Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 W Gold Liberty’s 69’s what’s wrong to not be 70

MtW124MtW124 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

I had both of these graded a year ago and To me these are beautifully flawless and I’m racking my brain as to where the issue is that keeps them from 70’s. Hopefully someone here that is much more knowledgeable can point out the discrepancy.

Comments

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post the cert numbers so I can view the full size tv

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Few, if any, could possibly tell the difference between 69 and 70 from pictures. You actually managed to make it even more difficult by posting low res TVs and blocking the cert .With the cert number at least we can pull the high res obv and rev separately and we might have had a fighting chance.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• MtW124MtW124 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Few, if any, could possibly tell the difference between 69 and 70 from pictures. You actually managed to make it even more difficult by posting low res TVs and blocking the cert .With the cert number at least we can pull the high res obv and rev separately and we might have had a fighting chance.

Understood, thanks. Here are the certs. My bad. Newby mistake. Thank you for taking a look at them.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Thanks Dan, I think I see how you did that now.

Here's a mark on 4681

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin number 45964680 has a small blemish on the obverse just above the U in “In God We Trust”
    Coin number 45964681 has multiple spots on the reverse around the words Gold and Of
    To merit a 70 they must be flawless..

I also think I see a mark on the cheek on 680. Thank you for the critic.

@MtW124 said:
    I also think I see a mark on the cheek on 680. Thank you for the critic.

https://images.pcgs.com/trueview/45964681

There's your shortcut for the future. You can change the cert number at the end to any other TV'd coin and download the high res photos.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@DeplorableDan said:

https://images.pcgs.com/trueview/45964681

There's your shortcut for the future. You can change the cert number at the end to any other TV'd coin and download the high res photos.

Thank you!

4681 is a bit of a mess. Red copper spot on the obverse rim (4th star from the top). And on the reverse near the words “Gold” & “Of” there are many spots/specks in that general area.

4680 is a much nicer coin and I would resubmit that one. Strong likelihood it will 70.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the 4680 these 3 things on the obverse probably prevent a 70. The cheek mark, spot above the U and some discoloration spots on the ray. I don't think I would send it in again. Might have better luck selling and buying a 70 if you really want one.

Also, sometimes direct front on TV photos will not show other very small hits or surface anomalies. Turn the coins at an angle under bright light and rotate and tilt them at various angles to see if something else shows up.

@1madman said:
    4681 is a bit of a mess. Red copper spot on the obverse rim (4th star from the top). And on the reverse near the words “Gold” & “Of” there are many spots/specks in that general area.

4680 is a much nicer coin and I would resubmit that one. Strong likelihood it will 70.

What do you suggest? A reconsideration or a crackout. Thanks

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MtW124 said:

@1madman said:

If you do resubmit, I recommend crack out. Your downside is limited - worst case you get another 69. Under reconsideration for a 69 modern, you are basically telling the grader there’s a flaw somewhere and challenging them to find it. Just my two cents.

Tile and rotate your coins under a halogen or other harsh light source in a dark room. Look at them from all angles, even if it feels odd to do so. Once you look at enough coins, you’ll start to see the tiny tiny blemishes that prevent 70s.

@MtW124 said:

@1madman said:

On 4680 I personally would do regrade. You will not run the risk of losing the dmpl status if you did a crackout/raw submission. Rarely do I ever use reconsideration, but I suppose if you have a pile of coins that must go through reconsideration service for a specific reason, adding this one on wouldn’t hurt.

If that focal area on the reverse of 4681 near the words “gold” and “of” is debris sitting on the coin’s surface, I would submit under restoration to get it cleaned up, and they’ll regrade it as well. If that stuff is embedded in the surface, it’s a 69 at best. Should just sell it as is, and move on.

Thanks @1madman for the advice.

1madman, I sent 4680 in for another look as you had suggested and it did come back as a SP 70 DMPL.

Thanks for everyone’s input and help.

Congratulations!

These are such beautiful coins in dmpl condition.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

4680 has a mark on Liberty's cheek, and 4681 has a spot on Liberty's neck.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file