Home Sports Talk

92 Dream Team vs 84 Dream Team vs 68 Dream Team

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Which team has the best 5 and best 10 ?

I came across Dr. J’s 10 best ever and this question popped into my mind.

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 84 team was also very good, and it seems some players were left off who were very talented.

But 92 takes the cake.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spencer Heywood was fantastic during the 1968 Olympics. He was only 19 years old at the time.

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Spencer Heywood was fantastic during the 1968 Olympics. He was only 19 years old at the time.

Oh, my bad !!!

Sorry guys !!!

What if the 68 and 84 teams were all NBA’s bests like 92 was ???

My bad 😆

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

@perkdog said:
    1992 was the best basketball team ever assembled

Sorry. I reworded the original question.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

@thisistheshow said:
    The 84 team was also very good, and it seems some players were left off who were very talented.

But 92 takes the cake.

Sorry for the misleading question.
    What if 68 and 84 had the NBA’s best. Which team would be best.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

1992 was the best team ever. Not even close.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1968 and 1984 teams were composed of college aged players (18-22?) that were most likely the best of the best college players at the time (however, the 1984 team did not include Charles Barkley if I recall).

The 1992 team was composed of the best of the best NBA players at the time (grown men and not college aged players (except for Christian Laettner, the token college player placed of the roster).

If the 1968 and 1984 teams were composed of the best of the best NBA players at the time arguments could be made that those teams were equal to the 1992 team.

The same thing can be said about the 1960, 1964, 1972, 1976 and 1988 olympic teams. Those teams also had rosters of the best of the best college players. Had those teams instead had rosters of the best of the best NBA players those teams would likely be equal to the 1992 team.

I think that the best NBA players of any era from the mid to late 1950's forward would play very competitively against the best NBA players of today.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    The 1968 and 1984 teams were composed of college aged players (18-22?) that were most likely the best of the best college players at the time (however, the 1984 team did not include Charles Barkley if I recall).

The 1992 team was composed of the best of the best NBA players at the time (grown men and not college aged players (except for Christian Laettner, the token college player placed of the roster).

If the 1968 and 1984 teams were composed of the best of the best NBA players at the time arguments could be made that those teams were equal to the 1992 team.

The same thing can be said about the 1960, 1964, 1972, 1976 and 1988 olympic teams. Those teams also had rosters of the best of the best college players. Had those teams instead had rosters of the best of the best NBA players those teams would likely be equal to the 1992 team.

I think that the best NBA players of any era from the mid to late 1950's forward would play very competitively against the best NBA players of today.

I believe the current NBA has gotten so athletic, strong and so much range on the outside jumpers that they would kill the players of the 50's. Now obviously there are some players who would be great in any era...Chamberlain and a few more.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a link to the 84 NBA all-star game. Would have been a great squad as well, if it was pros like 92.

I didn't see it on YouTube, so hope this works. I doubt anyone will watch it, anyway. 😂😂 https://www.tokyvideo.com/video/all-star-1984-nba-full-match

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4for4 said:

@perkdog said:
    1992 was the best basketball team ever assembled

Sorry. I reworded the original question.

All good!

I didn't give it a second thought, I just gave my opinion based on how it was worded 🍻

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still think 92 would be the best. you have so many HOF players right in the middle of their primes. a 29 year old Jordan is about as good as anyone who ever played. and you have barkley, malone, ewing, stockton, pippen, Drexler all in their late 20s as well. trade Christian for a 29 year old Olajuwon and I would take the 92 team all day.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, it always bothered me that Isiah Thomas wasn't on the 92 Dream Team, he was a beast, could take a game over. I know Jordan and Thomas had beef with each other, but Isiah really was one of the best from that era and belonged on that team.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBBPJT6nJ8&pp=ygUXaXNpYWggdGhvbWFzIGFua2xlIGdhbWU%3D