Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1949 canada cent A to denticle or , ?

i found this coin

and these other two 1949 canada cents, and it appears that i may have both varietys of 1949, but im not real sure on one and the other two could go either way, , i just dont know which is one is the one people look for, 1st or 3rd picture. any thoughts on these canadian cents?

Comments

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are both the A off denticle variety.

• sylsyl Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

1 and 3 are the same, neither are A to denticle, which is the collectible one.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭✭
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • NulteNulte Posts: 131 ✭✭

@Greenstang said:
    Those are both the A off denticle variety.

there were three, the second one doesnt look like a good struck coin. is the 1948 the same with the a to the denticles as w,ell, for the valuable ones or the opposite? if you remember, i get confused, still learning about canadian coinage, and im enjoying it greatly. thank you for your insight, and knowledge , i have the 1953 sf and nsf cents as well, i just need to figure out if they are the far or near variety, lol!

edited August 5, 2023 3:52AM

All three of your photos are the A off denticle variety.
    Actually in 1948 there are three varieties. The 1953 far and near variety are easy to spot.
    Best to show a clear photo of each on its own thread and we can help you with what you have.

ok thank you, im not a NEW collector, but the canadian coins are ALL new to me. i knew about the 1953 and 1955 sf and nsf but was not aware of there being 3 different 1948 coins and 1949.. if i post more photos after rounding them up, i will try to orient them all the same if i remember while retaking. and i think i can get a full penny shot but lighting might be tricky, and NO i do not trust cellular microwaves for just taking pictures, so i do not own one. i havent owned a cellular phone in about 20 years, 17 to be exact,lol! please be patient as i learn about the canadian coins, as i have lots of 1930s-60s and lots of questions, lol!! there are 4 total 1953 cents right, or are there more of those i need to read upon as well? thanks again

In 1949, 1953 and 1954, there are 2 varieties each.
    In 1947, 1948 and 1955, there are 3 varieties each.
    In 1965, there are 4 varieties.
    If you post clear photos of both sides of any coins you have a question about, there should be someone on this site that can help you. Post one coin per thread to avoid confusion.

@Greenstang said:

In 1949, 1953 and 1954, there are 2 varieties each.
    In 1947, 1948 and 1955, there are 3 varieties each.
    In 1965, there are 4 varieties.
    If you post clear photos of both sides of any coins you have a question about, there should be someone on this site that can help you. Post one coin per thread to avoid confusion.

wow! much to learn about canadian coins. Actually the first coin i EVER found was a 1908 large cent, in about 1976-77, and ive been hooked ever since, although MOST of my collection was lost after a break in.