Home U.S. Coin Forum

Share The Knowledge CRH'ing Stories

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 22, 2023 7:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Many of us CRH'ers have had some of the same experiences. A couple of weeks ago, a teller mentioned that there's a guy that comes in on a regular basis looking for coins and rolls the some way I do. She said; You guys would have a lot in common. I left her my name a number and asked her to pass it to him the next time he comes in.

So the guy calls me last week. We met at a local McDonald's. We sat there and talked for almost 4 hours!! We comparing notes, locations, talked about what we were looking for, what we have found, ideas, opinions and suggestions. I gave him some of my secrets and he gave me some of his. Two complete strangers, hitting it off over coins!!....much like all of us!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

  • WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2023 5:05AM

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Maybe but in my opinion it is better to share the passion and knowledge of the hobby with our fellow colleagues.

    I agree with Oakstar that this was a positive meeting.

    However, there should be an exchange of information and mutual respect by both parties not just one way.😉

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Well, I see your point but that's never really concerned me. I've never felt threatened by giving up some of my tricks or secrets. I've always believed in sharing the information and knowledge. Especially, when someone show a real interest in the hobby. Many numismatic experts here have shared their knowledge over the years and I've certainly benefited from that.

    I'm not a coin expert. I'm just a hobbyist. I've learned a lot from my little corner of the coin collecting world and thought maybe my experiences would be helpful to others.

    @WQuarterFreddie said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Maybe but in my opinion it is better to share the passion and knowledge of the hobby with our fellow colleagues.

    I agree with Oakstar that this was a positive meeting.

    However, there should be an exchange of information and mutual respect by both parties not just one way.😉

    It was really just a joke

  • WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Well, I see your point but that's never really concerned me. I've never felt threatened by giving up some of my tricks or secrets. I've always believed in sharing the information and knowledge. Especially, when someone show a real interest in the hobby. Many numismatic experts here have shared their knowledge over the years and I've certainly benefited from that.

    I'm not a coin expert. I'm just a hobbyist. I've learned a lot from my little corner of the coin collecting world and thought maybe my experiences would be helpful to others.

    @WQuarterFreddie said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Maybe but in my opinion it is better to share the passion and knowledge of the hobby with our fellow colleagues.

    I agree with Oakstar that this was a positive meeting.

    However, there should be an exchange of information and mutual respect by both parties not just one way.😉

    It was really just a joke

    If that is true may I suggest you add an LOL or one of these next time🤣😂😉

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WQuarterFreddie said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Well, I see your point but that's never really concerned me. I've never felt threatened by giving up some of my tricks or secrets. I've always believed in sharing the information and knowledge. Especially, when someone show a real interest in the hobby. Many numismatic experts here have shared their knowledge over the years and I've certainly benefited from that.

    I'm not a coin expert. I'm just a hobbyist. I've learned a lot from my little corner of the coin collecting world and thought maybe my experiences would be helpful to others.

    @WQuarterFreddie said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Maybe but in my opinion it is better to share the passion and knowledge of the hobby with our fellow colleagues.

    I agree with Oakstar that this was a positive meeting.

    However, there should be an exchange of information and mutual respect by both parties not just one way.😉

    It was really just a joke

    If that is true may I suggest you add an LOL or one of these next time🤣😂😉

    How are the emoji's working on the VB thread. I prefer to work without a laugh track.

  • WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @WQuarterFreddie said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Well, I see your point but that's never really concerned me. I've never felt threatened by giving up some of my tricks or secrets. I've always believed in sharing the information and knowledge. Especially, when someone show a real interest in the hobby. Many numismatic experts here have shared their knowledge over the years and I've certainly benefited from that.

    I'm not a coin expert. I'm just a hobbyist. I've learned a lot from my little corner of the coin collecting world and thought maybe my experiences would be helpful to others.

    @WQuarterFreddie said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    But now you've tipped of the competition to all your tricks...

    Maybe but in my opinion it is better to share the passion and knowledge of the hobby with our fellow colleagues.

    I agree with Oakstar that this was a positive meeting.

    However, there should be an exchange of information and mutual respect by both parties not just one way.😉

    It was really just a joke

    If that is true may I suggest you add an LOL or one of these next time🤣😂😉

    How are the emoji's working on the VB thread. I prefer to work without a laugh track.

    The emojis are working just fine. If you choose not to use them that is your loss but don't expect others to know when you are joking🤔

  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hit any pawn shops in your area and cherrypick them. They aren't dealers and know little about key dates, errors or varieties.

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Depending on how proactive and aggressive you are.. Hit some local Church rectory's and talk to an administrator. They have coins collected from Sunday's offering's and contributions. Sunday Offerings are the financial life blood of a parish.

    Many parishes have counting machines or volunteers that wrap the coins. At some point, someone is usually assigned to take the money to the bank. Your job is to intercept that bank deposit before it hits the banks.

    Some administrators "might" be willing to sell you those coins, which helps takes them off their hands!

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭

    Where I am, all CRHers are enemies. They are always trying to one up you, like dumping all their coins at the bank you get them at, or all 3 of them. That caused me to change banks, and now I use approximately 11 or so banks regularly so that doesn't happen. Other CRHers in my area are usually all business when you run across them and seem very reclusive. I like how friendly everyone is here, and I would never do things like telling the other CRHers cool things that I find except to the people here.

    Cheers, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

  • JWPJWP Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @OAKSTAR said:
    Depending on how proactive and aggressive you are.. Hit some local Church rectory's and talk to an administrator. They have coins collected from Sunday's offering's and contributions. Sunday Offerings are the financial life blood of a parish.

    Many parishes have counting machines or volunteers that wrap the coins. At some point, someone is usually assigned to take the money to the bank. Your job is to intercept that bank deposit before it hits the banks.

    Some administrators "might" be willing to sell you those coins, which helps takes them off their hands!

    @OAKSTAR said:
    Depending on how proactive and aggressive you are.. Hit some local Church rectory's and talk to an administrator. They have coins collected from Sunday's offering's and contributions. Sunday Offerings are the financial life blood of a parish.

    Many parishes have counting machines or volunteers that wrap the coins. At some point, someone is usually assigned to take the money to the bank. Your job is to intercept that bank deposit before it hits the banks.

    Some administrators "might" be willing to sell you those coins, which helps takes them off their hands!

    I asked my church pastor if it was ok for me to make change in the offering plate when it passed by me. From the look he gave me, the answer was NO.

    USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Too many CoinRollHunting stories of mine to tell.
    However, this one sticks out far more strange than them all!
    It's about "Strike Throughs".
    Couple of years back, while CRHunting, I came across an awesome obvious huge "S.T."
    It was a 2020p Rockefeller quarter.
    Very excited when I captured this beauty!
    Here's where the story takes OFF!
    2 Months later. Yes, 2 months!
    While CRHunting. Yep, you probably guessed it? I came across ANOTHER EXACT ONE!!!
    WHAT???
    2 months later. Even if I found the 2nd one moments later, would of been phenomenal!
    But 2 months later. 😆 I couldn't even tell you if I found the 2nd one from the same bank.
    Unbelievable!
    This is when I decided to definitely have both of these graded.
    Unfortunately, as you can see, one has a dreaded "scratch!"
    In which, is ok in my book. These 2 gems will NEVER be separated. As a matter of fact, NEVER to be sold, as well.
    Wow! Still can not phantom this strange happening.
    What are the odds?



    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭

    My favorite bank teller says that before I started coming there someone dropped off rolls of wheats, IHCs and Buffaloes. Another tells me of ten rolls of mercury dimes. This has not happened to me since I started searching. I had a completely unrelated teller tell me that old coins haven’t been coming in near as often since 2021. I am still waiting for my full silver rolls, but hopefully it will happen someday.

    Cheers, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file