Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

On line inventories are skimpy

It used to be that several major dealers had extensive on line inventories. Now they are gone with suggestions to email them wish lists. I used to enjoy browsing but don't like being 'confined' so to speak with lists. Are prices to volatile? Is the major outlet for selling now the auctions?

Comments

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭

My LCS has an extensive online inventory.

https://www.coinsandstamps.com/foreigncoins/foreign_coins.html

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMHO, I think it's a struggle for some to find new inventory. Demand is fairly strong so there is competition when items become available.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    JMHO, I think it's a struggle for some to find new inventory. Demand is fairly strong so there is competition when items become available.

The OP didn't specify the price point or their area of interest. That's also a factor.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possibly that those dealer's businesses are waning? There is a constant rise and fall of the business.

I think new, good material has been slow to come this year. A couple dealers I buy from have been slow with online business because I assume they're able to sell everything they need to at shows and in other selling outlets.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Coming back to this, Teller and Steinberg had significant on line catalogs. Steinberg has periodic large lists at World Coin News. They still advertise that they will take want lists and want to buy. However, I do like to browse as compared to a want list.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many great coins are put away in both collector and dealer collections.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly I am not seeing much in Heritage showcase auctions either.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Two interesting observations this week, one old school and the other new school.

Old school, (US dealer) happen to talk to him this week. He received a batch of fresh material. Most of the good stuff was sold in one or two days to collectors or other dealers with want list with him. Most of the batch did not make it to inventory. Pays to have good connections and communication.

New school, discovered this week that some dealers (CRO) post new material on social media (instagram). Again, new inventory gets sold before it hits the inventory or even early bird email.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dizzlecc said:

New school, discovered this week that some dealers (CRO) post new material on social media (instagram). Again, new inventory gets sold before it hits the inventory or even early bird email.

I've always assumed this is not a new way of doing business. Social media makes it more visible than it used to be.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me