Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts On This 1870-cc Seated Quarter

I'll weigh in before any responses. I'm not a fan, but at the same time, sometimes you have to take what you can get with these early CC issues. It seems like it has some degree of environmental damage and someone got lucky and it straight graded. Trueview and sellers photos. What do the experts think? @rhedden

Comments

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big time environmental damage.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I value your input.

• Options

Wow I disagree. TPGs blow it when these get through straight. I would much rather have a cleaned details coin with a few marks then a coin that is borderline porous. I understand the rarity and cc surface reputation of most specimens. But that does not explain away significant environmental damage.
    So there are fewer coins that meet the established grading standards, so be it.

• Options

This is my 71-cc for comparison. It's in a VF details slab as "environmental damage"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the price is reasonable go for it. This is not an 1881-S Morgan Dollar that is being offered.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 11:48AM

MD

This is a very tough date, especially in upper middle grades. However if you don't like it now, you won't like it a year from now. Your other coins are so much nicer and the 71-cc is not black. Not so easy to sell unattractive coins either.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice, and the graders were certainly biased. (not a bad thing) IMO it's one of those coins I would like raw.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very hard to find these with universally appealing look.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disregarding value and comparing only look, I would prefer OP's coin to the VF35 CAC coin by far. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the upgrade Don! A straight graded VF 1870-CC quarter is a rare critter.

Doug

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats !

• Options

@rhedden A lot of 70-cc quarters have popped up lately.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first coin might be new to my photo archive, though I have to take a closer look at all the other coins in this grade range to make sure it's not a duplicate with different-looking photos.

The second coin (Navy Mustang) used to be NGC VG10, so someone crossed it.

The third coin (VF20) has been around for a while in that holder.

There are now 94 examples of 1870-cc quarters in my photo archives. The caveat is that a "new" coin comes up every once in a while that is actually a doctored version of a coin that was formerly in another holder (usually Details). These pieces can be difficult to detect from photos. I need to take a good look through the archives and make sure that nothing has been double-counted.

• Options

@rhedden said:
    The first coin might be new to my photo archive, though I have to take a closer look at all the other coins in this grade range to make sure it's not a duplicate with different-looking photos.

The second coin (Navy Mustang) used to be NGC VG10, so someone crossed it.

The third coin (VF20) has been around for a while in that holder.

There are now 94 examples of 1870-cc quarters in my photo archives. The caveat is that a "new" coin comes up every once in a while that is actually a doctored version of a coin that was formerly in another holder (usually Details). These pieces can be difficult to detect from photos. I need to take a good look through the archives and make sure that nothing has been double-counted.

The first one is from a recently closed DLRC auction. You can see better pics on their website. They have three 70-cc's in past auctions to look at.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2024 10:24PM

Funny, two more popped up this evening. I've never seen so many for sale at one time. @rhedden

• Options

I had both of these pieces in my photo archives already, but thanks for posting the new photos.

• Options

They've been coming out of the woodwork lately.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one’s in the GC auction tomorrow (current bid - $18500):

Bidder caution: the ID# shown doesn’t come up in the PCGS system.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options

The PCGS VF25 CAC coin in the Iowa collection used to be NGC VF25 and was sold by Heritage at some past point. It looks to be one of the nicer circulated examples out there.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is that VG 10 coin not cleaned, well BLANCHED, and scrubbed? I don't care if it is somewhat rare, that IMHO is ridiculous and a most unattractive coin with all apologies to the consignor.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    How is that VG 10 coin not cleaned, well BLANCHED, and scrubbed? I don't care if it is somewhat rare, that IMHO is ridiculous and a most unattractive coin with all apologies to the consignor.

In my experience TPG's will straight grade cleaned coins as long as the cleaning didn't leave hairlines, and they tend to "market grade" them. The VG10 has F12 details.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hammer down on the GC auction - $20812.50 w/BP.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options

About the same as in the Heritage 2022, same coin.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking first year CC! You have the famous 1872-CC over 1870-CC. Simple error at PCGS.

• Options

Beat me to it with the TrueView error! I was shocked when I looked it up.

I did not have this coin in my records, and it looks to be one of the nicest XF examples out there. I can't trace it to a re-holder or crossover operation from the past 10 years. Thanks for sharing the images!

• Options

@cccoins said:
    @rhedden - Here is my xf40, that I posted a while back. Do you know the history / provenance of it?

Thanks for your time!

That's a great looking 1870-CC!

Doug

• Options

Yeah, that's a nice one!

• Options

Another one popped up. They're everywhere lately. This seems like a nice one.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cac 40 is awesome example

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    Beat me to it with the TrueView error! I was shocked when I looked it up.

I did not have this coin in my records, and it looks to be one of the nicest XF examples out there. I can't trace it to a re-holder or crossover operation from the past 10 years. Thanks for sharing the images!

I think that I bought it in 2010 / 2012. I can look it up later. It was in the holder when I bought it, but sent it into CAC a few years later.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Multiples of a scarce coin showing up for sale in close proximity indicates someone might have been hoarding it.

• Options

The NGC AU50 above went cheap it seems.

• Options

Don,

As NGC AU50, it was more like XF, so the price was about right.

Doug

• Options
    edited March 27, 2024 11:19AM

@Crepidodera said:
    Don,

As NGC AU50, it was more like XF, so the price was about right.

Doug

You have a good point. NGC is almost always a grade or two more loose than PCGS. They tend to be more lenient on cleaned coins also in my experience.

Prices for higher end 70-cc's are dropping too. 71-73-cc prices are rising though.

• Options

Yet another one pops up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file