Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Israeli commemorative coins

I've have quite a few Israeli commemorative coins but have been told they are only worth their melt value. Is that true? If not, might anyone suggest a Los Angeles area dealer I can work with in order to sell them? I've attached copies of a few but have many more, so I want to do my due diligence in assessing their possible value. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• I wouldn’t know much about Israel coinage …. You have look up see if there is a market “demand” for graded examples of Israel coins that you have ? If there is you’d be better of having dealer or yourself send in the coins for grading …. If there’s not much of a demand for them the dealer is left with no choice but offer you melt value for precious metal in the coins …. Don’t be intimidated by a dealer’s response to offer melt value which is pretty common for a coin they don’t know what to do with …

However do some research on coins you have look them up on eBay or auctions see what they are selling for … also keep in mind probably 95% of dealers in US only deal with (US coinage) they don’t hoot about world coins or what’s rare or whats very collectible and value in world coins , you might be better off researching on dealers in your area that specializes in world coins and so on ….. take your time and get good resource data on prices and demand before you sell

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

These examples posted in the OP are technically "medals", not "coins". They have some collector demand, but not as much as actual coins have. And most people who "demand" them get them straight from Israel, rather than on the secondary market.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2023 3:51PM

Didn’t we go through this already?

There is essentially NO DEMAND for these today. Be happy to get melt and move on with your life.

50-60 years ago, Israel pumped these out by the thousands to keep artists employed and raise revenue as well as for propaganda.

Try bringing them to a Long Beach coin show and shop them around.

And by God, don’t waste your money on getting them graded!

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

These are unfortunately some of the toughest pieces to sell out there. I've sent quite a lot of these to melt, very little interest in anyone paying over melt.

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m interested :)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are nice medals, to collect, but resale can be tough.

Some of them have more demand (higher value) than others. I know that when I was looking for the silver version of the Operation Jonathan medal I had to be patient until I found a nice one at a price I wanted to pay. But I also bought another one at less than melt.

I suspect that the gold medals are a much tougher sell at much of a premium above melt.