Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

#2 Current Finest Roosevelt Dime Full Band Basic Set Circulation Strike (1965-Date) For Sale

DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
edited September 27, 2023 6:44AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

This 100% complete set consists of 115 coins, including 16 MS69FB coins.
The current PCGS Price Guide Value for this set is $72,835.00 (As of 9/27/23)
Please PM me if interested.

Danny

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-major-sets/roosevelt-dimes-fb-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1965-present/publishedset/2100

Comments

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know Danny's dimes are top quality. I wish I was financially able to purchase the set. Without hesitation I'd own it.

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

Danny's set is top notch. Only 5 coins away from 100% FB. Thats a feat nobody as of yet has accomplished in the Roosie Clad series. Anyone looking to move into a modern series this is a great set to start with. Congrats on a great accomplishment Danny.

Nick

• Options

Of the 115 coins in this set, 70 are TOP POP.
    There are 26 coins that have a POP HIGHER OF ONLY 1-ONE COIN, and 23 of them are in the #1 ranked set.
    There are 10 coins that have a POP HIGHER OF ONLY 2-TWO COINS, and 8 of them are in the #1 ranked set.
    There are 6 coins that have a POP HIGHER OF EITHER 3-4 COINS.
    There are only 3 coins that have a POP HIGHER of 5 OR MORE COINS.
    The fun of collecting for me is the HUNT and CAPTURE of the coins that I need to upgrade my PCGS REGISTRY SET.
    I have reached a point where the HUNTING SEASON for this Registry Set is over. There is almost nothing left to hunt.

Danny

• Options

I recently was fortunate enough to upgraded the 1980P from MS64FB to MS65FB POP 1/1)...to date, PCGS has only graded FOUR 1980P coins in FULL BAND,
    two MS64FB, one MS65FB, and one MS66FB (which is in the #1 ranked Registry Set.) My MS64FB coin is for sale for $1100. delivered if anyone is interested, (PCGS Price Guide Value is $1250).

• Options

TTT

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danny, any chance of you splitting the set up? I'd be interested in the 4 coins I asked about.

• Options

At the present time I am wanting to sell the set intact. I have had numerous people contact me about specific coins, but would prefer to sell as a complete set.

• Options

Oh !!! if I only had the $$$

• Options

With only a few exceptions (date/MM), this set is to the point where it cannot be improved upon unless the owner of the #1 Ranked Registry Set decides to break up or sell his set. The thrill for me in collecting is "the hunt" and then "the capture" of upgrades. I have reached the point where "the hunt" is over for this particular set. Time for me to move on to another series of coin collecting.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danny,

You mention that the thrill of the hunt is what drives you but this set has always proven to produce more and more if you just look. Coins in this clad set are just waiting to be found. All the time someone is slabbing a new pop top and compared to the other modern denoms., the dimes are relatively low.

I have searched rolls and mint sets in the past and made some really nice coins. Nothing like slabbing ur own dimes.

Personally, if you don't need the funds, I'd sit on this set and see what the next couple of years brings. Unless you find a deep pocket buyer (Probably a dealer who will part out the set anyways) I'd dismantle the set and make more than a couple serious Roosie collectors happy.

Sorry to see you sell those amazing silvers with your pedigree on the label no less. I would've carried that set to my deathbed. The 48 silver Roosies will always hold a special place for me.

Good luck Danny....

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I'm just waiting to hear.................... :)

• Options

I understand Danny wanting to sell his clads as a set. Believe me, if I had the funds, the set would be sitting in my safe. I purchased over a dozen of his silvers and they are now the highlight of my silver set.
    ( Now # 3 on 46-64 fb circ. strikes ) I know Danny has been " hunting " Roosies " since before our hosts recognized the fb designation. If you look at Dannys 65 to present fb circ. strike set, very few coins available to upgrade. And I don't see the Halcyon set being broken up.
    Stooge, I agree with you as my # 3 Registry set will be here at home when I'm gone. I want what's best for Danny, but on the other hand I look forward to the opportunity to bid on GC if that's where they end up. Hopefully Danny has them pedigreed like his silvers.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2024 12:13PM

@Tom147 said:
    I know Danny has been " hunting " Roosies " since before our hosts recognized the fb designation. If you look at Dannys 65 to present fb circ. strike set, very few coins available to upgrade. And I don't see the Halcyon set being broken up.
    Stooge, I agree with you as my # 3 Registry set will be here at home when I'm gone. I want what's best for Danny, but on the other hand I look forward to the opportunity to bid on GC if that's where they end up. Hopefully Danny has them pedigreed like his silvers.

Nick, WhiteFang, Wondercoin, Danny Holmes, Danny, myself and a couple others all were active over 20+ yrs ago before the FB designation was implemented. The Clads have changed hands and changed in grades several times. JHF had an insane set and so did Nick. All pale in comparison to John's clads now.

IMHO, I think Danny's set could be improved upon. Luck, time, $$$ and contacts are needed.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Before Danny sold his silvers, he told me he only found one upgrade in almost a year. A + grade to the next higher number grade. 1/2 point. He has now retired from his business. I got the impression he wants a challenge where he can improve a set on a regular basis. There are more clad upgrades available than there were silvers but I think he just wants to go a different direction. Do you still do Roosies ?

• Options

@Tom147 said:
    Do you still do Roosies ?

Yes, I'm something like 56 in the silvers. Working on an MS66+FB set. Something not to expensive and a challenge. It's much more difficult to find really nice dimes in this grade. Once completed, I was thinking of attempting the silvers in 7+FB. I can't and won't chase the top-pops any longer. At 55 I just don't want to.

I still have a quite stunning 1996-W MS68FB with a nice QA sticker. It's sitting on my sister's computer desk. Said she looks at it sometimes during meetings.

I was however just the other day, thinking of doing a Homemade clad set. Just to see how far I can get with it. I'll let ya know if I wake up from that nightmare. LOL

Later, Paul.
  • Options

What 66+ fb's are you needing ? I initially started a ms65 set. Then went to 66, then 66fb. Got that to 100% then took the step to 67fb. Now I've got that complete with about 20 of the 48 coins in 67+ or 68 f's. I still have all of them. Not the way to chase a high rated registry set for sure. Now Registry # 3 in 46-64 circ. fb. I have some 66+ fb's.

• Options

@DANNY said:
    With only a few exceptions (date/MM), this set is to the point where it cannot be improved upon unless the owner of the #1 Ranked Registry Set decides to break up or sell his set. The thrill for me in collecting is "the hunt" and then "the capture" of upgrades. I have reached the point where "the hunt" is over for this particular set. Time for me to move on to another series of coin collecting.

Danny
    Has anything changed with regards to selling the set?

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Like Paul said: Sometimes you have to wait for the good stuff to shift your way. Now I'm getting old, and found out my oldest daughter loves coins. So I'm going to do my best while I can. and turn it over to her. I still have time left to build a modern dime set, and enough to start a silver set. A ton of Quarters, Nickels pennies, Quarters Half Dollars, and good ole Ike Dollars. We'll see what she wants to start with first. Best thing about coins, the people you meet along the way.

Dan
  • Options

@alaura22 said:

@DANNY said:

Danny

The set is still available and for sell. I have had numerous people contact me to inquire about a few specific coins that they would like to buy. I still would rather sell the set complete. If I can't find a buyer, then I will consider sending the coins to auction. I would probably net a greater return at auction, but that is not my goal. I want to place the set in the hands of another Roosie collector who would appreciate the set as a whole.

• Options

@DANNY said:

@alaura22 said:

@DANNY said:

Danny

The set is still available and for sell. I have had numerous people contact me to inquire about a few specific coins that they would like to buy. I still would rather sell the set complete. If I can't find a buyer, then I will consider sending the coins to auction. I would probably net a greater return at auction, but that is not my goal. I want to place the set in the hands of another Roosie collector who would appreciate the set as a whole.

Danny,
    Understood, but look at how many others building this set would benefit if it were to be broken up and sold rather than just to one person.
    Your coins would defiantly help build many many fine sets.
    What ever you decide to do, good luck

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, roughly 99+% of great registry sets (like Danny’s) need to get sold via the public auction route, one lot at a time. The only exception to this rule is when Nick and I sold his Roosie sets (twice) in tact because (first) I was working directly with Justhavingfun and he had deep, deep pockets to write almost any check at the time for whatever he wanted (or, in this case, whatever he was “talked into”. lol). Nick and I worked together to sell, yet again, his second complete silver Roosie set under similar circumstances. Lightening really struck twice for Nick in selling his Roosies sets - call it good karma for Nick being the great guy he is. Mr. Hansen’s purchase of complete registry sets is also well documented. But, these are the 1% of the collections I acknowledged.

I agree that Danny will do very well if he breaks up his set. And, will make many people quite happy. Or, he waits for the deep pocket collector who wants a great set.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

I want what's best for Danny as he has been a huge help in getting my set to where it is now. That being said, as I cannot afford to buy his complete set.......or I would, I'm looking forward to it coming up at GC.

• Options

I think Danny should sit tight for a while and enjoy the creation he spent many many years building. I would give it at least 2 years before breaking it up and going the auction Rought. I would spend at least a year working the upgrades. That was the fun part for me. Dannys set has many upgrades in it. If a buyer stepped up and bought Danny's set complete and just worked on upgrading what is there, I have no doubt they would jump up in rank in no time.
    just my 10c worth of opinion.

Nick

• Options

onlyroosies, I dunno. Halcyon # 1 @ 70.62. Danny # 2 @ 69.74. That's quite a gap, and alot of upgrades which just don't seem to be available. Looking at Johns set, with the exception of the 97 D, there's less than 30 coins available higher than his. Danny has slightly over 100 total available that could upgrade his set which I'm guessing most are in The Halcyon set. Unless new Roosies " are made ", I don't think # 1 is obtainable. With Dannys silver set, he told me " the thrill is in the hunt " he said he only upgraded 1 coin one half point over the last several months because " they're just not available ". Hence the silver sale last year. Guessing he's facing the same thing with his clads. I agree with you to sit tight for awhile. if it were my set, I'd sit tight until my estate dealt with it. Beautiful Roosies and I'd love to have them.

• Options

Tom, I stand corrected. Last I checked Danny was #3. I always expected his clad set to become #2. Yes, passing John is unattainable. Still, I believe there are many upgrades sitting in Danny's set.

• Options

Had to go back and look myself. It appears Danny moved to # 2 to stay back in April. I was going to try and run some numbers just to see what upgrades ( ie: not in the top set ) were available. Just wasn't worth it. Are there upgrades available ? Yes, of course. Just a question of how often do they come up for sale. ? Much like Danny said with his silvers, when you can only upgrade 1 coin, 1/2 point, over several months the thrill of the hunt slows way down.
    In looking at the top clad sets, I found it interesting the number of 1/0's of which there are 29. Halcyon has 24, Danny 0, Hansen 3 and RickJones has 2. Yes, John truly has an impressive set . As for Dannys clads, I took a serious look at finances and just can't pull the trigger. Much as I'd like to.

• Options

I think the clad series is still on the newness side. The thrill for me was grading, crossing and upgrading coins in my sets. When Dan Close contacted me about selling his clad set (Close to Perfect) I jumped at the opportunity and we worked out a deal. Within 12 months I made 6 pop 1/0 just through upgrades from his set. I recently crossed down a 2016P NGC MS69FB to PC MS68+FB pop 1/0. It now resides in John's set. It's not about what is currently available. New top pops will get made.
    They will become available. You need to commit to 5-10 years. Another fact: When the "Close to perfect" clad set was number 1 at least 75% of Dan's top pops were crossovers. The way to build a top quality Roosie Clad set is to work the set yourself and don't just rely on waiting for upgrades to become available. Over the years I have made more top pops crossing than I have upgrading. The coins are out there, You just have to find them. The Hunt has changed....

Just my 10c worth
    Onlyroosies

• Options

Definitely gives me something to think about. I'm sure you're correct, the coins are out the there. Just not in the cards for me. If Dannys clads could be purchased as a set, I'd be happy for Danny. If that doesn't happen and they are offered individually, I'll be in the hunt to acquire what I can. I believe I ended up with over a dozen of his silvers and took his # 3 spot in the current 46 - 64 fb Registry set.
    I'd like to get the same number or more of his clads.

• Options
    edited February 7, 2024 7:08AM

"Playing The Game"!!!. Crossing, Re-crossing, then Crossing maybe a third time. That is what collecting a Top Registry Set is all about... Both grading companies want the Top Pop coins in their holders. Sometimes it becomes a "contest" between the grading companies.
    I'm not a good enough "grader" to play the game at the highest level.
    A handfull of the coins in my set are coins that at one time in the past were housed in a PCGS holder with a lower grade.
    Nick (and Gary) cherrypicked numerous coins from my set as possible upgrades. They were sent to PCGS for re-consideration. I could not have completed this process without their help and knowledge.
    Thanks to both of you again for your help on my journey from a Top 20 PCGS Registry Set to the #2 ranked set in the world.

Danny

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Nick is not in your sand box it's hard to play the game.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

Tom, It looks like you're going to have step up your game if you want to hold onto the #3 46-64 Silver Roosie position. Jay's FB Roosie set (currently #6) only needs to add a 1956D to take over #3 by a decent margin. I'm betting he already has that coin and is purposely holding off adding it. We have another player.

• Options

I looked at his set. Resigned myself to dropping down to # 4. Beautiful set and to many 68's for me to compete. Congrats to Jay.

• Options

I have decided to break up my #2 ranked PCGS Registry Set of Full Band Clad Roosie Dimes, 1965-Date, and sell off the coins individually to those collectors who may have an interest. Please PM me, or send me an e-mail (dbiddleky@bellsouth.net)
    if you have an interest in any specific coins. If you are interested in numerous coins, I am willing to offer a payment plan.

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Looked at your set, saw a couple I want, went to price guide to make a quick check......wow, where have I been?