Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Someone is about to get ripped off by Goodwill

JordanCollectorJordanCollector Posts: 33

Was browsing the app. They are selling a "1986 Fleer Jordan rookie" right now, unauthenticated. As Is. Clearly it is an obvious reprint. Check it out.
Item #171667450.
Its at 2000 dollars.

Feel bad for whoever is gonna buy it. Case of buyer beware.

Michael Jordan collector of cards and memorabilia for about 30 years.

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ironmanfan said:
    anyone that would purchase an iconic card like that at ShopGoodwill deserves to get f&#*ed

IMF

hey Ironmanfan,
    You get an agree, a like, and a laugh out loud on that one... :)
    That was Pretty Good... :)

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

let me get the black light going for this one... B)

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Is it too late to retract my bid? 😉

• Options

@Ironmanfan said:
    anyone that would purchase an iconic card like that at ShopGoodwill deserves to get f&#*ed

IMF

Indeed. That is so true. Haha

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    let me get the black light going for this one... B)

Oh oh oh! Thats at least a PSA 9, probably a 10. I think I can see the bubble gum stain on the front even better!!! :D

• Options
    edited July 10, 2023 12:12AM

I just got an email from Goodwill in response to an email i sent them.

[ticket closed]
    (My name), thanks for reaching out with
    your opinion. We did state the item
    has not been authenticated, and
    we also accept returns should the
    customer who purchases have the
    tem authenticated and it not be real.

its at 2,500 dollars right now.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JordanCollector said:
    I just got an email from Goodwill in response to an email i sent them.

[ticket closed]
    (My name), thanks for reaching out with
    your opinion. We did state the item
    has not been authenticated, and
    we also accept returns should the
    customer who purchases have the
    tem authenticated and it not be real.

its at 2,500 dollars right now.

Translation: if we at goodwill can get away with a little good ol' fashioned fraud so be it!

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I strongly disagree. Nobody deserves to get screwed. Ok, so a newbie or just uneducated has bid. Maybe someone is buying for a gift for someone and has never even bought a card. I say shame on the seller. He has at this point has enough input to realize something is off with the card.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be very surprised if someone who had never purchased a sportscard before would make a $2500+ card their first purchase.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I agree. I juat bitched them ou> @jay0791 said:

I strongly disagree. Nobody deserves to get screwed. Ok, so a newbie or just uneducated has bid. Maybe someone is buying for a gift for someone and has never even bought a card. I say shame on the seller. He has at this point has enough input to realize something is off with the card.

Its beyond redic they are allowing the item to be auctioned off still. Ive provided them the reason WHY it is fake and told them to compare the back with an authentic graded card.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2023 5:51AM

I agree. I juat bitched them out competely. Th> @craig44 said:

I would be very surprised if someone who had never purchased a sportscard before would make a $2500+ card their first purchase.

You have way to much faith in the human race. Plus, there are 29 bids already on the card.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's admirable that you're trying to stop a rip-off from happening, whether it's intentional or not on the part of Goodwill.

To give them credit they probably don't know whether it's fake or not, how to judge it or even if they should. For all they know you're trying to cut out buyers so you can get a deal. At some point they have to take responsibility for selling fake stuff and educate themselves better.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2023 9:59AM

I get the possibility that a first-time card purchaser has spent that kind of money. I know of 2 cases personally (as gifts for hubby) and one was for $5K. The Ebay guarantee will put a stop to this anyways.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    It's admirable that you're trying to stop a rip-off from happening, whether it's intentional or not on the part of Goodwill.

To give them credit they probably don't know whether it's fake or not, how to judge it or even if they should. For all they know you're trying to cut out buyers so you can get a deal. At some point they have to take responsibility for selling fake stuff and educate themselves better.

I agree, they need to educate themselves better on something like this before they auction it off. If they do a quick search on the 86 Fleer Jordan they would see that this card is notorious for being counterfeited.

I feel that what Goodwill is doing by auctioning this card is similar to someone auctioning a diamond ring that could have a cubic zirconium stone.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I get the possibility that a first-time card purchaser has spent that kind of money. I know of 2 cases personally (as gifts for hubby) and one was for $5K. The Ebay guarantee will put a stop to this anyways.

It's not on ebay. It will be up to the buyer to figure out it isn't real and then try to dispute it with Goodwill...

• Options

Ohhh
    that does change things......

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@BBBrkrr said:

I always try to be admirable in life and to do whats "right" and I did educate them. I gave them point by point on how it was a fake.

I ripped em bad in an email after they responded. Waiting to see what they say or IF they say. This type of shit really bothers me. But all i can do is try.

• Options

@secretstash said:

@jay0791 said:

It's not on ebay. It will be up to the buyer to figure out it isn't real and then try to dispute it with Goodwill...

Goodwill is not taking any responsibilty in the response they gave me, thats clear and in the poat.

What I dont like is they are titling the auction as it is the rookie and kind of in the description by stating the following.

"Item Attributes
    Graded: No
    Sport: Basketball
    CONDITION:Used
    1986 Fleer Michael Jordan Basketball Rookie Card #57.
    It is in Very Good Condition.
    Disclaimer
    YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO READ THE FOLLOWING DESCRIPTION BEFORE BIDDING
    PRODUCTS DISCLAIMER: Please note that all items listed have been donated. Lots are unsorted, unless therwise noted. We do our best to ensure the quality of all our auctions. Please remember we are not experts in any field. Items may contain unseen flaws not noted in the description. All items are sold AS IS. If you need further information about an item, please."

They arent taking any responsibility. But i am an expert (obv they wouldnt know tho.l And they ARENT ensuring the quality of the auction after being guided that they ARE wrong in stating IT IS a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2023 11:49AM

I just got this email from Goodwill Ecommerce. Not the store itself. The bigger company.

They didnt even look at the auction. Haha.
    This is th response:

"Hello, unfortunately this is an untested item so its not certain if it powers on or has any further functions. Please keep this in mind when bidding. Thank
    You Goodwill Ecommerce."

Wowwwwwwwww.

Theres a Non-Profit for ya folks.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JordanCollector said:
    I just got this email from Goodwill Ecommerce. Not the store itself. The bigger company.

This is th response:

"Hello, unfortunately this is an untested item so its not certain if it powers on or has any further functions. Please keep this in mind when bidding. Thank
    You Goodwill Ecommerce."

Wowwwwwwwww.

Translation - This card is so fake it needs to be powered on in order to see the image! :#

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JordanCollector said:

This is th response:

You Goodwill Ecommerce."

Wowwwwwwwww.

I'd bet you there are a lot of people making some good money even though it's a non-profit.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to know the backstory on why Goodwill even got a card like this. Was it found in a box of other misc. stuff that was donated? Did it get donated by itself? Did the person buy it thinking it was real, and when they got it, it was a fake, so now they are trying for a big tax write-off by donating it? So many questions with no answers.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2023 4:13PM

Legalities aside they are morally and ethically bankrupt.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:

@swish54 said:
    Did the person buy it thinking it was real, and when they got it, it was a fake, so now they are trying for a big tax write-off by donating it?

That's a pretty good guess and what I would bet. The alternative is guy bought a real Jordan (perhaps raw, subsequently authenticated), and donates the fake one claiming the deduction.

Almost certainly the donor knows its fake and one of the two tax plays is the motivation.

@GreenSneakers said:

@swish54 said:
    Did the person buy it thinking it was real, and when they got it, it was a fake, so now they are trying for a big tax write-off by donating it?

That's a pretty good guess and what I would bet. The alternative is guy bought a real Jordan (perhaps raw, subsequently authenticated), and donates the fake one claiming the deduction.

Almost certainly the donor knows its fake and one of the two tax plays is the motivation.

Interesting!!!!

• Options

Its up to 3,000. 8 hours left.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

What happens if you bid a real high price and then just don't pay? Maybe you would catch the right person's attention?

• Options

@jimq said:
    What happens if you bid a real high price and then just don't pay? Maybe you would catch the right person's attention?

The auction is pver. Someone just picked this flawless reprint for 3801.00.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    Now we wait for the new member thread "Is this Jordan rookie real or fake?"

Not likely. I doubt a newbie would have bid $3801 if he had doubts.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I’ve been on this earth a long time, and if I’ve learned one thing, it’s that intelligence and wealth are not always correlated.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:

@craig44 said:

I’ve been on this earth a long time, and if I’ve learned one thing, it’s that intelligence and wealth are not always correlated.

Bingo. All the folk saying a newbie wouldnt just bid have far far too much faith in humanity.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

JordanCollector thanks for doing all you could to prevent this. It's too bad places like Goodwill and ebay make it hard for honest people to prevent fraud. I guess the dollar comes first.

• Options

@jimq said:
    JordanCollector thanks for doing all you could to prevent this. It's too bad places like Goodwill and ebay make it hard for honest people to prevent fraud. I guess the dollar comes first.

Man, i tried. I really did. You'd think a "non-profit" with the name GOODWILL would have done the right thing and pulled the damn auction.

Sad state the world is in. Sad system we all contribute to and allow to continue.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭

I hope that the high bidder has no intention of paying & just got involved to ensure no one else won.

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2023 6:45AM

@JordanCollector said:

@jimq said:

Man, i tried. I really did. You'd think a "non-profit" with the name GOODWILL would have done the right thing and pulled the damn auction.

Sad state the world is in. Sad system we all contribute to and allow to continue.

Most of what they take in is funneled to administrative expenses and bonus' for the top rung of the org. It's not United Way type crooked but it's nowhere in any fashion near American Red Cross altruistic.