Home Precious Metals

Englehard bar value

Ryan3313Ryan3313 Posts: 2
edited August 5, 2023 12:15PM in Precious Metals

Hi new here. Hope this is in the right place. I was hoping to find a value for a Engelhard bar I bought a few years ago. I got some information and submitted the number when I purchased this a few years ago so it's on the engelhard website. Any help on a value would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

$23.63 +/- $1 RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a great bar! Nice low mintage.
    Sorry I don’t have a value but I’m sure a collector would pay up for it.
    Thanks for sharing.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try to ignore blitzie when he complains about silver. He's oblivious to the value of silver, probably because he's lost every trade he's ever made in silver, but that's just a guess.

Try to find a completed Ebay auction result for a similar bar. That would be a good indicator on its current valuation.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    $23.63 +/- $1 RGDS!

This is very poor advice. Do you understand the concept of scarce collector items having value ?

Even the common versions of this bar sell on eBay for $40 each when shipping is added. The seller of such a bar would net, after 20% for fees and shipping, $30 to $32 each. That is "spot" plus $6.50 to $8.50 . And that is for the common one.

There are currently no comparable sales records on eBay for this scarcer version. I would guess that it would sell for $150 to $250, and possibly more than that.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that the AllEngelhard site states that the example of this bar shown has a misplaced "7" at the end of the serial number, and that is attributed to errant hand stamping. But I do not think that is correct. The marking machine that was used probably had an automatically-incrementing numbering head. This means that after every imprint, the character rotor automatically rolls to the next number. This is like an old-style odometer in a car or the printing of serial numbers on currency. The odd placement of the last "7" on the bar shown could be caused by the rotor not rotating the amount that it should have.

• Thank you guys I appreciate all the help.

• I’m checking with a friend but I think he had one of these and he sold it for around $1k. Yeah, crazy money but there are crazy Engelhard collectors.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums!

This stuff can be hard to price, but yeah, eBay sold listings, if one sells is usually a decent indicator.