Home Sports Talk

What was the first NBA finals you ever watched?

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was the 1991 series Bulls vs Lakers.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I watched previous NBA Finals that did/didn't have the Celtics in it but my first memorable one as a fan was in 1986 when my 6th grade teacher,Mike Stevens, brought in a tiny portable TV w/rabbit ears antenna so we could watch the Celtics play the Rockets during school. The games were on tape delay back then so we watched it live, I know Boston won but for the life of me I can't remember what game it was.

• 1987 NBA Finals - Lakers versus Celtics.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

91 Finals, I'll never forget this play, I thought Jordan was about to dunk it, and all of a sudden he just switches to a lay up with his left hand on the other side of the basket, one of the greatest moves I've ever seen on a basketball court.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I know I watched previous NBA Finals that did/didn't have the Celtics in it but my first memorable one as a fan was in 1986 when my 6th grade teacher,Mike Stevens, brought in a tiny portable TV w/rabbit ears antenna so we could watch the Celtics play the Rockets during school. The games were on tape delay back then so we watched it live, I know Boston won but for the life of me I can't remember what game it was.

I was born in 76. I remember watching Celtics games on tv by 82 or maybe 81. I know that I watched finals before 86, but for me they stand out as the first ones I remember. I was a huge Celtics fan. I had also been indoctrinated into hearing about the older players. Also, I had met John Havlicek at a restaurant in 82, so I was a big fan of his.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I was born in 76. I remember watching Celtics games on tv by 82 or maybe 81. I know that I watched finals before 86, but for me they stand out as the first ones I remember. I was a huge Celtics fan. I had also been indoctrinated into hearing about the older players. Also, I had met John Havlicek at a restaurant in 82, so I was a big fan of his.

Even though I had watched plenty of C's/Pats/Sox/Bruins games including big games before '86 that year played a huge part into becoming a sports fan & card collector. The C's,Sox & Pats all played for a championship and I'd bust out the cards that I had of their players during games that I watched.

That's cool that you got to meet Hondo. I never met any of the C's players but I do remember going to an autograph event around 81-81 where I met Sam Cunningham,Steve Grogan & Stanley Morgan and got their auto's.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lakers vs. Knicks.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't remember the year. In the 50s. Celtics won.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph