Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

I am pretty low !

So I seem to have developed a habit.

I guess I am a pretty low collector.

I am putting together a set of $10 1934 MULE FRN stars.

I found the lowest recorded serial for the following districts: B star, D star, G star, I star, J star, and K star. I also know where the lowest L star is.

So far, I own SIX (HALF !!) of the lowest known $10 1934 mule stars !

For the entire set, I just need E, F, and L stars. L is next and a record low ......... AGAIN.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you own six and there are only three left, you are 2/3 of the way to completion. I presume none were issued for Boston, Philadelphia and St. Louis.

You are a "Find the needle in the haystack" type of collector, and good at it.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

its a sickness red, enjoy the hobby :)

• Options
    redseal53redseal53 Posts: 26
    edited July 26, 2023 11:33AM

@sellitstore said:
    If you own six and there are only three left, you are 2/3 of the way to completion. I presume none were issued for Boston, Philadelphia and St. Louis.

You are a "Find the needle in the haystack" type of collector, and good at it.

I have the A star from the Laguna Coast Collection, but it is not a record low. I have the only known C star mule in CU, but it is the SECOND lowest serial known, and I have RATTY H star mule (VG10 at best), that is the second HIGEST known serial.

The C star has THREE recorded, going back to 1977, and four for the H star. The top pop H star mule is a VF25 / 30, two fines, and my VG10.

For all 1934 $10 FRN mule stars, I have 63 recorded ! Most common is J star at 11 known.

The only known example printed in 1938. Almost all known were printed around 1944, so this is a VERY early J star mule.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, so all 12 districts exist but you only have the lowest number for 6 of them. That's still pretty darn impressive but new discoveries of lower numbers will still work actively against your goal. You need to acquire the new low ones as they turn up.

Most collectors choose grade over serial number but you have taken a different approach and won't fight as many collectors who are looking for top grade examples, except, of course, if the top grade also happens to be the lowest serial number known.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@sellitstore said:
    OK, so all 12 districts exist but you only have the lowest number for 6 of them. That's still pretty darn impressive but new discoveries of lower numbers will still work actively against your goal. You need to acquire the new low ones as they turn up.

Most collectors choose grade over serial number but you have taken a different approach and won't fight as many collectors who are looking for top grade examples, except, of course, if the top grade also happens to be the lowest serial number known.

I am not intentionally trying for lowest serials. I just happened to get them.

The six lows grade wise:

B star: Lowest grade of FOUR known. F12, finest is a VF25.
    D star: Lowest grade of two known with rumors of a third. Mine is a F12, top pop is VF25. A well known collector has looked for this note since 1977, and fails to have one !
    G star: AU50, and second finest.
    I star: VF30, and third finest of nine known.
    J star: VF25/30, and third finest of 11.
    K star: VF30 and finest of FOUR known.

FYI ONE GEM65 E star mule exists, but is tucked in a long term collection. That E star mule is unique so far, and its owner has been collecting since 1977, and has never seen another.

When this set is done, I expect four or five notes to be top pop.

TWO known, rumors of a third.

Lowest known mule (possibly from the first run of G stars that had mules). From May of 1938.

And lastly, the FINEST and second lowest number of THREE known, with a census going back to 1977 !

This star set is TOUGH to complete !