Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL thoughts with 1 week until the opener

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few thoughts before the season opener Thursday
Arizona is in full tank mode getting draft capital for everyone including the water boy. They cut Colt McCoy. Now that’s not an earth shaking cut but if you consider he was slated as QB1 until Murray gets back it was surprising

Everyone’s preseason darling this year is the Jets. Can’t blame anyone with the addition of Rodgers and Cook they will certainly be an interesting watch. I don’t predict a Russell Wilson-Denver Bronco disaster but only time will tell how the team will gel. Everyone gets a look Monday night when Buffalo comes to town.

Speaking of Buffalo, they chose to pretty much stand pat with last year’s roster with the exception of edge rusher Leonard Floyd.
Von Miller starts the season on IR and I doubt they’ll push him even after he’s back week 5. I’m looking for him to fully ramp up week 10 and after. Salary cap issues tied Brandon Beanes hands this off season.

While everyone’s pick is the Jets I’m looking hard at the Browns. Yes, yes I’ve been a Browns basher since the chose Johnny Manzell and liked him so much they drafted him twice. Watson has a full off season and 6 games last year to get up to speed. The Browns won 8 games before Watson became a starter. Their front four keeps Defensive Coordinators awake at night and they have won 4 of 6 from Cincinnati. Don’t count them out competing for a playoff spot.

The biggest surprise has to be New England cutting Bailey Zappe. My first thought was has BB finally lost it completely? But as I pondered it I realized it’s a genius move. Jones had his confidence shattered in year 2 and that’s all he needs is after every interception or 3 and out are chants for Zappe. He won’t be looking over his shoulder after every bad play. It remains to be seen if he is the one but this gives him a fighting chance.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just get us into the playoffs, that's all I ask, I've suffered with this clownshow over the years.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think that it will be interesting to see Watson's season. @Maywood ?

As the PB era of Patriots football continues on, Pats fans are relegated to the joys they have long been able to not need. Thus, it is not just wins that are sought out, but also 🤮 moral victories as well as the losses of division rivals. I will be taking joy in the failures of the other AFC East teams, and am hoping for a miserable Jets season.