Home Q & A Forum
Options

Q: approximate value of this 1875 U.S. coin, please? Asking for a friend

CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
edited July 7, 2023 7:45PM in Q & A Forum

Hello,

I have a friend at work clearing out his Father's estate, and he found this coin. I tried to research it a bit using Heritage completed auctions, but I soon found out that this coin can have variations which greatly affect the price. I collect cardboard, but not coins,

Could someone here please give an estimate to the value of this coin? What would be his best way to sell it? Thanks for any information!

Here are the photos:

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2023 12:48PM

That looks like a type 1 Obverse with a type 2 Reverse
    Not in the best of condition and uncertified but if genuine, probably worth around $300.00

• Options

@Greenstang said:
    That looks like a type 1 Obverse with a type 2 Reverse
    Not in the best of condition and uncertified but if genuine, probably worth around $300.00

Interesting. Thanks very much for the initial info!

• Options

Thata rare 1873 coin.I value it at 100000.thanks to booby bones and doctor Lori for helping to value

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be cleaned, many trade dollars were.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it does look cleaned and I'd put the value a bit lower at $150-$200 which may be closer to what your friend should expect to receive. You can try the BST board here for free and even ask for offers.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    Looks to be cleaned, many trade dollars were.

@sellitstore said:
    Yes, it does look cleaned and I'd put the value a bit lower at $150-$200 which may be closer to what your friend should expect to receive. You can try the BST board here for free and even ask for offers.

Thanks for the information -- much appreciated and will pass along. B)

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put it here on BST. I know I would consider buying the coin. I just bought a trade dollar on bst. These don't seem top come up for sale often either. I hope you decide to list it. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members