Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1927 wheat penny error 3/2 1927 or 1937? Mint Error?

SpikeyAbeSpikeyAbe Posts: 13
edited August 30, 2023 9:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

please take a real good at the picture attached. The #2. is this a #2. is this a mint error?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2023 9:45AM

Welcome to the forum! :)

You have posted in the Registry forum and may get a few unfriendly responses, Maybe @PCGS_Moderator can move this to the US Coin forum for you. ;)

Your coin appears to have post mint damage. (PMD) :/

• Options

thank you so much! Mint Damaged? is that the same as mint error?

• Options

Welcome.
    It's just a hit from another coin that displaced the metal. It happened after it left the mint.

• Options

@SpikeyAbe said:
    Mint Damaged? is that the same as mint error?

No, it was damaged after it left the mint and isn't any type of error.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've included the PCGS TrueView of your coin below. I'm not certain why you might think this has an error in the date when all it has is a ding on the base of the 2 in 1927.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

My bad I forgot to include this pic.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't help your case. It's still damaged.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpikeyAbe said:
    My bad I forgot to include this pic.

If it were a 3/2 , (which it clearly isn’t) the base of the 2 would be much smaller, of a different shape and take up less space than in your picture. And part of the 3 wouldn’t be missing.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, the number 2 took a little hit/bump and pushed the metal. It is not a 3 and the hit/bump to the digit happened after it left the mint in circulation and is not a mint error.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options

if its not a 3 then wouldn't this be a counterfeit?

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpikeyAbe said:

Are you listening? Your coin is damaged. That's it.

• Options

@SpikeyAbe said:

No

It is easy to see why you think it looks like a 3 but it's not what you think it is.
    It's not uncommon for new collectors to see something like this and not understand how a random hit or damage on a coin can look soo much like something else.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nothing more than a damaged coin and in that condition would be worth very, very little ... far less than what it cost to have it slabbed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@SpikeyAbe As a circulated and cleaned 1927 cent, your coin has practically no numismatic value - it never should have been submitted for grading in the first place. Hopefully, you will listen and learn from the advice being given so you can avoid more expensive mistakes in the future.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if it was a 3 it wouldn’t be a mint error. It is damaged by something hitting it sometime during the last 85-95 years.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    @SpikeyAbe As a circulated and cleaned 1927 cent, your coin has practically no numismatic value - it never should have been submitted for grading in the first place. Hopefully, you will listen and learn from the advice being given so you can avoid more expensive mistakes in the future.

I'm guessing the OP might be the one who submitted it. They didn't get the answer they wanted so they posted it here hoping for a different outcome.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2023 1:24PM

@SpikeyAbe — That is a coin destined to go in the road show folder—love to see it there.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpikeyAbe said:

Why does "damaged 2" equal "counterfeit"?

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@SpikeyAbe said:

Unfamiliarity with the nomenclature—damaged > altered > fake, ergo, counterfeit.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2023 1:38PM

@SpikeyAbe said:

It would not be. It is just damage the coin received during circulation. For example, if one one puts a hole in a Lincoln cent, it is not an error, it is damage. The errors you may be looking for would be for differences in the original coin/die before it left the mint, not damage to the coin surface after it was struck and circulated in commerce.

May I suggest looking up on Google mint errors and do some research in this area. You can also post pictures of coins you have here on the group and you will get an immediate answer.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options

@Fraz said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SpikeyAbe said:

Unfamiliarity with the nomenclature—damaged > altered > fake, ergo, counterfeit.

Thanks. Perhaps. But I was interested in the OPs thinking here. His actual statement was " if it's not a 3 then wouldn't this be a counterfeit". Given that he's the only one who thinks it's a 3, it's an odd deduction.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

😂 I’m guessing am the old man in the video

• Options

You might be right! I think another coin bumped into this one. I bumped it with another coin and this is what happened 👌

• Options

• Options

• Options

@SpikeyAbe said:
    You might be right! I think another coin bumped into this one. I bumped it with another coin and this is what happened 👌

We're definitely right.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

@IkesT said:

I'm guessing the OP might be the one who submitted it. They didn't get the answer they wanted so they posted it here hoping for a different outcome.

That's my thought too!

No numismatic value. $40 coffin. Tuition will be expensive.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options

@SpikeyAbe It's clear you don't believe us so why don't you tell us how this happened at the mint and when did it happen. Was it in 1927 or 1937 or maybe a different year? We would love for you to help educate us.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

We could tell him "send it in" but he's already done that. :#:D

• Options

@JBK said:

Yeah, if anything, the OP had the nerve to send it in, so props to him. That's more than 99% of the corroded coin junk box microscope crowd will do. The problem is, he can't learn from it. $40 is a pretty cheap tuition.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@JBK said:

Yeah, if anything, the OP had the nerve to send it in, so props to him. That's more than 99% of the corroded coin junk box microscope crowd will do. The problem is, he can't learn from it.

That is the problem, exactly.

$40 is a pretty cheap tuition.

Yes, if you only have to pay it once...

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

I guess the OP doesn’t believe anyone here, he is now asking the same question on another Forum.
    ( Did receive the same answer though)
    Guess he can’t get over the fact he wasted his money getting this cent graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file