Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1952 Bowman Mickey Mantle - Fake?

I recently obtained this card that came from an estate sale. The question I have is how do I semi-check to make sure this is not a fake? I researched this card for days and cannot see anything that looks familiar. If this is a fake, why would someone make it this bad? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2023 7:21AM

My gut thinks it’s real…given the aging appearance. JMHO

I would have PSA grade it…probably would grade PSA authentic or PSA-1. If so…nice pickup.

mint_only_pls
  • burghmanburghman Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with jfkheat… I have no experience with the card or year, but someone in this forum years ago pointed out that corners never wear evenly. That and the fact that they are almost perfectly rounded has me leaning towards it being a fake.

Jim

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

This is fake. Symmetrical corner rounding and uniform surface and edge wear/discoloration are the give aways.

• BliggityBliggity Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

100% fake, not even close. Artificial aging, wrong cardstock, bad colors, artificial corner wear, etc.

• @chas707 said:
    I recently obtained this card that came from an estate sale. The question I have is how do I semi-check to make sure this is not a fake? I researched this card for days and cannot see anything that looks familiar. If this is a fake, why would someone make it this bad? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks for all the comments and I understand them. My question is why would someone fake a card this bad as well as I searched and searched and could not find one like this. tks, I'll just hang on to it for now

• also, i did find this one on ebay rounded corners and centered?

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2023 3:28PM

I would send it to PSA…

mint_only_pls
  • swish54swish54 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭

They would fake it that bad so someone will buy it thinking it's real because it's in such bad shape.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with above but also Mantl's face is relatively clear. All around the exterior is coloring.

My other question is what others were with it?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I would send it to PSA…

I agree. If it's fake they won't charge you because they won't grade it, and if it's real then you get a sweet graded card.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

@mintonlypls said:
    I would send it to PSA…

I agree. If it's fake they won't charge you because they won't grade it, and if it's real then you get a sweet graded card.

They still charge you if the card is not authentic.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

FAKE

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going with fake as well. That's my initial reaction to those rounded corners. It just seems too obvious.

Daniel
  • Hey folks did you look at the PSA graded card I uploaded? Seem rounded corners that are similar can still be a real card. This card came from an estate auction. I'll probably bite the bullet and send it in just to see, Thanks for all the comments, appreciated.

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can afford it, I'd send it in to be graded by PSA or SGC. It's the only way to know for sure. If its real, I'm guessing it was trimmed - those rounded corners are too neat. It will come back "authentic" like the PSA example shown. Peace of mind and the best route if you ever want to sell it.

• SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

It would be worth the gamble to send it to SGC for grading at $24 plus shipping.

Without having it in hand, it can be tough to tell whether it is a counterfeit from photos (unless it is blatantly obvious). The print quality on your example does not scream fake to me right away. Even corner wear and nice centering does not immediately mean fake either, and card stock can look different than usual in a photo or if a card was stored incorrectly and/or around moisture. Typically with counterfeit issues of this card, the card stock under the corner and edge wear appears brighter - this example is not showing that in the photos, but it would be obvious in person if you know what you're looking for.

I've seen some perfectly legit examples get called "fake" on the forums over the years, and some blatant counterfeits get called "real", so you never know what level of expertise the person has replying on the forums.

@grote15 said:

@BBBrkrr said:

@mintonlypls said:
    I would send it to PSA…

They still charge you if the card is not authentic.

Good to know.

• @SmithAuctionCo said:
    It would be worth the gamble to send it to SGC for grading at $24 plus shipping.

This right here. I think it's fake judging by what others have pointed out and I feel the color looks unnatural on his face. But if it's eating at you go ahead and drop a few bucks and know for sure. Best of luck and post your results should you send it in.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chas707 said:
    Hey folks did you look at the PSA graded card I uploaded? Seem rounded corners that are similar can still be a real card. This card came from an estate auction. I'll probably bite the bullet and send it in just to see, Thanks for all the comments, appreciated.

I would almost guess that the one in the PSA slab is fake as well. Possibly a fake slab or a switched card.

Also, I get your point with the rounded corners, but if you look at the difference, your card has full color on the face and hat. There is zero chance that a card has that much wear on the rest of the card but none in that area. The card is fake and the fact that it was in an "estate auction" doesn't exactly help it. There's tons of that stuff that is thrown in there to suck in unsuspecting buyers.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • @PROMETHIUS88 said:

@chas707 said:
    Hey folks did you look at the PSA graded card I uploaded? Seem rounded corners that are similar can still be a real card. This card came from an estate auction. I'll probably bite the bullet and send it in just to see, Thanks for all the comments, appreciated.

I would almost guess that the one in the PSA slab is fake as well. Possibly a fake slab or a switched card.

Also, I get your point with the rounded corners, but if you look at the difference, your card has full color on the face and hat. There is zero chance that a card has that much wear on the rest of the card but none in that area. The card is fake and the fact that it was in an "estate auction" doesn't exactly help it. There's tons of that stuff that is thrown in there to suck in unsuspecting buyers.

How can I tell if the PSA slab is fake?

• SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

@chas707 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@chas707 said:

The PSA slab in question is NOT fake - nor is the card within it. https://www.psacard.com/cert/63798656

But, there are a few easy ways to spot counterfeit slabs via a scan or photo - most of which have to do with the font used on the labels. A lot of older counterfeits used fonts that did not match any PSA label style and are instant tells that the slab is not good. It is very difficult for someone to "swap" a card into a legit holder without evidence showing on the sides of the holder. And swapping a card into one of PSA's newer holders is virtually impossible with its new design, so the majority of swapped cards appear in the older holder styles.

• @SmithAuctionCo said:

@chas707 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@chas707 said:

The PSA slab in question is NOT fake - nor is the card within it. https://www.psacard.com/cert/63798656

But, there are a few easy ways to spot counterfeit slabs via a scan or photo - most of which have to do with the font used on the labels. A lot of older counterfeits used fonts that did not match any PSA label style and are instant tells that the slab is not good. It is very difficult for someone to "swap" a card into a legit holder without evidence showing on the sides of the holder. And swapping a card into one of PSA's newer holders is virtually impossible with its new design, so the majority of swapped cards appear in the older holder styles.

Thanks for the clarification, good to know

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep your hopes on the absolute extreme low end.

If I were buying, what I would see, is within the dirty wear on the front edges I see too much bright white within the muck where possible artificial wear was 'missed' being added.

The back wear along the edges and corners where I see what looks like a 'layered look' where the back layer is worn further than the front paper stock, and the 'stain' is adhered to the back layer showing as thin dark line of 'coffee color' while the front layer(back of front layer) is free from that color.

Compared to a similarly worn 1952 authentic Bowman Mantle:

Also, as pointed out, there is such extreme wear to edges and corners, but the front of the card remains remarkably preserved.

If you compare your card and its accelerated wear:

To another legit card that sustained similar wear to edges and corners:

The legit card is a true worn out card while your card appears to have had the edges and corners have wear added.

I say appears as one never knows based on pictures. But if I were buying, that is what I would see.

Good advice given on sending to SGC for $24(plus two way shipping), then you will know for sure.

Or buy a few cheap worn 1952 bowman commons and feel for difference in stock and color etc....

• @1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    I would keep your hopes on the absolute extreme low end.

If I were buying, what I would see, is within the dirty wear on the front edges I see too much bright white within the muck where possible artificial wear was 'missed' being added.

The back wear along the edges and corners where I see what looks like a 'layered look' where the back layer is worn further than the front paper stock, and the 'stain' is adhered to the back layer showing as thin dark line of 'coffee color' while the front layer(back of front layer) is free from that color.

Compared to a similarly worn 1952 authentic Bowman Mantle:

Also, as pointed out, there is such extreme wear to edges and corners, but the front of the card remains remarkably preserved.

If you compare your card and its accelerated wear:

To another legit card that sustained similar wear to edges and corners:

The legit card is a true worn out card while your card appears to have had the edges and corners have wear added.

I say appears as one never knows based on pictures. But if I were buying, that is what I would see.

Good advice given on sending to SGC for $24(plus two way shipping), then you will know for sure.

Or buy a few cheap worn 1952 bowman commons and feel for difference in stock and color etc....

great reply - i will send it into SGC so I can alleviate my concerns

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

Save your money. That card isn't real.

• Blindmelon5Blindmelon5 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

It looks the card was scissor cut back in the day. I think it’s real. Only thing that makes question is the color. Not sure if that’s your scan or not

• OK, I'm biting the bullet and sent the card to SGC. I will advise when I get it back.

@chas707 said:
    OK, I'm biting the bullet and sent the card to SGC. I will advise when I get it back.

Cool. SGC is pretty fast - my last 3 orders have turned in about two weeks, door to door. Looking forward to seeing the verdict!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible tea stained fake

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious to know how this will turn out

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:

@chas707 said:
    OK, I'm biting the bullet and sent the card to SGC. I will advise when I get it back.

Cool. SGC is pretty fast - my last 3 orders have turned in about two weeks, door to door. Looking forward to seeing the verdict!

Interesting...how did you do on your last three SGC orders? Inquiring minds want to know!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Cakes said:

@Chicago1976 said:

@chas707 said:

Interesting...how did you do on your last three SGC orders? Inquiring minds want to know!

lol...nothing too crazy impressive or valuable. Mostly mid-grade vintage Cubs and Bears for my PC. Working on some 1950's Cubs sets. I posted a few pics over on the monthy "show us your new pick ups" threads.

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Best of luck. Did you get it for a good deal or did you have some competition?

• Well the verdict is in and the Mickey Mantle is a fake. Oh well I fell for the came from an estate auction. Good thing is it only cost me $40

I appreciate all the help tks charley

@chas707 said:
    Well the verdict is in and the Mickey Mantle is a fake. Oh well I fell for the came from an estate auction. Good thing is it only cost me $40

I appreciate all the help tks charley

Sorry to hear that. Always a bummer when that type thing happens.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chas707 said:
    Oh well I fell for the came from an estate auction.

Wait, I thought you purchased it from an estate auction? More like came from the perp's basement!

• swish54swish54 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭

That's too bad! Live and learn. Sometimes the gambles work out and sometimes they don't. It's just part of it.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't sweat it. I have blown $40 on a lot dumber stuff. Just think, if it had turned out to be real, that 40 dollars would have been legendary.

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was too late to the party. I was thinking fake due to the copyright logo next to the 1952 as well as some of the markers already pointed out. Clear. clean picture, evenly rounded corners and not the hint of a bend or crease.

Mark

• CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2023 7:11PM

@burghman said:
    I agree with jfkheat… I have no experience with the card or year, but someone in this forum years ago pointed out that corners never wear evenly. That and the fact that they are almost perfectly rounded has me leaning towards it being a fake.

These corners were probably cut with scissors at some point. That doesn't make it fake. People used to do strange stuff to cards.