Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

COMC straight to PSA...

I have bought several thousand cards from COMC for the last 6 or 7 years. The pics on the site are very rough and hard to see. I like combining the two but I will need sharper images in order to go straight to PSA. PLUS flaws are rarely stated. IF I buy 50 at a time from COMC, I will have at least 6 - 8 that have significant issues that could not be seen in the pic. Now the cards cost about $1 - $5 apiece, so its not the end of the world. But to take to the next step and pay $15 - $20 per card to grade them is another issue.

But the streamlining is a great start.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

  • PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

    yes, COMC's photos are very poor and I do not hesitate to return cards with flaws that cannot be seen due to the poor images. In fact, I will say I've had enough issues with purchases from them where it's probably close to 70-30 ratio of items I keep vs. return to them.

  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭

    Scans are abysmal. I don't know how you can buy anything. How many vintage HOF's are even on the site in high grade that you would send in for grading ? I don't think I ever see any.

  • CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

    I doubt it's worth it for them to pay someone to take time to take really good pics when people only want the stuff that's really worth more than they're paying.

  • RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭

    Comc pics are bad? I find they're better than most ebay pics. Ebay sellers often don't list flaws either, and worse, claim a grade that's not close to reality. That applies to many Beckett marketplace sellers as well.

  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Mickey71 said:
    Scans are abysmal. I don't know how you can buy anything. How many vintage HOF's are even on the site in high grade that you would send in for grading ? I don't think I ever see any.

    I usually buy cards prices at $5 or under. SO if I have an order of 50 cards, 40 would be $5 and under 5 would be under $15 and 5 would be over $15.

    Ron brings up a good point ebay pics aren't always the best and flaws are not disclosed. Ebay's return policy is much better though.

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

    Evening,

    I have hundreds and hundreds for Sale at COMC, and can safely say I WOULD NOT Send even one to get slabbed!

    YeeHaw

    Neil

  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That company is shady as heck. Aside from the owner being involved in the trimming scandal, the site is basically a bastion* for trimmed cards that can't get into slabs. I went on a torrid streak of 4 straight purchases from 4 different sellers where all 4 cards were trimmed and decided right then and there I was done with COMC.

    • Before I get 20 responses from honest sellers on COMC, yes I know you exist. But you are vastly outnumbered and are on a crap venue. Lay down with dogs and you wake up with fleas.

    Arthur

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ReggieCleveland said:
    That company is shady as heck. Aside from the owner being involved in the trimming scandal, the site is basically a bastion* for trimmed cards that can't get into slabs. I went on a torrid streak of 4 straight purchases from 4 different sellers where all 4 cards were trimmed and decided right then and there I was done with COMC.

    • Before I get 20 responses from honest sellers on COMC, yes I know you exist. But you are vastly outnumbered and are on a crap venue. Lay down with dogs and you wake up with fleas.

    Arthur

    hi there, I had not heard about COMC's owner being involved in the trimming scandal. could you crib note it for those of us who hadnt heard?

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

    there are hits and misses. here are some of my highlights over the years.

    1983 opc ryan $3 graded a psa 10

    1973 aaron paid $6 graded a psa 8 and a psa 7

    1973 clemente for about $6 a piece psa 8 and psa 7

    1965 starr $25 graded a psa 7

    1974 seaver for $8 graded a psa 8.

    so good things can happen, but like i said before about 10-15% of your order will have an issue that wasn't described or you couldn't see.

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2023 6:38AM

    @craig44 said:

    @ReggieCleveland said:
    That company is shady as heck. Aside from the owner being involved in the trimming scandal, the site is basically a bastion* for trimmed cards that can't get into slabs. I went on a torrid streak of 4 straight purchases from 4 different sellers where all 4 cards were trimmed and decided right then and there I was done with COMC.

    • Before I get 20 responses from honest sellers on COMC, yes I know you exist. But you are vastly outnumbered and are on a crap venue. Lay down with dogs and you wake up with fleas.

    Arthur

    hi there, I had not heard about COMC's owner being involved in the trimming scandal. could you crib note it for those of us who hadnt heard?

    Hi Craig,

    I'm not going to write a dissertation about the trimming scandal and rehash everything but, it goes without saying, you can do a quick search on Blowout and find everything you're looking for. The dime version is that at least one COMC employee was using their account to sell trimmed cards and the owner knew about it. He did nothing and allowed it to continue, even after he was presented with the evidence by BODA. He defended the employee's actions despite being caught red-handed and made himself look like a real dirtball doing so.

    Arthur

    ETA: He also did nothing aftr being presented with ironclad proof that numerous vendors on the website were trimming cards and selling them to the public. Guy just didn't care as long as the money kept pouring in.

  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

    just went to blowout cards a few minutes ago.

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ReggieCleveland said:

    @craig44 said:

    @ReggieCleveland said:
    That company is shady as heck. Aside from the owner being involved in the trimming scandal, the site is basically a bastion* for trimmed cards that can't get into slabs. I went on a torrid streak of 4 straight purchases from 4 different sellers where all 4 cards were trimmed and decided right then and there I was done with COMC.

    • Before I get 20 responses from honest sellers on COMC, yes I know you exist. But you are vastly outnumbered and are on a crap venue. Lay down with dogs and you wake up with fleas.

    Arthur

    hi there, I had not heard about COMC's owner being involved in the trimming scandal. could you crib note it for those of us who hadnt heard?

    Hi Craig,

    I'm not going to write a dissertation about the trimming scandal and rehash everything but, it goes without saying, you can do a quick search on Blowout and find everything you're looking for. The dime version is that at least one COMC employee was using their account to sell trimmed cards and the owner knew about it. He did nothing and allowed it to continue, even after he was presented with the evidence by BODA. He defended the employee's actions despite being caught red-handed and made himself look like a real dirtball doing so.

    Arthur

    ETA: He also did nothing aftr being presented with ironclad proof that numerous vendors on the website were trimming cards and selling them to the public. Guy just didn't care as long as the money kept pouring in.

    ouch. that is really bad. I followed the trimming saga pretty closely, somehow I missed this part of it. I will definitely be going over across the road to read up on it. Thank you for the short version Arthur.

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Sign In or Register to comment.