Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Edge Marks

I'd be appreciate hearing thoughts on "edge marks", in general, but especially as an NGC designation.

Am I correct that the term can be used to designate a wide variety of issues, of varying severity, sometimes arising during the minting process, but often post-mint damage?

As an example, I've been following this Heritage auction item:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/ancients/roman-imperial/ancients-tiberius-ad-14-37-av-aureus-18mm-762-gm-11h-ngc-choice-xf-5-5-4-5-edge-marks/a/3109-32210.s?

From the photo, it looks like an attractive and desirable coin, but, of course, we can't see the edge.

If NGC considers the coin to be Choice XF, should I assume the the edge marks are not a serious distraction? Or, is the grade considered prior to the edge mark assessment?

Thanks!

Higashiyama

Comments

• BjornBjorn Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I would assume (that's a dangerous thing to do though...) that it refers to any post mint damage to the edge. For my level of ancient and medieval coins, I wouldn't consider such marks a major issue, but I could see them being an issue for some collectors, particularly those pursuing the highest possible grades.