Home U.S. Coin Forum

AU55 coin with CAC gold sticker?

johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 8, 2023 7:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’ve seen many discussion that 60-62 should be a 58 and some question those lower Mint State grades to begin with. I’ve seen these thoughts many times over. Trying to understand what a CAC gold AU55 would be *if it was two grades higher? Seems like a potential endless loop?

JM

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, a CAC gold sticker on an AU55 is basically signifying that JA thinks it’s a very strong 58. Very strong 58s can often make their way into low Ms grades so take that for what it’s worth.

Btw- Pleasure meeting you today Johnny, it’s nice to finally put a face to the name 🙂

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys
    Nice to meet you as well DD. Good times.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    No, a CAC gold sticker on an AU55 is basically signifying that JA thinks it’s a very strong 58. Very strong 58s can often make their way into low Ms grades so take that for what it’s worth.

Btw- Pleasure meeting you today Johnny, it’s nice to finally put a face to the name 🙂

I think we’ll both agree that JA thinks a 58 with a gold sticker is uncirculated. I don’t know what JA thinks the grade of a 55 with a gold sticker should be. Is it a kick arse 58 or a 60-62?

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlotteDude said:
    When I read the title, I thought you were asking about AU55 CAC(‘d) gold… as in something like this…

seems like a perfectly acceptable response 'dude.

@steveben said:

@CharlotteDude said:
    When I read the title, I thought you were asking about AU55 CAC(‘d) gold… as in something like this…

seems like a perfectly acceptable response 'dude.

Title updated to better fit my thought.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 9:28PM

I have seen gold sticker coins upgrade 2 grades. However each situation is different. YMMV.

If my 62 gold coin somebody tried bs me it’s 58 would tell them stuff it. U get All kind of low ballers / rip off jerks off the bourse working their racket. Stand up for your your inventory / investment.

The green sticker means he agrees with the grade on the holder, that it’s an A or B coin in grade range / not that it’s higher grade.

Coins & Currency
    edited August 8, 2023 7:33PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    I have seen gold sticker coins upgrade 2 grads. However each situation is different. YMMV.

Yes @Cougar1978, which was my point…then you enter the loop. I do understand the previous point made by @DeplorableDan thought.

• mattnissmattniss Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭

I think Dan nailed it -- gold bean on a 55 is likely a killer 58 versus going 60.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've made a few classic silver and copper type coins with gold CAC stickers that were AU55 or AU58. The AU55 pieces were really AU58+ more-or-less, in my opinion, while the AU58 would likely regrade MS61-62.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

The generally accepted guidelines for a gold sticker is that the coin is at least solid for the next grade. I believe, based on very little information, that JA views the next grade for most coins more like XF to AU or AU to MS rather than 53 to 55+ or Xf40 to Xf45 (except for MS to MS).

My one totally anecdotal experience is that I crossed a green stickered 58 NGC coin to PCGS 55. When I sent the coin back for review/resticker along with high quality pics of it in the NGC holder and the PCGS crossover paperwork it still came back as a green sticker despite previously being considered solid for the higher grade.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had heard, for whatever the heck it's worth, that CAC conflates 50 and 53, and also 55 and 58, so that there are two AU grades instead of one or four. Please, take with a grain of salt.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think that AU50 and AU53 get conflated, but I believe JA recognizes a true difference between 55 and 58.

That said, It gets confusing because we have all seen coins that may have upgraded/downgraded from 58 to 55 or vice versa, and green sticker both times. I think @TomB probably helped refine my original point by saying 58+, I should have put more emphasis on the “very” in “very strong”. Gold stickers are reserved for coins that are super strong for the next grade up, and could possibly go higher under the right circumstances. In addition, they often have tremendous eye appeal as well as being technically under graded.

I have never seen a gold sticker on an AU50 that should be just an AU53, but I have seen them when the coin easily should be graded 55. As we know, AU53 is somewhat of a bastard grade that was never really accepted by some of the old guard in the first place.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@DeplorableDan said:

I think we’ll both agree that JA thinks a 58 with a gold sticker is uncirculated. I don’t know what JA thinks the grade of a 55 with a gold sticker should be. Is it a kick arse 58 or a 60-62?

I believe that a gold CAC sticker for an AU55 coin indicates that in the opinion of CAC, at a minimum, the coin is a solid AU58.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2023 9:34AM

@johnny010 said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    I have seen gold sticker coins upgrade 2 grads. However each situation is different. YMMV.

Yes @Cougar1978, which was my point…then you enter the loop. I do understand the previous point made by @DeplorableDan thought.

I don’t really care what somebody’s “point” is here (or their definition of some loop) like it’s some dogma I have to bend to lol. My opinions / goals are my own based on my experience in the biz and my analysis of data which is continually evolving. Beyond that different Players have different goals.

If your post based on some quote player here I blocked did not see it anyway.

However - The thread where a person bought a gold stickered coin which he upgraded 2 grades and banked $10k in selling the upgraded coin or possibly more got my attention - was for me like like the Webb Telescope seeing further in the universe possibly redefining some ideas in Astro Physics.

Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file