Home U.S. Coin Forum

Different PCGS labels?

Russell12Russell12 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭✭

Any idea on why these labels are different for the same coin? One has the date ion the upper left corner.

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom one is a fake is my bet, but there have been some custom labels done so it could be that too.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman
    What say Ye?

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2023 8:39AM

Im thinking either mechanical error or counterfeit slab, but both slabs look ok to me from what I can tell. Leaning towards mechanical error.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a number of those labels with "buffalo" in the top left on eBay right now from multiple sellers both proof and MS versions. I'd say it's a real label.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both are real and what you are seeing is merely the difference in PCGS generation, which has already been pointed out and @U1chicago has done a very nice job of summarizing.

However, not all commems had their coin and series number omitted during the early blue holders. I own the first PCGS blue insert coin that I had ever seen and received it back from PCGS in October, 1998. When I sent it into PCGS in September, 1998 there were no blue holders and all PCGS inserts were the then-current green inserts, but when I received the coin back we (all the dealers on the bourse floor) were stunned to see it with a blue insert. The coin is an 1892 Columbian half dollar and when returned to me it had both the coin and series number on the insert. An image is below.

It is my opinion that PCGS was still attempting to figure out what worked best on the new blue inserts and that some coins had combinations of data that were not representative of the greater pool.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2023 1:41PM

On commemoratives and ASEs, the type and date switched places now and then over time.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real, of course.
    The second one is of a scarcer variety. (Not rare, simply somewhat scarce.)
    I was attempting to collect a few Ike dollars with that exact label and gave up after a bit.
    I find these are generally found on modern commemorative coins- for whatever reason.

peacockcoins

• KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭

There were also slight rearrangements when they added the bar code between the generations pictured above.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are different generations of PCGS slabs. Both slabs are real, the bottom one is an older generation slab.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭

The problem is they are creating so many different inserts that they are becoming a "misleading" sales tactic for dealers. They'll promote the slabbed coin as ONE of only FOUR in existence.........but it turns out it is one of only four with THAT insert. I've seen many Silver Eagles marketed that way.....when there are literally hundreds or thousands of the same coin and grade but with a DIFFERENT insert making it SEEM like it's scarce. Buyer beware! ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file