Home Metal Detecting
Options

Help with dating part of a toy gun

ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 3, 2023 11:08AM in Metal Detecting

Dug this barrel of a toy gun this morning looking to find when they were manufactured also found the half of what I believe is a coin.

Only markings on gun say Jacksonville Texas USA

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cast white metal gun is probably post WW2. Gonna soak that half coin? Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

Jacksonville Texas means that it was made by Nichols, 1955 or later.

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:

Thank you. I stumbled on that dig site by accident, but will definitely give it another shot.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a few coppers like that. Never did figure out what they were 🙁

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

I found 6 or 7 large cents but all were intact and able to read the date, this one all I can see is part of the word liberty

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:

This

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Conshyboy said:

@johnny9434 said:

I found 6 or 7 large cents but all were intact and able to read the date, this one all I can see is part of the word liberty

Looks just like the half coin found on Oak Island. Apparently it was made that way?!

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@Bayard1908 said:

This

?

• Options
    Dakotas66sDakotas66s Posts: 1
    edited April 17, 2024 5:09PM

Sounds like you stumbled upon an intriguing find with that toy gun. The resemblance to the half coin found on Oak Island adds an extra layer of mystery! If you're into uncovering historical artifacts or just interested in toys with historical ties, it's always good to keep safety in mind. Here's a helpful resource on Nerf gun safety https://nerfinfo.com/nerf-gun-safety.