Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does this coin qualify for PCGS Restoration?

I have a 1901 Swiss one franc that has (IMO) some unattractive toning. I was going to send it in with a group of coins for grading, but thought it might be eligible for restoration. The problem is that, should I send it in for restoration and PCGS determines it isn't eligible, I end up with effectively a one coin submission, which would be more expensive than including it in the larger group for grading. So, the question is whether this particular coin would end up getting restored.

I would value any forum member's opinion on the likelihood of PCGS agreeing the coin should be restored.

Here are a couple of photos:

and:

Thanks!

Comments

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭✭

A 1901 franc? Are you kidding Greig? You should have already sent it. 🙏

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭✭

What condition are you looking to restore? You stated that you like the color.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

The TPGs are really on to a winner when they can charge you to dip your own coins and not devalue them by calling them 'cleaned'.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have found that a bit of a problem. Or sometimes will go ahead and dip/restore and then call it "cleaned" or the like. Yikes....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you do not like this one consider selling it and using that money towards one you like.

I see more downside in any effort to restore this one as it will then have a processed look that will simply not help the cause.

Best of luck in whatever you decide

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a coin that's better as-is. I'm also worried that a restoration/cleaning will make the scratches in the fields on both sides of Helvetia more noticeable.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion from the images is that this coin will be harmed by a dip and certainly not helped.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2023 8:00PM

I think much of that toning is on there deeply enough such that you'll end up with splotchy matte surfaces in those areas from a traditional "dip". I also think that, as noted, those obv. scratches are... definitely there.

Also, am I missing something?? Quick Krause and archive check and this is not any kind of amazingly special date... and it looks AU detail - scratched, not UNC.

PS - coin doesn't look terrible as is, I don't think... An acetone or Goo-Gone dip MAY be in order, as the periphery might be a tad cruddy, but nothing to try to bleach it white. Probably best left as-is if you don't know what you're doing.

• ClioClio Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe this coin would grade AU details with or without conservation by you or PCGS.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• gscoinsgscoins Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

I very much appreciate everyone’s comments! I am going to send this coin in without requesting restoration. The 1901 1/2, 1 and 2 franc coins generally are tough, although the 1 franc is the least difficult of the three.

Thanks to all!!

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

There should be no problems with getting an MS grade.

That toning is typical for that era. It looks to have variegated blue, purple, green, and orange toning in the fields up against the devices. This is also the colors I'd expect to see for an "un-messed with" Swiss silver.

Well, the helpful folks who commented on this coin deserve an update.

I submitted the coin to PCGS for grading; I took no actions to "improve" the coin's appearance, following the general run of folks' advice to leave it alone. It came back as a 64, which struck me as a little on the high side. But I'm not complaining!!

I should add that, somewhat to my surprise, the whole grading process from receipt to shipping was 2 months, 4 days. In view of the problems others have been having getting submissions completed, this turnaround was pretty quick.

• ClioClio Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graded far better than my read from your images. Congrats!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• atomatom Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭

MS64 is definitely a pleasant surprise based on your images
    Can you post the true view image?
    Better dates (rarer coins) will at times benefit from looser grading.
    Great decision not to conserve.

I would like to see the true view image as well. Not so sure 64 is a complete surprise but perhaps the result may help you re-think whether this one is a keeper. If you still don't like it, the brighter side of the bright side is that you can sell this one for more to buy one that you may like. Consider satisfaction in what you now own.

Here's the True View picture:

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gscoins is that die polish in the obverse fields then? Or are there actually vertical hairline scratches there?

Unfortunately, the coin is now in the SDB, so I cannot pull it out to answer scubafuel's question. My memory is that they are most likely scratches, but if they are they did not disqualify the coin from a straight grade in the graders' opinion.

• A fortuitous grade!!

It's in now, no backsies...

I suspect the lines present are from die polishing.