Home Q & A Forum

Any papers on Coin Collector types or the Psychology of Coin Collecting?

I'm trying to do a research study on coin collecting. Are there any papers that discuss in detail the psychology of coin collectors? What kinds of collectors are there & why do they collect what they collect?

I know there's one account in CoinsWeekly: "The Nine Types of Coin Collectors", Oct 14, 2009, by Ursula Kampmann. Is there anything else out there?

I collect Ancients and early Independence Era Latin American.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting question! I’m curious to see informative replies.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • @winesteven said:

Steve

Unfortunately there is very little information online about the topic. Wow nice registry set. No business strike Seated Dollars tho?

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2023 12:52PM

@Gallienus said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

Unfortunately there is very little information online about the topic. Wow nice registry set. No business strike Seated Dollars though?

Thanks for your kind words. There are TWO big reasons I chose to go for Proof Seated Dollars for the two Type Coins for my Dansco 7070 Registry Set instead of Mint State coins;

1. The better strike quality and flashier luster on Proof coins, even over 150 years ago, is far superior to Mint State coins.
    2. For the grades I got (1865 PR64+CAM and 1868 PR64CAM), the cost for Proof coins in those grades was far less than MS64 coins.

As such, for the dollars spent, I ended up with what I feel are coins with superior eye appeal to their similar grade Mint State counterparts. The reality is if i were buying Mint State, for those dollars spent, I'd only be able to afford MS63 at best. And the Proofs I got are Cameo, which provides nicer eye appeal, and counts as an extra grade for Registry purposes (so it's equivalent to MS65 and MS65+).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • GallienusGallienus Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited August 11, 2023 6:51AM

Hi WineSteven,

Thanks for your comments. I love Seated coins although you couldn't tell it from the few that I own. Also primarily a foreign/ Ancients collector. Years ago I tried to buy nice business strike seated dollars in mint state. Also wanted to avoid the bag dates of 59-O and 60-O and perhaps 1871-72. It was a fruitless task for me although I did see a very nice 1844 that I should've bought. Pre-slab days, but my estimate was "strict or old-time" ms-63.

Also in the pre-slabbing days many Seated Dollars became "dipped out" with overuse of silver cleaner as the price jump for better grades was so steep.

I wanted business strikes for all my coins, as I like coins that actually circulated. In the case of Seated Dollars, they really didn't circulate all that much so your point about the proofs is quite valid. Perhaps some day I'll be able to snag a few.

I'm going to try reposting my question about Coin Collector types and/or Psychology as it really is an interesting subject. I may even try to write a paper on it myself.