Home Q & A Forum

Response to an old Thread. Images are everything! I tried another camera not much better but....

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13561418#Comment_13561418

I need a macro lens camera or better. Sorry for the confusion. My intial question was for removing the adhesive glue on the surface, not if it is authentic. Now I need to find out what acetone should I use? The finger nail polish will be a bad choice because it has other chemicals that will destroy the numismatic and historic value of this coin. How to choose the correct one to use? There seem to be cosmetic, commercial and scientific grades. Which one, please? Will it grade if I remove with acetone?

This gentlemen seems to know all about coins but circulated coins seem to be what he uses this "dip" on. He improved the coins appearance and still the coin obtained a grade.

What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art. (Augustus Saint-Gaudens)

Comments

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2023 3:39PM

I usually use the commercial grade that you can get from a paintstore or paint dept. at Walmart.
    Make sure you keep it covered at it will evaporate quickly and the fumes are harmful.
    Acetone will not harm the coin or affect the grade.

• More images

• More images

• More Images Last images were uploaded for you to blow them up. Seee them better surfaces have black age spots that is very unattractive and cause estetic problems in hand when looking at it.

• What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art. (Augustus Saint-Gaudens)
  • My laptop is really going haywire right now. I am upload as fast as I can

• I added natural light and angled it to see the surface. This is another prespective of how this coin looks

• collectormel7collectormel7 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited August 25, 2023 5:09PM

If you are going to create such a site, you should have someone proofread it for you.
    There are numerous spelling mistakes that make it look like it was done by a amateur.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's painful to see some of the pictures of a supposedly valuable coin being manhandled like that. :/

Hopefully the acetone will remove the skin oils and salts.

• Glue adhesive

edited August 25, 2023 6:45PM

@Greenstang Thank you that is a first for me. A true novice and I do type fast. But show me the error and help me proof read it. Point me to the issues. Please I need to know.

• I have no excuses, just need a bit of help. But thank you for your opinion. I really need cretiquing and help. Hopefully you can do that with me. Thank you again.

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2023 2:28AM

The hardware store acetone will work just fine. I agree with Greenstang, you need a proofreader, maybe a professional. I counted six major spelling errors in one paragraph alone, and I'm a lousy speller!

just need a bit of help
    There are too many spelling mistakes to go over on line but a glaring one is on the heading
    of your first picture where you have “ engravers “ spelt wrong.

edited August 26, 2023 11:59AM

I will fix that. But can I ask you a question? Why so froward and direct about that? It is a very nice site and I did look over that and seen the word engravers spelled wrong. I speed through things a bit. I also type to fast and do not proof read as often as I should. But I am just glad i am able to spell at all. Praise The Most High for that. And thanks again for your watchful eye. But it seemed like you were more saying I am stupid. That was very insulting.

• i be back with the corrections soon. Seems to be a few words like " intrinsic" But it is okay. Only a few words on a complete webpage. Not that bad. You are correct. Thanks again. I am not easily triggered. I am easy going. Just looking to get a bit of help. I will be back with the repaired fixes. You can tell me what is wrong after.

• I am working on better images. Please, bare with me.

• In different plays of light this coin looks like another coin.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I worked on a press for over forty years. (Printing) Day in ,day out, with only a due date paying my check.
    Try explaining that to your new bride.
    I never had to write a report on my day. Spelling, was, like cursive penmanship,... on the chopping block.
    But, if a flick of a Bic, within the wind stream of a pressman's press, any odd sound, not on file, even a fly doing the back stroke in the inkwell would be addressed pronto. Spelling is for ghost writers and proof readers.
    Although I do try too.
    To, Too, Two ?
    Shay !

Wrong, should be “to” :)

• I finally got the adhesive off the surface! And i found the signature is double two letter or sitting on top of each other. Really nice coin.

• Some editional images.

• Few more images. It is a specimen because it has a sort of mirror surface. So when it is photoed it looks darks (prooflike) i took the the images outdoors.