Home Sports Talk

I cant wait for football season

craig44craig44 Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 9, 2023 4:36AM in Sports Talk

this is definitely the sports world doldrums for me. only one of the 4 big American sports going on and no football. it is so dead around here with no pigskin happenings to talk about. This time of year i find myself going days without even checking the board.

I sure could use an Aaron Rodgers meme right about now...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2023 5:00AM

Yep, I barely pay attention to MLB outside of my small chump change fantasy lineups

Big time Boring and this place is a ghost town

edited July 9, 2023 5:02AM

I been keeping busy with other stuff though

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of football season, does anyone know what happened to Double Dragon? I haven't seen him on here in a while it seems. Maybe I missed something? He sure keeps this forum rockin and rollin. Hope he's just taking a break.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I been keeping busy with other stuff though

hey perkdog,
    Very nice pics... :)

@LandrysFedora said:
    Speaking of football season, does anyone know what happened to Double Dragon? I haven't seen him on here in a while it seems. Maybe I missed something? He sure keeps this forum rockin and rollin. Hope he's just taking a break.

hey Landry,
    I was thinking the same thing about DD... :)

edited July 9, 2023 10:52AM

Thanks @GroceryRackPack

I think @doubledragon is busy helping out his neighbor who has sine medical issues, no wifi over there I think I remember him saying

This month is historically the quietest, Lots of guys are not posting much

Darin, Galaxy, 2dueces, Doubledragon and some others

It will pick up.once training camp starts

I cant wait for football season...

I know...i know...

I still have countless hours saved on VHS...

I've been DVRr'ing some games on the NFL network, like last night I watched SB 15 Raiders-Eagles...

and too been DVR'ing lots of college from the Big 10 net - Pac 12 net - ESPNU...

I kind of have a mental spreed sheet in my mind, saying to myself I watch that one and make room for this one...

or save this one, and when that same one appears on the Pac 12 net, I'll delete the old recording and save the new recording....2020 Rose Bowl, I know that I've watched that one at least 10 times or more...

this might be an odd - off the wall question, would anyone here have the 2022 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Eastern Michigan - San Jose State on DVD ???

I know Friday, Nov 24th, I will have to do some serious multi-tasking...to figure out my watching schedule, and too Friday's is my ending auction times...so I might not have time to horse play on the forum that day...

:)

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭

I can hardly wait for the all star game to be over as 4 days without a Red Sox game seems to be forever. Yes I am still watching every game and the Red Sox will be in the playoffs. Football is ok but baseball is really my # 1 sport. Always has been!

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still cant believe the Reds are in 1st place this late in the season. I guess miracles do happen sometimes.

But yeah, bring on college football. Looking forward to labor day weekend as always.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:
    I still cant believe the Reds are in 1st place this late in the season. I guess miracles do happen sometimes.

But yeah, bring on college football. Looking forward to labor day weekend as always.

Ell De La Cruz has been a sparkplug for them, as soon as they brought him up they have been on fire

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2023 11:51AM

It sucks like every year!!! I look forward to the NFL and NHL and my nightly routine. Baseball simply does not cut it for me and neither does the CFL (Canadian football league).

I play more video games and read more books that is OK but looking forward for Edmonton to hit the ice and also see what Connor Bedard is all about over in Chicago.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Baseballs great, but this is a tough time of the year for it. Theres been enough games where you can mostly see who the contenders are and whose out of the race, but theres so much of the season left that you cant really get excited about the divisional or wild card races yet. It always takes a couple weeks after the intensity of Omaha to really get back into regular season baseball, doesnt help either that MLB has spent the last two years making drastic rule changes telling us how bad the product is and why they need to "fix" it

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about college football season?

I'll even welcome A. Rodgers B's being busted.

Have a nice day
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about college football season?

I'll even welcome A. Rodgers B's being busted.

Have a nice day

@coolstanley said:

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:

hey emeraldATV,

ya gotta help me out with your pic...I'm lost on that one... :)

@GroceryRackPack said:

@emeraldATV said:

hey emeraldATV,

Don't bother asking, he never reveals the answer

@perkdog said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@emeraldATV said:

hey emeraldATV,

Don't bother asking, he never reveals the answer

I'm gonna say that the pic there is leftover rubble from when the King Dome got demolished... :)

Oh Wow...

Thank you @AFLfan ...Thank you @Stone193
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    It sucks like every year!!! I look forward to the NFL and NHL and my nightly routine. Baseball simply does not cut it for me and neither does the CFL (Canadian football league).

I play more video games and read more books that is OK but looking forward for Edmonton to hit the ice and also see what Connor Bedard is all about over in Chicago.

hey PillarDollarCollector,

I'm with ya on that about Connor... this late fall-early winter; the Madhouse on Madison will be very crazy...
    from Saturday's Chicago Sun Times...

and hopefully he'll appear showing on a Blaster... :)

I hope McDavid wins his 1st Cup in 2023-24. This will be his 8th NHL season so time is passing by. LV may get it again they seem to be that good. Would be strange if McDavid never gets a Cup ring. A stain on his amazing career. Now he will also have to compete with Chicago and Bedard starting this coming season.

I will be following Chicago closely this season. Want to see how good this young superstar in the making is.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@emeraldATV said:

hey emeraldATV,

One day just playing around with my micro camera and I saw this image.
    I am an all sports type of fan (not basketball though).
    I saw this image of a goal post, the modern Y post, not the old version, H post style).
    I thought it looked cool enough, as the image was untouched by me, showing two images.
    A goal post and a football.
    So I filed the photo on a stick in my hmmm file.
    I too miss the game when not in season, and I thought this photo was over due.
    Can't tell you if it was good or not. But can you feel it ?
    LOL

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a time in this country that the big 3 sports dominated the headlines.
    Baseball
    Boxing
    Horse Racing

Unfortunately as a now casual fan of baseball I can only name a handful of major leaguers.
    I have no idea who the Heavy weight champion is
    And if my posts about the triple crown are any indication there is very little casual interest on this board for horses.

Yes my friends FOOTBALL is king in this country and this is the last month without it until February

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@emeraldATV said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@emeraldATV said:

hey emeraldATV,

One day just playing around with my micro camera and I saw this image.
    I am an all sports type of fan (not basketball though).
    I saw this image of a goal post, the modern Y post, not the old version, H post style).
    I thought it looked cool enough, as the image was untouched by me, showing two images.
    A goal post and a football.
    So I filed the photo on a stick in my hmmm file.
    I too miss the game when not in season, and I thought this photo was over due.
    Can't tell you if it was good or not. But can you feel it ?
    LOL

Wow!! It sure looks like a FG kick

Thank you for the explanation, I didn't think you would do that

I can't believe there are only 71 Red Sox games left to play before they go into the playoffs
    It seems the season just started,

It's been a long week waiting for the 2nd half of the season to open up with no baseball worth watching.

edited July 13, 2023 5:04PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I can't believe there are only 71 Red Sox games left to play before they go into the playoffs
    It seems the season just started,

It's been a long week waiting for the 2nd half of the season to open up with no baseball worth watching.

Baseball is the only thing in town this month

• RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭

This is finally going to be the year the Dolphins wins a 1st round playoff game. Haven't won't a 1st round playoff game since 2000.
    Arriba Los Dolphinos de Miami!

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    This is finally going to be the year the Dolphins wins a 1st round playoff game. Haven't won't a 1st round playoff game since 2000.
    Arriba Los Dolphinos de Miami!

That's if Tua stays healthy

Greedy is the word! Is that not enough money to keep him happy for the rest of his life?

Its a low contract for Barkley. Hes already guaranteed over 10 million was the franchise tag and this is his one chance to get paid. Next year the tag would give him more. He basically wants more guaranteed money than the two tags. Its easy to find a serviceable RB its hard to find an elite one. He was their leading rusher and was tied with the most catches as a WR last year.

Sitting out a season really wouldnt be the worst thing for a RB to recover nor would missing some games. I dont get why people call players greedy for wanting to get paid by multibillionaire owners and teams. I understand the hesitancy to pay a RB but it doesnt make him greedy and the elite ones do need to try and get more guaranteed money because if they cant none of them can

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited July 14, 2023 3:26PM

@Basebal21 said:
    Its a low contract for Barkley. Hes already guaranteed over 10 million was the franchise tag and this is his one chance to get paid. Next year the tag would give him more. He basically wants more guaranteed money than the two tags. Its easy to find a serviceable RB its hard to find an elite one. He was their leading rusher and was tied with the most catches as a WR last year.

Sitting out a season really wouldnt be the worst thing for a RB to recover nor would missing some games. I dont get why people call players greedy for wanting to get paid by multibillionaire owners and teams. I understand the hesitancy to pay a RB but it doesnt make him greedy and the elite ones do need to try and get more guaranteed money because if they cant none of them can

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfls-highest-paid-running-backs-144102271.html

Umm 19.5 a year guaranteed is a great offer for a RB in today's market

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

He wasnt guaranteed 19.5 a year it was 19.5 total. Hes already guaranteed almost 11 million from the tag. 19.5 is less than hed get if they tagged him next year. Its really not a good offer

The Giants need him much more than he needs the Giants.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

The Giants have a chance to become a very good team. He needs to sign to be part of a winner.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited July 16, 2023 4:40AM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

He wasnt guaranteed 19.5 a year it was 19.5 total. Hes already guaranteed almost 11 million from the tag. 19.5 is less than hed get if they tagged him next year. Its really not a good offer

My mistake for not thoroughly reading it, it was click bait from.the NY Post, it popped up in my Google feed

I can see the argument for him not signing for 13 a year but I can say I dont think he should sit out like Lev Bell did

edited July 15, 2023 1:43PM

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

My mistake for not thoroughly reading it, it was click bait from.the NY Post, it popped up in my Google feed

I can see the argument for him not signing for 13 a year but I can say I do t thi k he should sit out like Lev Bell did

I think he should sit out if they wont up the guaranteed money. Theres an injury risk but if they franchised tagged him twice hed be guaranteed more money than their current offer. The next tag would be at least 12 million if not more and they already have to pay over 10 million this year.

Running backs are pretty plug and play, they really dont need all the preseason reps and things like that. He can do what he needs to in order to be ready to go right away sitting out as long as he doesnt get lazy. His leverage would just increase if they lose the first couple games without him.

This is basically his only chance and if they arent even matching what hed be guaranteed by getting the franchise tag twice they really arent giving him a very good offer

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

He averaged 4.4 yards a carry. Nearly a quarter of his entire season's worth of rushing came in just 2 games, against a not-good Tennessee team and a terrible Houston team (316 of 1312 yards).

He's definitely more than serviceable but elite? Nah.

Days

W.C.Fields

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

He averaged 4.4 yards a carry. Nearly a quarter of his entire season's worth of rushing came in just 2 games, against a not-good Tennessee team and a terrible Houston team (316 of 1312 yards).

He's definitely more than serviceable but elite? Nah.

He was 4th in the league for rushing yards playing on a team with terrible WRs that didnt really open the field for him. He was also tied for the most receptions on the Giants. Hes had some injury issues but hes an elite RB when hes healthy. The Giants just arent a very good team or a high powered offense.

Despite the contract Daniel Jones just really isnt a good QB and that makes a RBs life much harder. Other than looking like a good video game QB theres no reason he should have been paid like that

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

for a position with as short a lifespan as RB, sitting out a full season would be an unbelievably bad financial decision for Barkley. He will never be able to earn that $ back. ever. ask Leveon Bell. He needs to get paid right now. if that means 2 consecutive tags, that may be the best he will get. no one is paying him the contract Mccaffrey got.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

edited July 17, 2023 4:14PM

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

for a position with as short a lifespan as RB, sitting out a full season would be an unbelievably bad financial decision for Barkley. He will never be able to earn that $ back. ever. ask Leveon Bell. He needs to get paid right now. if that means 2 consecutive tags, that may be the best he will get. no one is paying him the contract Mccaffrey got.

Sitting out can give the body a refresh. Of course you have actually make sure you are staying in game shape if you sit out. Missing the preseason and camp isnt really a bad thing for RBs, Tomlinson essentially skipped those trying to reduce the wear on his body.

The Steelers running game got worse when Bell sat out. Bell also got 27 mil guaranteed which is significantly more than the Giants have offered Barkley even though their offense basically depends on him. The guaranteed money is the big issue. He pretty much knows that barring a big injury their plan is to just tag him twice or let him walk on the second tag if the team is a dumpster fire. Two tags would be more guaranteed money than the offer.

I dont necessarily;y blame them for not wanting to pay a RB as I wouldnt, I will never blame a player for trying to get what they should be paid. Their offense is really bad without him at the moment. Drafting Hyatt should help and drafting Gray basically means they have intentions to move on from him or would at least like the option to do so

Missouri 14 OSU 3

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/franchise-tag-deadline-yields-no-deals-whats-next-for-disgruntled-rbs-teams-who-chose-not-to-extend-them/

No deal for Barkley and Jacobs

Sitting out a season is extremely costly, you lose a year of service which knocks down the pension a bit as well. But some guys are willing to play that hand.

edited July 18, 2023 10:19AM

to go... :)

W.C.Fields