% class.