Home U.S. Coin Forum

Broken Rattler….any options?

johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I finally got the last piece to my short set of MS65 rattlers, 1878 to 89. I picked up the beautiful 1888 Morgan rattler and DROPPED IT. Both the 88 and 84 crashed to the ground but the 84 survived. Unfortunately it was a duplicate I picked up. The 88 is the one I needed and I cracked it.

Is there even 1% chance PCGS will reholder with the original label at least? If not, any suggestions?

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Seriously, not to bad.
    I'd leave it as is.
    I think you're simply dialing in more pain if you attempt- unsuccessfully- at having PCGS remedy this.

Agree

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

No biggie, its still intact sans a crack. Just get I tstickered and you will have a gorgeous set.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can't live with the cracked slab then start searching for another 1888 in a rattler.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    If you can't live with the cracked slab then start searching for another 1888 in a rattler.

I’ve already got calls in. Seriously can’t believe I damaged a slab like this.

@RobertScotLover said:
    No biggie, its still intact sans a crack. Just get I tstickered and you will have a gorgeous set.

I’m thinking to send them all in except one that’s on my upgrade list. Not sure how I feel about stickering a cracked slab.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is very likely not going to help you with this. Leave it alone and/or search for another. As for a sticker on a cracked slab; truly, who cares? The coin is the coin and the slab has only a very minimal imperfection. Of course, if you have OCD then that is a different kettle of fish.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is unfortunate and could impact the value to a slab collector. I am 99.99% sure that PCGS has no rattler slabs in the back that they could replace yours with.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I have found rattlers to be scarce for certain series- many moderns come to mind. As for Morgans? I honestly don't think so.
    On a side note: The OP's set does make for a wonderful display and it is as I'd imagine a fun pastime in acquiring the various dates/mints in these older slabs.

peacockcoins

I called PCGS to discuss but as of lunch (5 hours before closing PST) they have reached the maximum call back volume for the day. Assuming I might be out of luck on a 24 year old holder but they have been very popular over the years.

TomB not sure it’s ocd but looking at the mistake isn’t much fun either.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if something like this would make the crack invisible or at least less noticeable 🤔

Mr_Spud

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch! Character added. Now you have another story to go with the set. Unfortunate, but at least it's not terrible or in the center of viewing the coin. IMO, I'd leave it and get it CAC stickered with the rest. CAC is for the coin, not the holder. If you come upon another to replace it down the road, then all is good.

Any attempt to repair may just make it worse or even more noticable.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• KoveKove Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple rattlers with minor cracks like that and the cracks don't bother me a bit. They quickly fade into the background for me..

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

That’s a minor crack. Leave it alone and enjoy the set.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put one of those tiny band-aids across it and have a chuckle at your own expense every time you see it.

Collector, occasional seller

@ChrisH821 said:
    Put one of those tiny band-aids across it and have a chuckle at your own expense every time you see it.

I needed that. Thanks

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Seriously, not to bad.
    I'd leave it as is.
    I think you're simply dialing in more pain if you attempt- unsuccessfully- at having PCGS remedy this.

Agree 99%.

The other 1%? Not "too" bad. 😁

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2023 4:13PM

I can tell that you’re bothered by this, as I would be, so I would sell it and look for another one.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an engineer, I have to say JB Weld fixes everything! The slab will not look pretty though.

Keep in mind many superglues give off intense fumes, some of which may be harmful for a coin. You do not want to glue it and seal any harmful substance inside. I definitely would leave the coin as is.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@gumby1234 said:

I’ve already got calls in. Seriously can’t believe I damaged a slab like this.

It's gonna happen at times, fwiw

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the crack is shallow you can try to (carefully) buff it out with a Dremel. I did that once with a Redfield slab.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    So I finally got the last piece to my short set of MS65 rattlers, 1878 to 89. I picked up the beautiful 1888 Morgan rattler and DROPPED IT. Both the 88 and 84 crashed to the ground but the 84 survived. Unfortunately it was a duplicate I picked up. The 88 is the one I needed and I cracked it.

Is there even 1% chance PCGS will reholder with the original label at least? If not, any suggestions?

There is no way that PCGS will put an old insert like that into a current slab. That would just set things up for a whole nuther round of counterfeiting for one.

theknowitalltroll;

@LeeBone said:
    Purchased an 1879-CC in a Rattler a while back. So happy to have this Date/MM in an old holder. Off to the Bean company it went with a few other coins. As soon as I opened up the return package the only slab to fall to the tile floor was the 79-CC. Cracked the slab. :s

What to do? :/

Back to our host to remedy the situation.

Came back like this. A little easier to accept my clumsiness, I guess.

60 rattler and a bean or 62 new holder no bean? Seems I’d still go with your original results. At least you can relate to how I felt. Never picked anything up off the floor so fast in my life.

Hey if you want to sell that 78 let me know.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

60 rattler and a bean or 62 new holder no bean? Seems I’d still go with your original results. At least you can relate to how I felt. Never picked anything up off the floor so fast in my life.

Hey if you want to sell that 78 let me know.

I also would rather have it in the rattler, just not ideal long term with the crack.
    Had no other option but to reholder.

If I do upgrade the 78-S I will let you know. :)

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeBone said:
    Purchased an 1879-CC in a Rattler a while back. So happy to have this Date/MM in an old holder. Off to the Bean company it went with a few other coins. As soon as I opened up the return package the only slab to fall to the tile floor was the 79-CC. Cracked the slab. :s

What to do? :/

Back to our host to remedy the situation.

Came back like this. A little easier to accept my clumsiness, I guess.

You definitely came out ahead on that one!!

Now, you just need another trip to the bean factory!! >:):D;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not use any glue, that crack will pull the glue into the holder and the off gas may be a problem. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not worry about it.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you assess the coin for grade? If it's a mid grade MS65 Morgan it should stand on its own merits and ultimately get graded the same when the time comes. Some are not fans of the old rattlers as technology has improved.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just stay away from slab collectors, they are not true coin collectors.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file