Home Sports Talk

Mahomes is 64-16 in the regular season

DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

In those 16 losses the Chiefs opponents have scored a total of 525 points for an average of 33 points per game.
And in the 64 wins there have been many times the Chiefs have scored 30+ points. With a decent D the Chiefs could easily be 77-3. Only 1 time in mahomes 80 starts has he been routed, 27-3 by the titans.

My point?
In the Marino thread posters say you can’t blame Dan that he never won a Super Bowl. I say why not? Mahomes hardly gets a lick of help from the defense but he’s been to 3 SuperBowls and won 2 of them. The one he lost the Tampa defense chased him all over the field because we had no offensive line.

Dallas actuary says when you discuss the greatness of QB’s the number of rings shouldn’t enter the discussion. I say that’s a fair argument if your defense has a cool nickname like the steel curtain, doomsday defense, orange crush etc.
Has anyone thought of a cool nickname for the Chiefs D over these past 5 years?

Since Mahomes entered the league it’s like he has single-handedly changed the game. KC can just play no names at WR and Mahomes will still lead the NFL in passing and go to the big dance. He carries his team to the big game on his back and boys you can argue who the best is of all time but you will all know in time what I already know.
Mahomes is the greatest QB to ever take the field.

Comments

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2023 3:06PM

Sure is heck making a great case so far. He has a little Michael Jordan in him too, during the games turning chicken sh!t into chicken salad. Not talking about the teammates, but the plays he makes.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bad news for you @Darin. The greatness of Mahomes' will never surpass the greatness of your return to Sports Talk.

I would pick the Chiefs or the Bills to win it all this year. If it's the Chiefs, I anticipate an onslaught of Mahomes is the GOAT talk.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back @Darin

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Darin, good to see you again. 🖒

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for the record, while the Chiefs defense has been better than @Darin implies, they were definitely nothing special. I avoid bringing players with such short careers into GOAT conversations, but Mahomes is undeniably great and at some point I expect that I'll start considering him.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mahomes is 64-16 in the regular season...

Um...this guy right here... B)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you showtime, perk and DD and Dallas and the rest of you regulars here. I appreciate you all. It’s been a tough, hot summer of work for me and just wanted to take some time off from the forum.

I actually agree with Dallas, mahomes just hasn’t played long enough to be goat yet. I was delirious with happiness when I posted that he was goat because first game is Thursday and I have this whole week off work.😆😁😄

Brady still goat for me until replaced at some future time by mahomes. 🥳

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Mahomes would be great in any decade because he can scramble and run.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

@dallasactuary said:
    Just for the record, while the Chiefs defense has been better than @Darin implies, they were definitely nothing special. I avoid bringing players with such short careers into GOAT conversations, but Mahomes is undeniably great and at some point I expect that I'll start considering him.

This feels like a turn in your methodology or...something else. If you come out and declare Mahomes the greatest...much fun will ensure. Lol.

I think he is the best right now, and fully expect the arguments for him over Brady to increase exponentially if they win one more.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2023 7:41AM

i distinctly remember saying something dumb like you can't expect to improve after losing the cheetah. i underestimated not only Mahomes, but Andy Reid. let's not forget how good of an HC he has been -- 6 conference champ games and 4 SB appearances in 24 seasons. so every 2.4 he's made it to (at least) the next to last game once on average for almost a quarter century. that's rather sick.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@thisistheshow said:

@dallasactuary said:

This feels like a turn in your methodology or...something else. If you come out and declare Mahomes the greatest...much fun will ensure. Lol.

I think he is the best right now, and fully expect the arguments for him over Brady to increase exponentially if they win one more.

The only QB I have ever declared the GOAT was Ken Anderson, but this was after declaring that it is literally impossible to objectively determine a GOAT at any position in a team sport. So no change in methodology or anything else, I'm just saying that right now when I think of who are defensible candidates for GOAT QB, Mahomes is not on my list because his career is too short. Someday, I expect to add him to the defensible candidates list. And no, how many Super Bowls the Chiefs win will not factor in to this in any way, shape or form.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen any QB that I felt was better than Otto Graham. The older I get the better I think he was.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

I really do wish I could have seen Graham, and Baugh, and Luckman, not to mention Unitas and Starr and all of the other great QBs from before my time. I do firmly believe that the statistical record is woefully inadequate in determining how great team sport players are/were. Mostly, you just have to watch for yourself and reach an opinion. And then, of course, argue about it.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chiefs will most likely win the Super Bowl again this year. He is a great quarterback one of the best I have seen. I would not be surprised if he ends his career with at least 5 Super Bowl rings. Will see. Will be a struggle between them and Philly for a few years to some.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Darin!!

As far as Patty being crowned the GOAT, well, you know how I feel about my Tommy...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin Welcome back my friend. Mahomes was drafted by a playoff team where Josh Allen was drafted by a team that hadn’t seen a playoff game in 19 years. Since 2020 Allen is 37-12 behind only Mahomes in wins.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will admit I was wrong when I said mahomes could win with no name receivers. They at least have to be able to catch the ball.
    I’m appreciating the job ju ju smith schuster did for kc last year.
    And after watching tyreek hill yesterday go off for 215 yards I’m really missing him and remembering how fun he was to watch with kc

@Darin said:
    I will admit I was wrong when I said mahomes could win with no name receivers. They at least have to be able to catch the ball.
    And after watching tyreek hill yesterday go off for 215 yards I’m really missing him and remembering how fun he was to watch with kc

The Patriots have gone through this before too, seasons with a lack of talent at WR. I remember 2019 it seemed like there was just no one there to even get any separation, much less catch the ball. I think we had another one of those seasons around 2013.

it is cyclical. You guys will get more talent in. You still have Kelce when he gets healthy.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

The Patriots have gone through this before too, seasons with a lack of talent at WR. I remember 2019 it seemed like there was just no one there to even get any separation, much less catch the ball. I think we had another one of those seasons around 2013.

it is cyclical. You guys will get more talent in. You still have Kelce when he gets healthy.

Imagine if Brady had Stallworth and Swann

@pdoidoi said:

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

It would have been special, that is for sure!

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

I mean, the one time he had a motivated superstar receiver, he went 16-0 and set a TD pass record...