Home Sports Talk

Ohtani has a torn UCL and is done pitching this year(and longer presumably)

1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad timing with contract negotiations coming up

https://www.mlb.com/news/shohei-ohtani-has-tear-in-ucl

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume this will end his pitching, and the Babe Ruth comparisons.
    Still a great hitter, hopefully he can recover and have a long career.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I assume this will end his pitching, and the Babe Ruth comparisons.
    Still a great hitter, hopefully he can recover and have a long career.

Rough day for him. I agree, hopefully he salvages it and has a long career.

The Angels front office on the other hand...should be shown the door the same as the White Sox front office recently was. Ohtani should have been traded last year and they would have gotten an absolute haul for him. They may have even convinced a team to take on Trout's massive upcoming salary.

The White Sox front office pulled off the most incredible feat. They found a front office dumber than they are when they traded Giolito to them.

Last year the Angels had the worst roster in baseball from #3-#26 on their roster. They had no business thinking they were going to win especially with some bad contracts on their team.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭

It will be an interesting off season for Ohtani to see who is going to step up to the plate to sign him now!

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    It will be an interesting off season for Ohtani to see who is going to step up to the plate to sign him now!

Presuming another elbow surgery is on the horizon, he won't pitch in games until some time in mid 2025. Have to look at him as a DH at this point for his signing value. He loses his two way celebrity status too that was of high value.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

color me very unsurprised. as fun as it was to keep up with his progress, in the back of my mind i couldn't help but wonder just how long this dual-stint was going to last. i didn't think for very long, and it was even shorter than that. it was pretty amusing watching people opine as if Ohtani was going to be able to seamlessly play the role of Hercules for the next decade.

hope he bounces back and has a fruitful career that's not truncated

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

It sure saved some team a lot of grief from signing him for big money and then losing him to the injury. Just another reason to avoid these luxury payouts to fragile players that are just subject to them at any time.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they just shut him down and have the surgery now. It seems so many players try to rehab it and it never works. they just lose 6-8 months of time they could be rehabbing from the surgery they should have had to begin with.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

The Red Sox don't need a DH as they have Turner in that position for next year so they could go after Ohtani with the thought of having him to dh the following year if Fenway is the place Ohtani wants to play.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

2nd Tommy John in 5 years if he goes that route - doesn't look promising to return as a pitcher.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Its only a partial tear, not good and theres no reason for him to throw another inning for a team that will miss the playoffs but its a different surgery for those than a full tear if he did it. Part of the problem is he throws right and hits left. The bottom hand on the bat is the pull hand so his pitching hand is doing extra work when hitting. His bat is still going to command massive dollars and he can play the OF if he stops pitching.

As far as the Babe Ruth comparisons it actually fairly closely fits the career path. Babe was a pitcher that started hitting and got so good at hitting they made him stop pitching. Othani did both all along but hes still an elite bat and should cost 300+ mil for hit bat alone. Even though as a pitcher and hitter he really is worth 600+ I dont think any team would have gone a whole lot over 400. Theres an expected discount for one person doing it as opposed to having to pay the pitcher and the hitter. As far as I know MLB doesnt allow you to get creative and make them give you one contract for pitching and another for hitting

Missouri 14 OSU 3