Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found Treasure Hunting

So not treasure found using a metal detector per se but I just wanted to share my treasure hunting find because it's something I've been on the lookout for for a long time and I found one last February doing my form of treasure hunting - dumpster diving. Lol. Anyways I found this in a back alley residential construction dumpster (the best dumpsters to dive in my humble, hobo opinion). Copy and paste the link to see a picture.

F.Y.I it's a 1991 Canadian quarter. ~ 450,000 were minted. It's not worth a lot. $20-$25. It's priceless to me though. Lol

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PcSOeolurK-X5hiu-u-166EpMJz2loG0/view?usp=drivesdk

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just post the picture here instead of posting secondary links alot of people will not click on?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Why not just post the picture here instead of posting secondary links alot of people will not click on?

this, welcome to the forums as well, all the best

• Options

@Steven59 said:

• Options

Turns out I can upload photos. Lol.

• Options

Great find - 1991 459,000 mtg, 100% nickel. Yeah, it doesn't look like a dug coin! :D

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Great find - 1991 459,000 mtg, 100% nickel. Yeah, it doesn't look like a dug coin! :D

It was "dug" out of a dumpster. 😂 That's still digging for treasure and a form of treasure hunting right? I think so but I might be biased. Anyways when I found it it was in a coin holder in a back alley residential construction dumpster. I had to go through a lot of stuff to find that. That bin was overflowing. But I got a fair few cool/nice things out it so it was a good treasure hunt!

• Options

The more you reveal - the less I believe!

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Steven59 said:

Lol! I have definitely led an unconventional life. That said I got into dumpster diving due to long periods of my life being a homeless bum. True story. A couple decades of bad decisions will do that to a person. I've gone in A LOT of dumpsters so you have to consider the volume of stuff I've rooted through. It's much more than hobbyist dumpster divers. The other aspect is all the experience I have had doing it has taught me a lot about how to bin, where, what to look for that are signs it might be worth getting in the bin and ripping bags. Of course sometimes all you find is garbage (surprise!) and leave with nothing but a boot full of dumpster juice (a mixture of unknown liquids that pool at the bottom of a bin) or a cut on your hand from an unknown sharp object. Lol.

I have a term for any scavenging type activity -Hoboing. Hoboing includes but is not limited to- dumpster diving (commercial bins especially thrift store bins, townhouse/apartment/condo complexes, residential home construction/renovation/disposal bins, back alley picking, individual residential garbage/recycle bins, apartment building garbage rooms, car washes (you can find good stuff in the car wash garbages and lots of cans/bottles), etc. Residential disposal/reno bins can yield a real variety treasure often for a reason that is kind of morbid. I have gone into a not insignificant number of those sorts of bins where it quickly becomes obvious it's the contents of someone's life and it's in a dumpster because they have died. I think family members view going through all the stuff as an onerous chore that will take a lot of time and it boils down to convenience and time saved being worth more to them than the value of the stuff and the time and energy it would take to go through, sort, store, dispose of, plus the time it takes to try and sell anything of value.

Things I have gotten hoboing -

• Very large quantities of jewelry (vintage and contemporary) including gold, silver, diamonds, sapphires, and other precious stones
    • A ringside ticket for the 1955 world heavyweight boxing championship between Rocky Marciano and Don Cockell.
    • a Ken Dryden goalie stick.
    • A first edition/first printing copy of "The Shining"
    • Fine art of all sorts vintage, antique, contemporary- paintings, prints, etchings, cross-stitching, etc, sculptures, ceramics
    • decorative vintage/antique glassware
    • musical instruments including a concert xylophone (apartment building garbage room)
    • antique silverware
    • large quantity of power and non power tools
    • many, many bikes and bike parts
    • sporting equipment
    • a cash register
    • appliances
    • vintage and contemporary brand name clothes
    • gift cards and prepaid credit cards with lots of money still on them.
    • brand name purses
    • brand name vintage and modern watches (Bulova, Nixon, Gucci

That and many more unusual, unique, strange and really cool items that I probably would never have owned if not for jumping into bins - the 1991 quarter from this posting, a piece of the Berlin Wall, a 1970's department store skateboard that had a Norco graphic on it, an original Yahtzee board game, a complete collection of 1962 Kraft/Jell-O aviation discs in the plastic circular holder (over 200 of them in the set, Canada only version), an antique wood mechanics creeper, lots and lots of vintage and collectible toys, coins and tokens of all kinds from all over the world,

Oh and lots of sex toys. Far more than I ever cared to encounter in my entire life. Lol.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting for sure.

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine found a brand new Stetson hat in a dumpster years ago. Still in the box.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

>
    Not dumpster diving but in a pile of scrap at an Estate sale that they wanted gone. Free copper