Home Q & A Forum
Options

counterfeit/Mint error

explanation or something.

Comments

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to explain without seeing the coin!

• Options

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx for the pics.

That's must an abused SBA. What sort of error did you think it was?

You'd be better off posting pictures before you send the coins in. You'll save a lot of money that way.

• Options

Got this one at the same time, I believe estate sell in Fredericksburg. Was waiting to get this one back before sending it in. Not sure what to do.

• Options

• Options

Another beat up coin.

What error do you think it is?

• Options

That coin has been damaged by heat.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

That coin has been damaged by heat
    Agree, you can see both sides bulging out.
    Not an error of any kind, just damaged and worth 1 dollar

• Options

I have no clue, that why I sent the one in and the fact that when struck, there was something between strike Figure the bubble from what I read happens to coins, sometimes at mint. Cloth I believe

• Options

No, bubbles like that can’t happen at the mint. Heat causes the outer layer to separate and bubble up. It will be post mint damage every time.

• Options

@fish1967 said:
    I have no clue, that why I sent the one in...

You should know what the error is and what caused it before you send it in.

99.99% of the coins that you find in change that look unusual are just post mint damage.

You are paying some very costly (and unnecessary( tuition. :/

• Options

OK so what caused the cloth looking lines just curios and how did they get mint mark as( S) not saying its not to me looks like a blob. I took better pic and order

ing a better scope.

• Options

The mintmark looks like a P to me, but in any case the lines look like something was used to scrub the black crust off the surface.

It's not up to anyone to explain what happened to your coin. It's up to you to explain how any of this could occur in the minting process.

And the scope quality is not your issue. ;)

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

It can be one of two things, damage or an error.
    Seeing it could not happen when the coin was struck, by default it is damage.
    It doesn’t matter how it happened and you may never know, but damage is damage.
    Suggest you study the minting process and what an actual error is and you will save
    yourself time thinking that damaged coins are errors.

• Options

I'm startling to grasp and see My thought and understanding not so good anymore Trying and appreciate all of this.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, That's why were here, mam.
    Found this on your coin. lol

and this...
    And more ! but 'its getting late

• Options

Dame, thanks was about to put them in my mystery can. I think my post is up right in my profile, hope it helps.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to pile on here, but the answers you have received are correct. This is a badly damaged (by heat) coin worth $1 face value. Keep hunting though!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options

@NewEnglandRarities said:
    Sorry to pile on here, but the answers you have received are correct. This is a badly damaged (by heat) coin worth $1 face value. Keep hunting though!

Yes sir will do into to the mystery can they go

• Options

@Greenstang said:
    Suggest you study the minting process and what an actual error is and you will save

Please go to profile and hope to explain me. Yes damaged but they also have errors too, not saying mine do hell that's why I'm on here and I hope I'm not starting anything with my bull headiness and determination.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 5:21PM

@fish1967 said:

@Greenstang said:

Please go to profile and hope to explain me. Yes damaged but they also have errors too, not saying mine do hell that's why I'm on here and I hope I'm not starting anything with my bull headiness and determination.

It’s a tough hobby in the beginning, especially with errors. You are not “starting” anything with your determination. The key is, don’t be discouraged and keep researching and hunting! I can tell you have passion, that’s what matters! It takes years to have a good grasp on this hobby, and even longer to become an expert in one of many areas of enjoyment in numismatics! This forum was not around when I started, so mostly I learned “the hard way”, making a lot of mistakes. I hope you stick around and enjoy coins, it’s so rewarding once it starts “clicking”!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fish1967 said:

@Greenstang said:

It’s a tough hobby in the beginning, especially with errors. You are not “starting” anything with your determination. The key is, don’t be discouraged and keep researching and hunting! I can tell you have passion, that’s what matters! It takes years to have a good grasp on this hobby, and even longer to become an expert in one of many areas of enjoyment in numismatics! This forum was not around when I started, so mostly I learned “the hard way”, making a lot of mistakes. I hope you stick around and enjoy coins, it’s so rewarding once it starts “clicking”!

It’s not going to start clicking by looking for “errors” with a microscope. If error coins are of particular interest, studying pictures of and reading about known errors will be far more helpful and educational.

Sadly, many people are interested in errors only because they think they might lead to large, quick payoffs. And they often imagine and/or wish that they’re seeing something of value, when in fact, they’re not.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@fish1967 said:

@Greenstang said:

It’s not going to start clicking by looking for “errors” with a microscope. If error coins are of particular interest, studying pictures of and reading about known errors will be far more helpful and educational.

Sadly, many people are interested in errors only because they think they might lead to large, quick payoffs. And they often imagine and/or wish that they’re seeing something of value, when in fact, they’re not.

Yes and I was just thinking of ordering a book for Error and things any good suggestion will be appreciated.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

L> @fish1967 said:

@MFeld said:

@fish1967 said:

@Greenstang said:

Yes and I was just thinking of ordering a book for Error and things any good suggestion will be appreciated.

There’s probably no need to get a book. There are countless images available on the internet, many of them accompanied by discussions and explanations. In case you’re not already familiar with them, here are a few helpful websites:

https://doubleddie.com/

https://minterrors.org/

http://www.varietyvista.com/

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.