Home Sports Talk

Stan Musial and Ted Williams

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Stan Musial and Ted Williams

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan was almost as good a hitter

Almost as good, but "almost" has to be defined.

Williams was clearly better.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my mind, the answer is very clear. Musial was a great hitter. Williams was better and to suggest that it is not even close is really a dig at Musial that I would never even consider. Musial was better than good so to suggest just good is insulting. I like them both, but to no surprise- Williams was better.

I will go so far as to write that no baseball card collection is complete without the 1953 Bowman Musial card. That card with a handful of others from the 1953 Bowman set really capture MLB at that time.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like swell said, it depends on what you mean by "almost"; Williams was definitely better.

In fact Williams was a better hitter than pretty much anyone else, with only Ruth having a strong case above him. The only legitimate candidates for better "player" than Williams, other than Ruth, have more defensive value, and did not play 1B, LF or RF.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was as good

I wonder what Stan's numbers would look like had he played his career at Fenway?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was young I read a lot of sports magazines. This very topic was discussed, The conclusion was that Musial was a much kinder, decent man, but Ted was a better hitter. BTW Williams was my favorite player.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I wonder what Stan's numbers would look like had he played his career at Fenway?

Its not like Sportsman's park didn't have some friendly confines for LH hitters:

In the end,

Musial had a .944 OPS away from Sportsmans/Busch with 223 HR in 6,386 PA

Williams had a 1.082 OPS away from Fenway with 273 HR in 4,834 PA

...you can check to see if anyone that played with Williams or after Williams had a higher career road OPS than he had.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

It gets closer if you compare their all around abilities instead of limiting it to hitting.
    Williams might be the greatest hitter of all time.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set