Home Sports Talk

Strasburg to retire

craig44craig44 Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

at 35 years of age. thoracic outlet got him. I wonder if officially retiring will keep him from the full potential of his contract?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worst contract in the history of sports.

Why anyone was surprised he got hurt after signing, well, is the biggest surprise.

Nationals did not have insurance on the contract according to sources.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not surprised

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

They gave him seven years at 35 million per year.

In return, he gave them 31.1 IP and a 6.89 ERA.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 2:53PM

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    They gave him seven years at 35 million per year.

In return, he gave them 31.1 IP and a 6.89 ERA.

Ouch. But sad overall as he seemed like a decent person. Contract-Lotto with pitchers.

Should have had

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 3:49PM

Remember the outrageous prices ( at the time) people were paying for his rookie card?
    I’m not a told ya so kinda guy but I mentioned I’d rather have a 52 Mantle

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/779184/another-high-priced-strasburg/p2

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Insane move on his part if he really is retiring. I would assume they negotiated a buy out but either way it going to cost him millions and probably 10s of millions. All he really had to do was just keep rehabbing or not retire and hed get paid. A ton of his money was deferred anyways

The only thing that really makes sense is that him and/or his family just dont want to live in the DC area anymore and decided he made enough where he could retire and they move

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I remember the hype surrounding Strasburg when he came into the major leagues, everyone was going crazy over his rookie cards!