Home Sports Talk

Comments

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. I hope he recovers. That's shocking

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't even imagine what Lebron & his wife must be going through right now,its got to be pretty scary seeing this happen to your kid who was in phenomenal condition.

Reggie Lewis & Hank Gathers are two players that collapsed on court and died not to long after due to heart conditions.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, at least now he's out of the ICU.

“Yesterday while practicing Bronny James suffered a cardiac arrest. Medical staff was able to treat Bronny and take him to the hospital," according to a family statement.

"He is now in stable condition and no longer in ICU. We ask for respect and privacy for the James family and we will update media when there is more information. LeBron and Savannah wish to publicly send their deepest thanks and appreciation to the USC medical and athletic staff for their incredible work and dedication to the safety of their athletes.”

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

All this young healthy athletes suffering cardiac arrests since 2020. Makes you go hmmmmm.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the Hank Gathers tragedy. Seeing him fall to the basketball court during a game, not getting and passing away was horrible. What made it even worse is that he had a similar experience earlier in the season. He obtained medical treatment, survived and of course chose to continue playing.

His family, including his mother, were in the stands watching him play on the day he died.

After his death the recriminations/finger pointing/blame game surrounding:

1. his medical condition;

2. his medical treatment;

3. the advice he was given by medical providers;

4. his response to the advice he was given;

5. his personal decision to continue playing; and

6. the conduct of the school (LMU), the Athletic Department; the coaching staff; and the training staff

all came to the surface during intense media coverage; and during the inevitable lawsuit(s) filed by the Gather's family.

Reggie Lewis and his passing was in ways similar to Hank Gathers, except that it did not involve college athletics (instead it was professional basketball). I also remember a women's professional basketball player who had Marfan's syndrome who passed away at a young age. Then there is also the passing of Len Bias a day or so after he was drafted by the Celtics (due to a drug overdose).

It is horrible to see young persons struck down by medical conditions that you would not think would be present in persons so physically fit.

Hopefully Bronny James will end up being in perfect health and able to hoops without fear of future heart attacks. However, if it turns out that he has something present within him that puts him at risk for an early death, I hope that he and his family are wise enough to make the right choice (to not play).

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hank Gathers & Len Bias both had legit star potential at the time of their deaths. IIRC Hank led the NCAA in scoring & rebounding and was expected to be a top 1-2 pick in that next draft.
    Bias was expected to be the next great Celtics player who might have extended the 80's run with Reggie Lewis & Brian Shaw as Bird/McHale/Parish got older. Things took a catastrophic turn with Bias then Lewis both passing away. Reggie's wife sullied his name pretty good after his death with trying to sue literally anyone involved,it was huge news around here back then when she took it to trial.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2023 12:52PM

@2dueces said:
    All this young healthy athletes suffering cardiac arrests since 2020. Makes you go hmmmmm.

Agreed based on all the info I have looked at this is going on much more than people are aware of around the entire globe. Super healthy just drooping dead or having heart problems. And many other serious health problems that were much much less common pre-covid 19.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Hes the second player on that team to have that happen. Fortunately for both it was at the facilities where they have AEDs. This certainly didnt use to be the issue that its become across all sports

Missouri 14 OSU 3