Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

JRR Tolkien Coin Release Date 21 August 2023

Is anyone else excited for the Tolkien commemorative from the Royal Mint?

I just got the email that says it will be available on Aug 21!

https://www.royalmint.com/annual-sets/2023/celebrating-the-life-and-work-of-jrr-tolkien/

Comments

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

As a matter of fact I am-I also received the email and figure they will offer BU, 1 oz silver, Piedfort, and probably gold. Great looking coin I’m in for silver Piedfort

• @Orlena said:
    Great looking coin I’m in for silver Piedfort

I’ll probably get the Piedfort, too. And may also get some BU to give to friends.

• SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

It's available now on the Royal Mint website.
    But very expensive! Do you think it would appreciate in value later in life?

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverPlatinum said:

I think we should always assume not when buying coins.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• @SilverPlatinum said:

I have no idea if it will appreciate in value. The limited mintage, popular subject, and a nice looking design all seem to be in its favor. But I’m new to collecting UK commemoratives, so I have no feel for the market.

I bought one because I like the design and will enjoy having it in my collection for years to come.

• I got my order today! It’s a beautiful coin!

I received mine as well. Got the Piedfort version and it’s a beautiful piece of work. Love the bi-metallic treatment and all of Tolkien design work.

Piedfort and Gold both sold out earlier this week.

• @Orlena said:
    Piedfort and Gold both sold out earlier this week.

Glad I got mine when I did!

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coin! Anyone familiar with his works might remember that today is Hobbit Day, or the fictionally shared birthdays of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).