Home Sports Talk

The "Greatest Hitter of His Generation" Can't Touch Fastballs Right Now

countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

An article written this past week by Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/06/14/mike-trout-slump-cant-hit-fastball-angels

TL/DR, then here's a quick synopsis:

If all of that looks and sounds familiar, it's because it's ripped right from the textbook we use for the Trouty 101 class at The University of Countdouglas! From the fact Trouty has never really been able to hit high fastballs, to debunking the myth that pitchers work around him rather than go right after him, to the fact he's one of the least feared hitters in the league in clutch situations (the "here-it-is-hit-it treatment" was normally saved for late game situations, but now they're punking him out all game long, and not only at 100+ as is often used as an excuse, but more often at just 92-96), right down to the comparison of his hitting prowess vs that of a somewhat competent hitting pitcher. I've always said that I don't need no fancy schmancy stats to tell me what my eyes see, but I'm glad that Verducci included the stats for all of the doubters, since they don't seem to actually watch the games.

Just remember, you can't spell

STRIKEOUTY without TROUTY!!!

トラウトは最悪です!

Comments

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not hitting anything now (july 5th)

" Angels star undergoes surgery for wrist fracture, expected to be out four to eight weeks"

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

the timeline says he could return for September, but I am kind of doubting that right now. I think the LAA will be well out of contention by then and he will lay low for the rest of the season. Similar to what happened a couple of years ago when he had his mysterious calf injury that kept him out for almost a whole season.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why Collectors Universe did this. They must have loved the topic so much, they posted it twice? Lol

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe this was the original version of my thread. It was "pending approval" for several days, so I tweaked it and posted the new version without a problem. After all of this time, they decided to post it as a new thread. Lol

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭

I keep waiting for Count Dougie to apply his "I hate Trout" logic to Shohei.

According to Dougie, Trout wasn't that great and is totally overrated because the Angels didn't win and Trout wasn't clutch enough when Dougie was watching games on the TV and obsessing about the man that allegedly slept with his wife (or whatever it was Trout did to earn the Counts unrelenting enmity). A few years ago, Countie was obsessed with Trout taking too many called strike threes and implored Trout to at least swing. The last few years Trout has many more swinging strikeouts and Dougie now criticizes Trout for swinging strikeouts.

Shohei has had arguably the greatest 3 years of any player in the history of baseball. Yet the Angels have had losing records the last two years and are 5 games out of a wild card spot as of today. According to the critics, doesn't that mean that Ohtani is totally overrated and doesn't deserve any of the accolades heaped upon him? Isn't that what those same critics have said of Trout and his 3 MVP awards and 4 runner up finishes?

Robb