Home Sports Talk

Ohtani's next team?

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2023 11:39PM in Sports Talk

The Angels will unload him in the next few weeks.
Who is going to back up the armored truck for him and will that be his final resting place or is it just a short term rental spot?

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had to guess, the other LA team or one of the NY teams.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking either the Dodgers or the Yankees for a rental piece.
    Long term everybody else will want him and he will have to choose where he really wants to play in free agency,
    Money will not be in play as Brinks can get tons of money in a truck.
    I would guess it would take at least $60.000,000 a year to sign him long term.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yankees is my bet

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2023 2:01PM

Theres only one LA team the Dodgers. The Los Angels Angels of Anaheim deserve to lose every game until they have a legitimate name. Should we have the Vancouver Mariners of Seattle or the Tijuana Padres of San Diego next?

That said the most likely thing is that Othani doesnt get traded unless someone does something really stupid like Preller did for the Soto trade. The owner doesnt want to trade him and seems to prefer the revenue he brings in. They should trade him though if they cant sign him to an extension

He wont get 60 million a year either eventhough hes worth more like 80 million a year if not more. Its unlilkely hell break 50 a year if its long term but should be over 40.

The thing with Othani is that money isnt going to dictate his decision. The Angels werent the highest bidders for him, he wanted to go play with Trout and Pujols. He almost signed with the Cubs because Darvish was there and prefers to be on the west coast.

What a lot of people dont realize is that Othani makes over 40 million a year in endorsement deals alone which absolutely blows everyone out of the water in MLB. Japan loves basesball, and they love Othani. His contract will pay for itself. It would be a huge shift for him to go somewhere just because they offer a little more money. Its almost certainly going to be somewhere he likes and thinks can win that gives him a legitimate offer

Missouri 14 OSU 3

I agree totally that he will play wherever he feels the most comfortable and the money does not make a big difference to him as he already has more money than he will ever be able to spend.
    I think he will end up a Dodger because it is easier to play there.
    The yankees will probably offer the most money but he has seen how they treat their players and will want no part of them. He could fool everybody and go with another team entirely because of a friendship he has made along the way.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I agree totally that he will play wherever he feels the most comfortable and the money does not make a big difference to him as he already has more money than he will ever be able to spend.
    I think he will end up a Dodger because it is easier to play there.
    The yankees will probably offer the most money but he has seen how they treat their players and will want no part of them. He could fool everybody and go with another team entirely because of a friendship he has made along the way.

I actually think the Dodgers are a long shot. They may make an exception for him or given his age he may make an exception himself, but the Dodgers generally offer free agents very short deals with the highest AAV. They offered Harper close to 50 a year but it was only like 3 years and he wanted long term.

I think SD is the favorite for him at the moment for a number of reasons. Darvish is there and hes talked about wanting to be on a team with him, they have an owner that is willing to spend, Snell and Hader are free agents and should be traded (Preller is one of the worst GMs in baseball so who knows), and they desperately need a legitimate DH. Soto should be the DH but they dont have any other options for the OF. After Preller decimated the #1 rated farm system in baseball for Soto and Hader they have no choice but to be aggressive with free agents, this is especially true with him consistently using their first round picks on HS players that will take years to be any help. Anything less than winning the WS and the Soto trade is a complete and utter disaster even more so than it already has been.

Other than the Giants being aggressive on him itll be a complete crap shoot at that point and whether or not he would play on the east coast. If hes willing to go east the Braves could be very aggressive with all the players they have locked up long term at below market value, Phillies been willing to spend. Boston has the money but the Henrys seem more interested in their other ventures right now, I'm not sure the Yankees want to spend that money either

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited July 17, 2023 11:42PM

I doubt Henry will open up his wallet, as you say , he is spread too thin right now with other ventures. I really would not be surprised if he ends up in San Diego .

BUT CAN YOU IMAGINE IF OUR NEW JAPANESE PLAYER MAKES HIM WANT TO PLAY FOR THE RED SOX!

He says he wants to play for a winner and the Sox are getting stronger as the season moves along.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

Ohtani will be an Angel. He seems like he loves it there. He can't control that the roster is actually solid and then they all get hurt. It could happen to any team. Yankees went from studs to looking like a bunch of homeless guys in pinstripes over the past month. Injuries change a team overnight.

edited July 23, 2023 2:11PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    BUT CAN YOU IMAGINE IF OUR NEW JAPANESE PLAYER MAKES HIM WANT TO PLAY FOR THE RED SOX!

He says he wants to play for a winner and the Sox are getting stronger as the season moves along.

They played against each other a little in Japan and on the same WBC team but I'm not sure what if any relationship they have

The Darvish thing is unique in the sense that Othani grew up with Darvish being the biggest star there. Darvish was in contention for their version of the Cy Young as a 19 year old and was the best pitcher there from that point on. Until Othani came along several years later Darvish was the biggest thing since Ichiro.

Between him and Pujols/Trout, it seems that the guys that hes willing to admit to want to play with are guys he grew up watching

If he was playing in those AL East hitter friendly parks he might already have 60 Hrs this year

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Mickey71 said:
    Ohtani will be an Angel. He seems like he loves it there. He can't control that the roster is actually solid and then they all get hurt. It could happen to any team. Yankees went from studs to looking like a bunch of homeless guys in pinstripes over the past month. Injuries change a team overnight.

They may not trade him, but considering they havent even had extension talks its unlikely hes coming back. Moreno also recently tried to sell the team and claimed he changed his mind. Whats far more likely is he had an unrealistic asking price and didnt like the offers he was getting. Thats not really the actions of an owner thats preparing to sign the biggest free agent contract in baseball history

Othanis contract is going to be 400 or 500 million. 12 years 500 million is very much in play if not more. I also doubt that Othani wants to spend his entire MLB career missing the playoffs. Its pretty unlikely the Angels resign him

Missouri 14 OSU 3

If he goes to free agency the Red Sox will be in the hunt for him for sure.
    I doubt the Sox will trade for him as they don't went to give up what it would take to sign him.
    It will come down to where he wants to play and I hope it's Fenway!!

@tommyrusty7 said:
    If he goes to free agency the Red Sox will be in the hunt for him for sure.
    I doubt the Sox will trade for him as they don't went to give up what it would take to sign him.
    It will come down to where he wants to play and I hope it's Fenway!!

I wouldnt say theyre going to for sure be a legitimate option. They didnt wank to pay Mookie. Granted Othani is significantly better than Mookie, but hes also going to be significantly more expensive. Dont forget a major reason Bloom was hired was they wanted someone who was used to working with small payrolls. Othani may take like a 10 400 over a 12 500 but his contract will be in that range as long as he stays healthy

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

He is going to the Dodgers. Just up the 5 freeway, less than one hour drive, and above all, ready to win. In addition, loaded with cash. I can't see him leaving the west coast.

We shall see what he decides to do in a few months. The Red Sox have a lot of young talent to go along with him. What's so great about the west coast besides being closer to Japan.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mariners. I’m chipping in $1000 myself (cash).

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

The Red Sox are coming on strong now .
    Ohtani will give them some serious consideration when the time comes.
    Matsui is having a fantastic year and the rookies on the team are coming together.
    Don't forget the Sox have been playing very short on starting pitching and will be getting them back shortly.
    Ohtani wants to play for a winning team!

@tommyrusty7 said:
    The Red Sox are coming on strong now .
    Ohtani will give them some serious consideration when the time comes.
    Matsui is having a fantastic year and the rookies on the team are coming together.
    Don't forget the Sox have been playing very short on starting pitching and will be getting them back shortly.
    Ohtani wants to play for a winning team!

Hes not going to give them any consideration unless they have a 400 million+ dollar offer for him

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Money is not going to be the deciding factor for him but I think Mr Henry knows what Ohtani will do for his attendance and will come up to the plate to sign him if Fenway is the place he wants to play. He already has more money than he or his family can ever spend.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typically the union doesn't want players signing for anything significantly under market value.

Ohtani's situation is unique because he is playing two positions simultaneously at a high level. Does anyone know of any discussion about pressure on Ohtani to not take a deal which doesn't take this into consideration?

I would think that this situation would be used to set precedent. But this i mean...Ohtani would take a deal which pays him as if he is two players, minus a certain percentage just to keep it more reasonable. For example, if a hitter and pitcher of his caliber could make around 80, he would sign for 60 to 70. However, the team signing him would be allowed to protect itself, and have clauses pertaining to (most likely) his pitching availability.

The reason I am thinking like this is because of everything I have read and heard about the union.

Anything less than 60, and he is signing for a lot less than market value, assuming he were to continue being both an every game hitter and a starting pitcher.

So if he does sign for 40isg, as some are predicting, it will not set a precedent placing additional value on any who do the same thing in the future. And maybe that will be the point.

edited July 26, 2023 10:46AM

I really don't think money will be the deciding factor, it will come down to where he wants to play.

You can say what you want about the Red Sox GM but he has brought the team from the 15th worst farm system to the top 5th in the last 3 years.

@thisistheshow said:
    Typically the union doesn't want players signing for anything significantly under market value.

Ohtani's situation is unique because he is playing two positions simultaneously at a high level. Does anyone know of any discussion about pressure on Ohtani to not take a deal which doesn't take this into consideration?

I would think that this situation would be used to set precedent. But this i mean...Ohtani would take a deal which pays him as if he is two players, minus a certain percentage just to keep it more reasonable. For example, if a hitter and pitcher of his caliber could make around 80, he would sign for 60 to 70. However, the team signing him would be allowed to protect itself, and have clauses pertaining to (most likely) his pitching availability.

The reason I am thinking like this is because of everything I have read and heard about the union.

Anything less than 60, and he is signing for a lot less than market value, assuming he were to continue being both an every game hitter and a starting pitcher.

So if he does sign for 40isg, as some are predicting, it will not set a precedent placing additional value on any who do the same thing in the future. And maybe that will be the point.

This. He wont necessarily take the highest deal if it was like 1- years 400 vs 10 years 415, but hes not taking a 10 200 because he wants to play somewhere. He knows he has a responsibility to have a reasonable contract for the sake of everyone else. If he plays for 10 200 or something like that the first thing every team says in arbitration and contract discussions is you arent as good as Othani.

10 400 would be a record deal. You are right that if he was two different people it would be more like 10 700. I dont think anyone is going to give him 60 a year unless hes willing to do short term deals which the Dodgers would love and he would set a new AAV record if he did that. He will likely end up in the 10 year 40 something a year range setting a new record. The long term deals have all been in the 30 something a year range.

Theres really only a handful of teams that will be in play. Most teams probably wont even bother knowing that a 10 year or more deal will have to start with at least a 4 as the first digit.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@tommyrusty7 said:
    You can say what you want about the Red Sox GM but he has brought the team from the 15th worst farm system to the top 5th in the last 3 years.

Just keep in mind that a big part of the reason theyve moved up is because the systems ahead of them either called up players or traded them away dropping their ranks. They have one top 10 guy which generally work out and one other top 50 which work out more often than not. Once you get past the top 50 you get more guys that are busts than work out.

I dont have anything against Bloom and would take him over Preller (I'd take a ton of GMs over him), but he wasnt brought there to be cutting 400 million plus checks for free agents which is what it will take to sign Othani.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

They have saved enough money the last 3 years to get them under that dreaded spending limit.
    Now is the time to splurge on Utahan.
    The rumor is the Angels are not going to trade him

@tommyrusty7 said:
    They have saved enough money the last 3 years to get them under that dreaded spending limit.
    Now is the time to splurge on Utahan.
    The rumor is the Angels are not going to trade him

Moneys never been the issue, its just whether or not they will spend it. They could have extended Mookie if they wanted too.

Angels arent going to trade him, theyre buyers and just traded for Giolitto

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Yes, they could have extended Mookie but they had no players to go with him so what good could he have done all by himself?
    There is no doubt that the Angels are not going to trade Ohtani so we just have to wait for free agency and see if the Red Sox open their wallet and where Ohtani wants to play.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Yes, they could have extended Mookie but they had no players to go with him so what good could he have done all by himself?
    There is no doubt that the Angels are not going to trade Ohtani so we just have to wait for free agency and see if the Red Sox open their wallet and where Ohtani wants to play.

Devers, JD, and Bogi were there together for a couple more years. They had the players at the time. They just didnt want to pay him and decided to use him to get rid of Price making a financial decision over on field performance. I dont have a problem if someone wants to argue that he wasnt worth what it took for a long term deal since speed is the first thing you lose, but I just dont see them opening the wallet for a legitimate offer for Othani. It would certainly be a change of direction from how theyve operated the last few years if they did.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Who knows where Ohtani wants to play as he is being very secretive about it.
    The Red Sox in the past have made some big deals to acquire major stars so I wouldn't rule it out.
    They have 4 starting pitchers on the IL right now who possibly could help them out big time this year so I would not like to see them give up the young players that are showing so much progress this year.
    I really don't see that much good talent out there that they can steal from other teams without hurting the farm anyway,