Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cool historic mouth watering Pictures of vintage sports cards

HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 69 ✭✭✭
edited September 10, 2023 6:21AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Some Cool images of vintage collecting...still looking for the 1985 Sports collectors digest picture of MR. Mint's selling his 1985 1952 high number case find where it had like 50 mantles in virtually unhandled condition...I do remember they were selling them at $3500 each back in 1985. ENJOY!!!

Comments

  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

    To look back on these pics and know that I had the money .........It's very painful.....

    chaz

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2023 6:40AM

    Awesome pics, I've seen the 52 Topps display a bunch of times over the years here

    There is a 53 Topps one floating around somewhere

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2023 5:51AM

    Found it!

  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

    $7k for a 1952 Topps set where the superstars (Mantle) were guaranteed EX-MT. WOW! Also, those 50s and 60s sets could be had for less than $1 per card. 1971 Topps set at 20c per card

    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • @perkdog said:

    Found it!

    SWEET PICS!!!

  • @waxman2745 said:
    $7k for a 1952 Topps set where the superstars (Mantle) were guaranteed EX-MT. WOW! Also, those 50s and 60s sets could be had for less than $1 per card. 1971 Topps set at 20c per card

    Yeah seemingly crazy Low prices back then!!!!

  • @HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

    @waxman2745 said:
    $7k for a 1952 Topps set where the superstars (Mantle) were guaranteed EX-MT. WOW! Also, those 50s and 60s sets could be had for less than $1 per card. 1971 Topps set at 20c per card

    Yeah seemingly crazy Low prices back then!!!!

    One word response: Duh

  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    Found it!

    Looking at the top shelf I thought things were priced in dollars. We've had a lot of inflation.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I love seeing these photos. Mr. Mint though. there is a youtube vid up of him buying from an older guy from wisconsin. Seemed like a total jerk to me. I wouldnt have sold him one thing.

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2023 6:08AM

    @craig44 said:
    I love seeing these photos. Mr. Mint though. there is a youtube vid up of him buying from an older guy from wisconsin. Seemed like a total jerk to me. I wouldnt have sold him one thing.

    Agreed. That guy lost hundreds of thousands within that sale. So did Mr Mint though, because he was focused on selling everything so fast for cash $$$ (fiat paper). LOL. The truth is, Mr. Mint lost more $ than anyone in the card market by tens of millions literally. The PSA 10s and the SGC 9.5 of Mantle 52 Topps were all in his possession and he let all of them go for a few bricks of $100 bills. LMAO! What a fail! B)



  • KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2023 9:31PM

    This is a warehouse pic from the 1960’s.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Might be a little better quality than the one from the OP. I've had this in my file for around 20 years

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think this is the lady from the Mr Mint find. May have been from some other find:

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

    From a 1976 catalog I have. Need a 1952 Topps set? Just request a price, no problem. 😄

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @craig44 said:
    I love seeing these photos. Mr. Mint though. there is a youtube vid up of him buying from an older guy from wisconsin. Seemed like a total jerk to me. I wouldnt have sold him one thing.

    I hear ya. But if he's offering me the highest price, suddenly he's my good friend. 😎

  • HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 69 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2023 4:18AM

    @KurtisJoseph said:
    Here are a couple. One is of Willie Mays touring Topps in 1974.

    I believe the manufacturing shot is from 1975.


    Awesome Pics folks...Thanks for sharing all these nostalgic photos...I think Larry Fritsch was the First full time card dealer in 1970 to make a living on the hobby...I am pretty sure there are probably some more finds to be made in grandma'a attic and candy wholesaler warehouses etc...I'm saving some funds for when they do discover them.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

    @KurtisJoseph said:
    Here are a couple. One is of Willie Mays touring Topps in 1974.

    I believe the manufacturing shot is from 1975.

    Awesome Pics folks...Thanks for sharing all these nostalgic photos...I think Larry Fritsch was the First full time card dealer in 1970 to make a living on the hobby...I am pretty sure there are probably some more finds to be made in grandma'a attic and candy wholesaler warehouses etc...I'm saving some funds for when they do discover them.

    When I was a young kid growing up in Connecticut, a friend of mine's father worked for Topps. Around four or five times during the summer, he would bring home to his son a full sheet of cards for him and his friends to cut out. Jacky would cut out the star cards for himself, and then the rest of us would get the pickins. No problem, it was free cards, great. I moved to Philly in the 5th grade.

    Wasn't easy as a young child with those little play scissors trying to cut into a large sheet like that. But we managed to do it. Although I can't say the proper card measurements were ever done. Lots of very rough cuts. 😄

    I visited the neighborhood and their home in Connecticut a few years back, for the first time since I had moved, and the older lady who immediately remembered me when I stated my name, said that her husband had passed. We fondly talked about old times, how Jacky and her other children were doing, etc. I must admit when I was there, wondering if in her basement or attic, there were any Topps products that her husband brought home over the years. Could be - a find waiting to happen. 😊

  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

    @secretstash said:

    @craig44 said:
    I love seeing these photos. Mr. Mint though. there is a youtube vid up of him buying from an older guy from wisconsin. Seemed like a total jerk to me. I wouldnt have sold him one thing.

    Agreed. That guy lost hundreds of thousands within that sale. So did Mr Mint though, because he was focused on selling everything so fast for cash $$$ (fiat paper). LOL. The truth is, Mr. Mint lost more $ than anyone in the card market by tens of millions literally. The PSA 10s and the SGC 9.5 of Mantle 52 Topps were all in his possession and he let all of them go for a few bricks of $100 bills. LMAO! What a fail! B)

    In fairness to Mr Mint, that is typical for someone who is in the business to make a living. My LCS guy, who has been at this for longer than I have been alive, has this same mentality - you get in and you get out. Gotta make money to pay the bills and put food on the table for the family. There is nothing sacred to him because he's a dealer first.

    I think if I was a dealer, I'd be just like Chris Sewall - he was a collector first and there are still things that he would not part with. However, one thing that I've always been curious about - if someone transitions from a collector to a dealer, at what point do you become desensitized to the point where everything has a price (reasonably speaking)?

    I love the pics. I also love looking at the old ads - what could have been!

  • 19591959 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

    Her name is Jenny.

  • @stevek said:

    @HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

    @KurtisJoseph said:
    Here are a couple. One is of Willie Mays touring Topps in 1974.

    I believe the manufacturing shot is from 1975.

    Awesome Pics folks...Thanks for sharing all these nostalgic photos...I think Larry Fritsch was the First full time card dealer in 1970 to make a living on the hobby...I am pretty sure there are probably some more finds to be made in grandma'a attic and candy wholesaler warehouses etc...I'm saving some funds for when they do discover them.

    When I was a young kid growing up in Connecticut, a friend of mine's father worked for Topps. Around four or five times during the summer, he would bring home to his son a full sheet of cards for him and his friends to cut out. Jacky would cut out the star cards for himself, and then the rest of us would get the pickins. No problem, it was free cards, great. I moved to Philly in the 5th grade.

    Wasn't easy as a young child with those little play scissors trying to cut into a large sheet like that. But we managed to do it. Although I can't say the proper card measurements were ever done. Lots of very rough cuts. 😄

    I visited the neighborhood and their home in Connecticut a few years back, for the first time since I had moved, and the older lady who immediately remembered me when I stated my name, said that her husband had passed. We fondly talked about old times, how Jacky and her other children were doing, etc. I must admit when I was there, wondering if in her basement or attic, there were any Topps products that her husband brought home over the years. Could be - a find waiting to happen. 😊

    Wow... that is a very cool unique story of hand cutting Topps card sheets...I had some 1984 Nestle sheets about 20 years ago that i had professionally cut...could be best to keep the sheets intact as you can always cut them whenever...I see a few 1950's card sheets surface here and there for auction...fun stuff!

  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭✭

    @KurtisJoseph said:
    Here are a couple. One is of Willie Mays touring Topps in 1974.

    I believe the manufacturing shot is from 1975.

    Mister Rogers: Isn't that interesting...how people make baseball cards.

    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
Sign In or Register to comment.