Home Sports Talk

What's your favorite sport and why?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was explaining to a buddy today why boxing is my favorite sport and got me to wondering, what is your #1 favorite sport and why do you place it above all others?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2023 5:06AM

Football without question

I love the fast paced hard hitting action, I also love fantasy and betting with it as well.

I used to love playing backyard football as a kid, I played in 10th grade high school but that was it unfortunately, I regret not applying myself to it but at the time I was into too many other things.

In my mid 20's I played in a men's flag football league for 2 years, I won league defensive MVP one year and we won a championship as well.

MLB deciding playoff games are a close second.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

as a kid, baseball was my number one love, but in adulthood, it is 100% NFL. I love the relentless pace and athleticism of the players. Greatest athletes on the planet if you ask me. No other sport will make me pace the floor like playoff football.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

To watch... Oh for sure football either NFL or college....although I never watched any old school AFL live; I'm just a little too young for those games...

Way back when in my younger days; little league baseball, grammar school football - Which I Miss So Much....I used to get yelled at by coaches for running the wrong plays at football practice; If I seen a open crease, I was gonna take it and sometime my plays if you will were not part of the game plan, I did 3 years of Grammar school football up until I busted up my tibula, and before that I did some Chicago park district basketball: Um...I kind of suck at basketball, and then to with the CPD also played floor hockey for a few years, and then in high school I did 3 years on the wrestling team; my 1st ever wrestling match I dislocated my opponents shoulder, so I'm Very Proud on that. Our sophomore wrestling team...um we kind of were a bunch of bad dudes out there on the mats.

And then for a long time played a lot of Nerf street football & Whiffle baseball....

Street Nerf was Pretty Awesome but depending on what street you lived on...

When I was back on the south side, our house was on corner so for street Nerf football, I had to play on other streets. There was no stop sign going east & west on 108th st, so that was frowned upon...

Now playing Whiffle, I had the perfect set up; home plate was the concrete stairs...

The pitchers mound was on the city side walk right after the side walk going north & south and right before you stepped on the ave B street ...

The pitchers mound was between two medium sized maple trees which were the foul poles.

any ground ball hit on the grass before the city side walk going north & south was a ground out...If the ball was in hit in the air, which could be a pop out or a fielding error by the pitcher...

any line drive passed the pitcher was a base hit... any line drive passed the pitcher but in between the stop sign and bus stop sign on ave B was double shot into the power alley...

any fly ball that got across ave B was a base hit, unless the ball landed in old man John's hedges, that was a ground rule double to were the ball got lost in the ivy...

anything that landed over John's hedges was a homer...

these last few days I've been getting a little floor hockey in....this past Monday our AC tech dude was over here doing the service tune-up and found a pinhole leak in the line-set downstairs, so I had to make room for the other AC Tech which was this Thursday to install a new A-coil & line set & new outside unit, well while the basement floor was somewhat clean, that's when I decided to get a little floor hockey in... :)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great responses everyone, I really enjoyed reading your replies, brings back memories of my younger days! As far as my explanation for loving boxing goes, to me it's the ultimate test to see what you're really made of. You don't get to rely on teammates to help you succeed, it's just you in there, fighting for your survival. I've seen wars in the ring that took years off both guy's careers, neither man willing to surrender, both men digging deeper than I've ever seen in any other sport. Love it!

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hockey

Most fun game I ever played.
    Hard hitting and super fast action.

Football (hitting), golf/baseball (shooting), boxing (fighting), and soccer (passing-shooting-scoring into a net) all rolled up in one.
    Such a great game

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoops.

Played starting at 10 years old until 37 years old.

Played competitively in high school and in college (small college NAIA team that is comparable to NCAA Division 2). Played on some really good rec league teams after college.

Playing hoops and associating with people in the basketball community (from the local level, to high school, to college and to the NBA, both coaches, players and others) has had a big part in me having the life I have.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball.

I played from a very young age, I have a distinct memory as a young child in NY of standing in the snow in the backyard with my dad pitching to me and lining one into my dad's family jewels, he never let me forget that. Then we soon moved to Florida where I played in every organized and unorganized league I could year round. I played at a high level past high school. I was a speedy outfielder and did some spot pitching when they needed me to. I got married and had children at a young age (21) and the baseball dream got cast aside for real life responsibility. I began playing in very high level men's softball leagues eventually since I just couldn't get it out of my blood. It wasn't baseball but I enjoyed it immensely. I actually played against a few former mlb players in these leagues at Mills Pond Park in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Both Canseco brothers and former mlb catcher Mike Stanley were on opposing teams. I played in these competitive leagues until I "retired" in 2007 at age 40. I have a passion for the NFL also and the Dallas Cowboys. I played football in high school, but I learned pretty fast that playing at higher levels of football was not in my future. I took a crack back block from a 280 lb lineman and laid on the ground staring at the sky gasping for air with fractured ribs and it was there I realized my future in football was as a spectator. lol

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Baseball although the current owners and MLB leadership are doing everything possible to make people hate the game and convince people the game is broken. Football would be second.

At this point college baseball and college football are much more exciting and fun to me over MLB or NFL. The fan bases are more electric, you dont have teams intentionally tanking etc.

My favorite sporting events of the year are the college baseball playoffs particularly Omaha, college football playoffs, and the Army Navy football game

Missouri 14 OSU 3