Home U.S. Coin Forum

A different look into the 1982 Lincoln Cent, small and large date.

emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

This photo shows two 1982 D coins. The commonly referred to as the small date (2) coin, is 2.5 on the scale. (right)
The other 82 D weighs 3.1, with the small date in question. This is why I posted.
Where are we on ... If the eight is formed with the snowman effect, (the top circle is smaller than the bottom circle) with the 2 having no factor in small or large date. The 8 being what it is, shows the small date type ?
I put a colored circle inside the top circle in each of the eight's (arrows).
The circles below the photo are the exact same size as placed in the 8's. They are both the same size.
As for the bottom circle's.?......I hate typing.
Is this correct ?

Comments

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:

Where are we on ...

I can live in a world of zoomed in parking lot coins, but you write this and the next post and I ask:

Where are we on ... taking anything seriously?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Seriously ? The (horseshoe) 1982 D small date, does weigh 3.1
    I'm not into head games.
    The 1998 (horseshoe) D,? I needed another player to support the fact of the matter and lookie, lookie here's an 82 with all the bells and whistles. Dumb luck.
    Lets be clear on that post. Yes, they do show in hand with a glass.

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a horseshoe—that it is one-half of a mobius loop. Dude, black hole numismatics!

edited May 30, 2024 8:35PM

Ok a quate. Not a shoe. You are correct. The thing is not many people know about this subject.
    Your so picky.
    Same game, same objective, with a different shape being a circle, and a large space in the center to capture the peg.
    You can use whatever it takes to capture the peg. Even a cloths hanger could work. Then what would you call it. lol

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2024 4:06PM

@emeraldATV said:
    This photo shows two 1982 D coins. The commonly referred to as the small date (2) coin, is 2.5 on the scale. (right)
    The other 82 D weighs 3.1, with the small date in question. This is why I posted.
    Where are we on ... If the eight is formed with the snowman effect, (the top circle is smaller than the bottom circle) with the 2 having no factor in small or large date. The 8 being what it is, shows the small date type ?
    The circles below the photo are the exact same size as placed in the 8's. They are both the same size.
    Is this correct ?

Regarding “The other 82 D weighs 3.1, with the small date in question” - the 82-D on the left doesn’t appear to have the small date in question. Because based on how close the “2” is to the rim, it looks to be a Large Date example. You shouldn’t have to even look at the “8” to attribute the coin and the weight doesn’t make a difference.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@emeraldATV said:
    Is this correct ?

Regarding “The other 82 D weighs 3.1, with the small date in question” - the 82-D on the left doesn’t appear to have the small date in question. Because based on how close the “2” is to the rim, it looks to be a Large Date example. You shouldn’t have to even look at the “8” to attribute the coin and the weight doesn’t make a difference.

That is correct - the coin on the left is a large date example.

The OP is fixated on turning his common 1982-D large date bronze cent into a rare 1982-D small date bronze cent, hence the preoccupation with weight.

@MFeld said:

@emeraldATV said:
    Is this correct ?

Now that's what I needed to know, nine months ago.......no big-gee, snail mail's ok with me
    THY.
    With respect, the eight does play a big factor and much the same as the two.
    The two does determine a small date faster when working, but I would say the eight gives it clouser and without
    that your in limbo. No big-gee.
    That's my playbook.

@IkesT said:

That tiarria,
    The stones are trash, and so was the setter's hands when he set them.
    Now I'm hungry for Burger king. Although I'll wait for Wendy's ascii.

And the games continue. This is what I would call an ABC Cent. Already Been Chewed.
    Thus supporting .......A View to a Blind Eye, shaken not stirred.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@emeraldATV said:

Where are we on ...

I can live in a world of zoomed in parking lot coins, but you write this and the next post and I ask:

Where are we on ... taking anything seriously?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file