Home Stamps Forum
Options

If someone offered you a stamp collection ...

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 9, 2023 7:25AM in Stamps Forum

... how would you go about developing an offer if you were only interested in resale?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Depends on what's being offered. Can you provide some more details?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gansetttime said:
    Depends on what's being offered. Can you provide some more details?

It is strictly hypothetical. How would you develop an offer for a collectible that has been in a long term downward trend (as stamps have been)? I would offer virtually nothing for common material and would sharply discount better material to allow for any future declines that might take place before the collection could be sold.

What would you use as a pricing guide? Are any current pricing guides realistic or are stated prices far too high?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Junk/beginner albums I offer $10-$20, a little more if some better countries are in them. These become packet material for minimum pricing.

Specialized countries/themes are tricky. Some countries are not popular/hot and will become packet material. So offer would be minimal. Better countries vary, I'd offer 20-50% book, again for better material. Better material always moves.

My specialty is US, so I'm pretty familiar with current trends/pricing. I've never been offered a high end collection, but would certainly seek assistance if one were offered to me from some local dealers (thankfully some big hobby dealers live close by) but I'm sure they have already been contacted about these type collections.

If a fairly complete US mint NH collection comes my way from 1900-2000 with average condition and all keys (Zeps/White Plains/etc types) my offer is around $1,200-1,500. Post 2000-current, 50% face, unless in Post Office wrap, 80%.
    Where did I get this from? A major show dealer who was presented this exact type collection and that was his offer.

I use Dr. Bob Friedman/Champion Stamp Co ads to see what country collections go for, as they normally offer catalog value in listings, and their retail price gives an idea of what you should offer a seller for similar material.

Henry Gitner gives information on lesser items in his buy ads, which are also useful to see what's currently hot/in demand based on specific catalog # needs. Mainly US stamps.

Another favorite resource is Smits Philately in the Netherlands. The show every stamp in the collections they sell, so that helps me determine what I could offer if presented.

Catologs can be helpful, but it really depends on the stamps and year of catalog. Pricing isn't updated for some countries in years. So pricing may be off either way, up or down.

Hope some of this helps,

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it depends on the seller. If it is a person with stamp knowledge (an actual collector) I try to be as reasonable as possible. But if it is a person with no knowledge (family member looking to get rid of grandfather's collection, garage sale find) I start my offer low and work my way up. A lot of times people are happy to get any money for "worthless" collections. I have bought extremely large collections for under $40. Mind you, I collect stamps and enjoy working on my collection, so my purchases are not for resale purposes.

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Be reasonable where both parties can make a few bucks.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

How did it go ?

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex