Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Can anyone tell me what the value is for these 2 items (1928 $1 silver certificate & an uncut sheet)

JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 11, 2023 4:28PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

I have a series 1928 $1 silver certicate and an uncut sheet of 4 - $1 bill (2009). I'm not really into currency but these 2 items caught my interest and just could not pass them up. I paid less than $20 for each item and I wonder if any member on the forum could give me a possible value of the 2 items. Thanks in advance. :)B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answers

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2023 4:31PM Answer ✓

The uncut sheet, a local dealer had them for $10 (and 2x face for $5, $10 and $20). I paid $40 for a 4 sheet of $5 bills. The 1928 A note is in sad shape, probably only $10. You can get a nice one for $50 (like high vf/xf) that I don’t believe yours is worth much.

• Options

@hfjacinto Thanks for the insight and thought. I know condition is #1 with coins and currency too. I paid $18 for the silver certificate shipped. I think I paid around $15 for the 4-$1 uncut sheet (it was in a lot I bought from a friend that was selling his dad's coins and currency to make room in his safe for his GUNS. Thanks again.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwp uncut sheets are cool but they aren’t worth much (at least now, in a few decades they should increase in value). One word of warning the uncut sheet I have came with the same packaging. The sleeve it’s in has plasticized PVC. Plasticized PVC can leach out chemicals that can damage currency. I would remove it from the case and store the note in something that is unplasticized and archive safe.

• Options

This uncut sheet was loose inside the folder and hopefully that won't be a problem down the road. i guess i wiil just have to look at for possible damage every now and then. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the soft plastic starts to become tacky or oily to the touch, it is breaking down and releasing damaging chemicals. It's best not to wait for this to start. Cool and dry storage will delay it the most. Vinyl holders and flea market sun will break down the holders quite rapidly.
    A stiff plastic page protector will do the job. If it's the type with a paper insert, remove this as the paper will often be quite acidic and potentially harmful. Soft plastic (vinyl) should be avoided but if it's hard plastic, it should be OK.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

It's best not to wait for this to start.

-I agree 100% @sellitstore

Went to a workshop on coin/banknote preservation (by a museum curator/expert in the field). She asked us (about 30 in the group) how many had experienced damaged coins/notes & just about everyone raised their hand. (She sighed) Many sellers don't care what they put coins/notes in b/c its not their problem once it leaves their shop (& their profits are marginal). You can cut the damaged sheet up to return to bank but it would be much nicer if it were simply preserved & kept as is.

She often got calls from collectors who wanted her to help restore items they had that were damaged by plastics or moisture. 99% of damage is irreversible (destroyed) & 100% preventable (proper storage). Unfortunately, damaged collector items are much more common than most people realize/acknowledge.

• Options

@sellitstore Thanks for the info.

• Options

@Serial_no_8 Thanks, I will make sure that they are properly stored.

• Options
    SMY_Utah_CollectionSMY_Utah_Collection Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited January 28, 2024 11:16AM Answer ✓

We did this to enjoy our uncut sheets
    They can be acquired rather easily from the US Mint less than 2xs face.
    My wife is really into the Currency side of collecting whereas I enjoy the coins
    These were put in chemical free protective sleeves, museum quality glass, and hung where no direct sunlight would shine on the bills. The blue dot towards the top frame of the 50.00 is from my camera phone not anywhere actually on the frame itself.

• Options

Thank for the info. I have purchased uncut sheets from the mint. these were from a local purchase that a friend had and wanted to sell them i like the look and gave a price he liked. it was less than his dad paid, but we were both happy with the sale/purchase. :)