Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1966 Israeli gold Coin-Medal value?

BrianCouBrianCou Posts: 10
edited August 26, 2023 10:35AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I have several Israeli commemorative gold coins - can anyone suggest a potential value or perhaps a dealer who can help me assess their value - the closest dealer to me suggested they are just melt value but that dealer also steered me wrong with a $10 Indian Head coin so I'm not sure about their advice. Digging around on the internet I was unable to find much info so I'm hoping for some help .

An example coin is: "Mountains Round About Jerusalem' Jerusalem Coin-Medal, In Gold State Medal 1966 22 carat, design by Jean David. See image below. Thanks for any help.

Brian

Comments

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking up these for sale on the internet, the asking price seems to be around $25-2600.00.
    That is a lot more than melt. These also came in bronze with asking price of about $70.00
    Maybe your dealer was trying to get you to sell it to him for melt, or he didn’t know what you have.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always considered Israeli gold (and silver and base metal) medals worth at most bullion.

Quantities are very high and demand is very low.

Yes, Goldberg auctions them, but that’s just because they want the commission and not because they feel these are worth more than bullion.

• @Greenstang said:
    Looking up these for sale on the internet, the asking price seems to be around $25-2600.00.
    That is a lot more than melt. These also came in bronze with asking price of about $70.00
    Maybe your dealer was trying to get you to sell it to him for melt, or he didn’t know what you have.

Might you be able to send me the internet link - I have more coins to look up - thanks

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2023 5:00PM

Just google the country, year and denomination.
    You should find several sites. I can’t remember which site I got the info off of.
    You can also google Numista and supply the same info

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to eBay, search for Israel gold (world coins), (check) sold at near bottom of left column.This is what those listed sell for, not the sometimes fantasy prices listed for sale.