Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2023 Celebration Sovereign NEWP

ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard about this coin initially after they had sold out from the royal mint, so I never stood a chance to get one at the issue price.

The premiums asked for these are a little bit crazy, but I kept looking at them and really started wanting one.

Pretty cool with a low mintage of 1260 pieces and all being struck on the actual day of the coronation. The plain edge is also pretty cool…

I found an eBay listing that was somewhat reasonable, and in the US, so shipping would be quick… I ended up pulling the trigger. B)

Paid $1605 total, plus grading fees, so I’ll be a little north of $1700 when it’s all said and done.

It’s a bit of a gamble, but I really like this coin and I think I will enjoy owning this one…

It arrived today in the mail, and all of the packaging is pristine and complete, so soon out to PCGS and we’ll see how it grades…

Does anyone else here have one of these? Were you able to get it from the royal mint directly?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool to have one from the actual day, I reckon.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭✭

That's no gamble iMHO. You made a great purchase for the beautiful coin!!
    Congrats!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@percyb said:
    That's no gamble iMHO. You made a great purchase for the beautiful coin!!
    Congrats!

I appreciate that. 👍
    Obviously price is a consideration and resale is always part of the equation, but I do primarily buy for my collection and I think that I will enjoy this. I’ve always liked the look of the frosty Matte strike.

@lordmarcovan said:
    Cool to have one from the actual day, I reckon.

Not many coins have a birth date…
    At least one that is known…

I also have one piece of silver that has a code on it, and there is a book to research it and there is an actual date of completion for the silver piece so literally this coin and that bowl are the only pieces that I can tell you the actual day they were made…

And that’s pretty cool. 🤓

I just shot a couple close-ups of the coin before it goes off to PCGS:

This thing really looks terrific!

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

I was fortunate enough to get one directly from the RM as well as several other coronation issues - ounce, 5£, 1/4 oz gold, 50p. Very nice presentation for a historically significant event.

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

It does and it is. I think it’s the best available contemporary coin around and you own it.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

@percyb said:

@asheland said:

It does and it is. I think it’s the best available contemporary coin around and you own it.

Thanks!
    It’s in the mail today to PCGS, hopefully I’ll make a 70!

@Orlena said:
    I was fortunate enough to get one directly from the RM as well as several other coronation issues - ounce, 5£, 1/4 oz gold, 50p. Very nice presentation for a historically significant event.

Please post pictures in this thread if you’re able, I’d love to see the others…

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

These are stock photos since their photos are better than anything I could produce. Also got a couple of the 1/40th oz gold. It’s identical to the 1/4 ounce pictured above except it’s about the size of a shirt button. It’s a novelty, but I’m guessing all of this series will appreciate in value over the next several years due to the historical significance.

@Orlena said:

These are stock photos since their photos are better than anything I could produce. Also got a couple of the 1/40th oz gold. It’s identical to the 1/4 ounce pictured above except it’s about the size of a shirt button. It’s a novelty, but I’m guessing all of this series will appreciate in value over the next several years due to the historical significance.

Very nice!

• CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 4:54PM

I just received my 2023 Coronation Sovereign from Apmex. This is just the regular bullion coin. Here's a quick pic through the mylar flip with my iPhone.

@Crackout said:
    I just received my 2023 Coronation Sovereign from Apmex. This is just the regular bullion coin. Here's a quick pic through the mylar flip with my iPhone.

I am strongly, considering getting one of those as well!

Thank you for posting that here. 👍

The trueview just showed up this morning:

edited September 25, 2023 12:07PM

In hand today!

updated pictures today, September 25, I had to have this piece reholdered, it’s a long story, but it’s new plastic with better pictures:

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I just got notification that this made a 70!
    Likely will have it back later in the week. B)

Congratulations
    Now that piece is extra, extra, extra, extra, extra Special
    WTG

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

@Swampboy said:

@asheland said:
    I just got notification that this made a 70!
    Likely will have it back later in the week. B)

Congratulations
    Now that piece is extra, extra, extra, extra, extra Special
    WTG

Indeed!

Thanks! 👍

@Crackout said:

I ended up getting one and sending it to PCGS.
    I forgot about this thread:

I like your new slabbed regular issue sovereign and the Trueview @asheland ! But don't store it next to your matte finish piece, it might get jealous!

@Crackout said:
    I like your new slabbed regular issue sovereign and the Trueview @asheland ! But don't store it next to your matte finish piece, it might get jealous!

Ha! I know! :p

This video was shot before the regular version came back, but, did you see the trio in the video?

https://youtube.com/shorts/oKlu3QE8psI?si=PWlohZRPPuIDg7b7

I think they all complement each other.

That's a very nice set you have with all of them in PCGS plastic!

• coinboynyccoinboynyc Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or did the Royal Mint use a different font for the numerals in the year?

Let's Go Mets!

@coinboynyc said:
    Is it just me, or did the Royal Mint use a different font for the numerals in the year?

I believe they did

I got the piece back today from reholdering, I updated the pictures above.